Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That’s America.
I don't see the fuss here.

A free person should be able to determine how his or her life to be treated or not.

For example, I have my own limit. If the treatment is over $X, I don't want to be treated at all and prefer death than going to debt.

I am not sure why it's difficult for so many people to understand - we aren't entitled to live. We are entitled to live based on our own ability. The only people who should be responsible for our life are: ourselves and our parents.

Nobody else should be forced at gunpoint to foot my medical bill, education, housing, food stamps or my unemployment benefits so that I can live on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Supplemental health insurance covers dental, eye care and prescriptions ( if your province doesn't cover them ) and is usually included with your employment.

There is a push for a national Pharmacare program and rumblings about dental and eye care perhaps being covered one day.

Once again, the Fraser Institute is a biased right-wing think tank sponsored in part by the American Koch Bros. Their goal is to rid Canada of UHC and public education.

Anyone with a brain in Canada, just laughs them off.

But back to the original story the OP posted.

Never would happen in Canada. People don't fret over the costs of an ambulance, even if it's an air rescue ambulance.

So the source invalidates the data? Which part of the data do you dispute?

Please explain how you can have unlimited resources . Well one reason I suppose is Canada does not fund NATO up to its obligations or take in illegal immigrants.

And note I did not say what is better. I just said there is a cost. Apparently you think people who find the compromise should be smeared as being evil because they found the compromise.

And why are the costs in the US too high? Either we are spending more because we want more or there is a monopoly at work. And monopolies are usually the result of the same entity you want to rescue you, da guberment.

Here is another reason

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle10812604/
"Of more than 4,000 lawsuits filed against doctors from 2005 to 2010, only 2 per cent resulted in trial verdicts for the victim."

McKiggan points out that most doctors are defended by the Canadian Medical Protection Association which has about $2.7-billion in assets according to its 2010 annual statement. So the CMPA has deep pockets for waging protracted legal battles.
Malpractice Systems in Other Countries - Emergency Physicians Monthly
Sweden’s average award for 2004: $22,000. US median award for 2005: $400,000 with 21% of awards being more than $1 million.
Internists in Canada pay between $1800 and $3200 per year for malpractice insurance. Internists in Cook County and Madison County, Illinois pay more than $41,000 per year. Obstetricians in Cook County pay nearly $180,000 per year in malpractice insurance.

Our malpractice is more expensive. Again if you are one of the lucky ones you will not need it.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 07-03-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I realize it costs a lot of money for these things, but the last thing on my mind if I'm badly injured is not wanting an EMT to assess my injuries and transport me to the hospital.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...etter#comments
Well yeah, but if we treated Americans like human beings, the born-wealthy like Trump might not be able to afford as many gold toilet seats.

Merica.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
To me that's freedom in action. Maybe the leg wasn't hurt badly enough to require an ambulance. Maybe she will see how it is in a few days and drive herself to a quick care if need be. We don't know.

Yes, if we had single payer healthcare, some problems would be solved, but it would create other problems.
Not being able to pay for something, equals freedom? -good to see a positive spin put on declining an ambulance, due to fear of cost.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:47 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,550,068 times
A positive aspect to the story is that many of the people standing on the platform independently worked together in unison to tip the car a bit so that she could be freed.

I took that subway line every work day for over a year (as part of my 1.5 hr commute each way that also included a commuter train ride, car drive to station, and walk from subway to workplace) when I contracted in Boston. I am proud of the riders actions.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow......... cold as ice.........
The guy in question could have bought insurance but went without coverage during the work period with his employer. Now he's going to default on a large medical bill most of which will be passed on to everyone else.

This would be similar to if your country had a large number of tax evaders whom still used all the public benefits so they started raising taxes on those that pay in order to still cover the others.

If this doesn't sound familiar, you should take a refresher on Italy's ongoing economic problems.

What would you do if many of your fellow citizens didn't pay their taxes and there wasn't money to pay for the healthcare your country currently provides?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
100 years ago he would be dead.

Today you have the option to pay for insurance and receive medical assistance to compensate highly trained professionals for their lost opportunity costs, tuition and so on.

Its a dilemma no doubt , but there are consequences for being careless not to being insured and being careless about working in harsh conditions. Our system does expect people to be responsible for their actions.
It sounded like he was working at a job. So his working conditions may not have been under his control. If your employer tells you to jump, you do it.

Are you suggesting that no one works such jobs?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
100 years ago he would be dead.

Today you have the option to pay for insurance and receive medical assistance to compensate highly trained professionals for their lost opportunity costs, tuition and so on.

Its a dilemma no doubt , but there are consequences for being careless not to being insured and being careless about working in harsh conditions. Our system does expect people to be responsible for their actions.
There are many jobs that don't offer insurance and the cost of insurance is beyond the reach of millions of people. That is why people paid the $99 penalty for not signing up for Obamacare. People who work at places like Mc Donalds don't make enough to buy insurance and make too much for Medicaid. Walmart employees can only get insurance when they are full time, that is why most don't get full time hours.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't see the fuss here.

A free person should be able to determine how his or her life to be treated or not.

For example, I have my own limit. If the treatment is over $X, I don't want to be treated at all and prefer death than going to debt.
Popcorn here....... HEY LADY........ popcorn.......thank you.

Carry on. The football doesn't start for an hour yet.......

Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The guy in question could have bought insurance but went without coverage during the work period with his employer. Now he's going to default on a large medical bill most of which will be passed on to everyone else.

This would be similar to if your country had a large number of tax evaders whom still used all the public benefits so they started raising taxes on those that pay in order to still cover the others.

If this doesn't sound familiar, you should take a refresher on Italy's ongoing economic problems.

What would you do if many of your fellow citizens didn't pay their taxes and there wasn't money to pay for the healthcare your country currently provides?
If he's working a dangerous job in 120 degree heat index, he probably really needed the money. If that's the case, he very well may not have been able to afford his own health insurance. In some areas, it costs more than rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies