Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Only US citizens should be able to vote, period 16 80.00%
I oppose, but local elections should be left to the locality, state elections to the state laws, and national elections to national laws 3 15.00%
I support Boston's idea, non-Citizens should vote in local elections 0 0%
I support this decision and Dreamers, Visa holders, and legal residents should vote in nationwide elections too 0 0%
I support and illegal immigrants should have a say too 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times

Advertisements

In order to make local elections more "inclusive" Boston is considering allowing Dreamers, Visa holders, and legal residents vote in upcoming elections.

What do you guys think? Good idea? A slippery slope headed towards non-US citizens voting in nationwide elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
NO! Hell NO!

Old 07-09-2018, 02:35 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,549,185 times
Im pretty sure that my town in Ma allows non citizens to vote in local elections as long as they are residents of the town. It only applies to local elections not state or fed. No big deal.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
I am a Residente Permanente in Mexico. I cannot vote in any election (local or federal) until I become a Mexican citizen.

However, the local government here will occasionally hold NON-binding referendums on various items. The last issue was the design of a new bike path, parking and other streetscape plans. The local government had narrowed down a myriad of plans to the final 3 and asked for local input from residents. They included green card holders such as myself.

It was not an election per se and not even a true referendum as it was non-binding but a way for the government to reach out to residents (not everyone has time to go to "council" meetings afterall and many of the poorer locals do not have internet access to "vote" on line).

I cast a vote for my favorite design and was happy to have an opportunity to do so.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I'm from MA but no, if you're not a citizen you can't vote. Voting is a privilege. We hope that by becoming educated here or going through the process of becoming a citizen, you will have learned enough about our history to understand what you are voting for. Someone who comes from another country probably doesn't really "get it."

Although, after reading the post by dothetwist, maybe anyone residing here legally should be allowed to vote in certain local elections that will pertain to them. I'm not sure about that one.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:32 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Boston is plenty inclusive. Someone just wants to become the next mayor and is trolling for more votes.

I also am supportive of the US Census only counting US citizens. Why should the presence of non-citizens count for how funds get allotted or how we are represented in the government?

And I still don't understand why we have to give illegals free education for their children. Let them pay fees for their children using our schools, especially when their children don't speak English at all or well. What's the point of a better life in the US if the can't speak English?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Boston is plenty inclusive. Someone just wants to become the next mayor and is trolling for more votes.

I also am supportive of the US Census only counting US citizens. Why should the presence of non-citizens count for how funds get allotted or how we are represented in the government?

And I still don't understand why we have to give illegals free education for their children. Let them pay fees for their children using our schools.
As a green card holder in Mexico I am given almost all rights (other than the vote) accorded Mexican citizens. I am entitled to join either of their two national health care plans (one has a small premium the other is free). If I had kids they could go to school here. Since I am over 62 I also am entitled to a Mexican Senior discount card for 1/2 price bus fares, free museum admissions, discounted prescriptions, discounted airfares, etc.

I think you need to be careful in concluding who is LEGAL and who is ILLEGAL....not all Spanish speakers in the US are illegal, many are legal green card holders, some are even citizens. Don't make assumptions based on their accents...unless you have access to their legal paperwork, you have no idea of their status.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
NO! Hell NO!

This one was easy and took less than a second to answer.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:51 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
This is the end game of mass migration for democrats. Votes. They can speed the process along if they allow migrants to vote before becoming citizens or even if they never become citizens. This will set precedents that can be built upon later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies