Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 12:36 PM

34,695 posts, read 16,724,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
As Judge Judy says, " if things don't make sense, they are probably not true." Temperatures have supposedly risen 1.5 to 2 degrees since 1880. They say they are using satellite measurements, but the first ones were not launched until the 1950s. I cannot imagine that Africa, Asia etc. kept very accurate temperature logs in the 1800s. I know they say it is weather, but here in the central part of the US, our heat records are all from 1953-54. Before that 1933. The worst droughts we had were the 1930s. The worst floods, early 1950s and 1993. Even some of the climate scientists say that the computer models have not been accurate.
In the Northeast all of our heat records are from 1936, to be almost exact, July 9, 1936. Our worst droughts were in the 1950s and 1960s, cresting in 1964 and 1965. In 1965 we had under 27" of rain. 49' is now considered "normal" based on a 30 year moving average, but in the 1960's the 30 year moving average was around 40", give or take.

Our rainiest years were 1972 and 1983, both super El Niño years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 01:21 PM

24,490 posts, read 33,209,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What "action" would change anything? As far as records go the latest ones in Oman or whatever sultanate are unreliable. Death Valley's 128° (I think) set in 1913 or 1914 (I think) is probably the most reliable all time high and that's for the United States. Those kind of records are not often being eclipsed. Nor is NYC's 106° or NYS's 108° in Troy, set on July 9, 1936.
Death Valley: 129 degrees F in recent years and 134 degrees F on July 10, 1913.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,000,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Climate is longer term, weather is shorter term - often said that climate is what to expect, weather is what you get.

Even if you don't accept that humanity is warming the planet, you should still aim to use the correct word for any situation.
And similar scientific techniques and methodologies (computer modelling) are used for prediction of both. And those methodologies and that prediction has not performed well and will not perform well for decades or centuries. Climate science is in its infancy. So no, I am not rolling back my use of fossil fuels based on these models and projections. Especially when ALL the practitioners using these predictive models have the exact same politics and leftist agenda. So cooking the books is quite possible, especially since they must "publish or perish", and create armageddonistic fear to keep the grant money flowing. They hated the oil companies before AGW was even a hint of a thing. The advent of AGW is just another tool in the redistributive toolbox of tyranny.

And the third world hellholes all sign on at the United Nations, because the Paris Accords will transfer wealth to their coffers. It's a gravy train, or more accurately, a pig trough. I don't want my country contributing to that.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
As Judge Judy says, " if things don't make sense, they are probably not true." Temperatures have supposedly risen 1.5 to 2 degrees since 1880. They say they are using satellite measurements, but the first ones were not launched until the 1950s. I cannot imagine that Africa, Asia etc. kept very accurate temperature logs in the 1800s. I know they say it is weather, but here in the central part of the US, our heat records are all from 1953-54. Before that 1933. The worst droughts we had were the 1930s. The worst floods, early 1950s and 1993. Even some of the climate scientists say that the computer models have not been accurate.
Exactly, there are no accurate historical temperature records to even BEGIN comparing temperature over time. 50 years is not meaningful statistically. So comparing 2015 with 1965? Meaningless. We need thousands of years of measurement. What we have is some data, but it is not information.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM

10,387 posts, read 3,965,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Exactly, there are no accurate historical temperature records to even BEGIN comparing temperature over time. 50 years is not meaningful statistically. So comparing 2015 with 1965? Meaningless. We need thousands of years of measurement. What we have is some data, but it is not information.
But couldn't we use fossil records to help? How high were the temperatures during the dinosaur years?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But couldn't we use fossil records to help? How high were the temperatures during the dinosaur years?
I don't recognize the ability of fossil records to provide data to the precision that I need to revoke my lifestyle. Paleoclimatology is not exact or precise, it's just a rough idea. It's way too error prone, way too diffuse, and way too easily manipulated to arrive at predetermined conclusions by a class of scientists who all have the exact same politics and the exact same need for climate science welfare payments. Payments which are not made without sufficient armageddonism and the incitement of tribal panic.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM

18,456 posts, read 9,096,109 times
Quote:
And similar scientific techniques and methodologies (computer modelling) are used for prediction of both. And those methodologies and that prediction has not performed well and will not perform well for decades or centuries. Climate science is in its infancy. So no, I am not rolling back my use of fossil fuels based on these models and projections. Especially when ALL the practitioners using these predictive models have the exact same politics and leftist agenda. So cooking the books is quite possible, especially since they must "publish or perish", and create armageddonistic fear to keep the grant money flowing. They hated the oil companies before AGW was even a hint of a thing. The advent of AGW is just another tool in the redistributive toolbox of tyranny.

And the third world hellholes all sign on at the United Nations, because the Paris Accords will transfer wealth to their coffers. It's a gravy train, or more accurately, a pig trough. I don't want my country contributing to that.
Global warming is a hoax invented by China to make American manufacturing uncompetitive. It’s also a hoax invented by the United Nations to transfer Marc Paolella’s money to black and brown people.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM

34,695 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
They hated the oil companies before AGW was even a hint of a thing. The advent of AGW is just another tool in the redistributive toolbox of tyranny.

Add to it the fact that the U.S. is about the only country on the "contributing side" and there are a helluva a lot of taking countries. I am talking about the "Climate Adjustment Fund."

Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,670,727 times
If you think this year is hot watch out for next year.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Global warming is a hoax invented by China to make American manufacturing uncompetitive. It’s also a hoax invented by the United Nations to transfer Marc Paolella’s money to black and brown people.
It's not a hoax, just a strategy. You put a bunch of broke third world countries in a big room on the Upper East Side with high ceilings and they are going to figure something out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies