Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:31 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times

Advertisements

Talk of a trade war with Canada and other current events have woken me up to just how much of our economy and businesses are owned by foreign interests.

There's been a lot of focus on Burger King lately first because their location in St. Francisville, Louisiana, not to far from me, refused service to police officers. (this location has mostly if not entirely black employees I've been there myself years ago and it was like that then). Looking more into Burger King, it's owned by Tim Horton's and its Canadian holding company headquartered in Ontario. So Burger King is NOT an American business. When you go to Burger King, you're helping enrich Canada.

Now the same company that owns Burger King also owns Popeyes, a classic staple here in Louisiana and a source of local pride for us. But even Popeyes is a Canadian owned operation now. Here in the Baton Rouge area, Circle K Stores owns more than half the gas stations, and Circle K is also a Canadian company. It claims to be headquartered in Arizona but its owned by a larger Canadian company. All of these profits from Burger King, Circle K and Popeyes are going to Canada and not helping the economy of Louisiana or the United States when we patronize these businesses.

What's more American than drinking a Bud? Well Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian compnany, AB InBev. Perhaps this explains some of their pro-globalist, pro-illegal immigration Super Bowl commercials.

Why does our government allow foreign nations and foreign interests to purchase major companies in the United States? When I spend money as a consumer, I want my money to stay in my community, state, and nation. NAFTA was a treasonous deal that allowed this to happen and allowed Canada and Mexico to take advantage of the United States and engage in unfair trade practices. Justin Trudeau needs to be put in his place and understand that in a real trade war America will come out on top. ANd we definitely need a 350% tarriff on Canadian drugs entering the US.

Likewise, most illegal aliens send their earning home to Latin America in the form of remittances. If you support a business that hires illegals, you are contributing to this money leaving America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
None of those companies you mentioned produce or sell anything remotely close to being essential for national security. Thus, no need to stop them from being purchased by foreign companies.

It's not as if there aren't any American companies that don't dominate the rest of the world in their industries. McDonald's, Microsoft, Apple, the list goes on and on.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Talk of a trade war with Canada and other current events have woken me up to just how much of our economy and businesses are owned by foreign interests.

There's been a lot of focus on Burger King lately first because their location in St. Francisville, Louisiana, not to far from me, refused service to police officers. (this location has mostly if not entirely black employees I've been there myself years ago and it was like that then). Looking more into Burger King, it's owned by Tim Horton's and its Canadian holding company headquartered in Ontario. So Burger King is NOT an American business. When you go to Burger King, you're helping enrich Canada.

Now the same company that owns Burger King also owns Popeyes, a classic staple here in Louisiana and a source of local pride for us. But even Popeyes is a Canadian owned operation now. Here in the Baton Rouge area, Circle K Stores owns more than half the gas stations, and Circle K is also a Canadian company. It claims to be headquartered in Arizona but its owned by a larger Canadian company. All of these profits from Burger King, Circle K and Popeyes are going to Canada and not helping the economy of Louisiana or the United States when we patronize these businesses.

What's more American than drinking a Bud? Well Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian compnany, AB InBev. Perhaps this explains some of their pro-globalist, pro-illegal immigration Super Bowl commercials.

Why does our government allow foreign nations and foreign interests to purchase major companies in the United States? When I spend money as a consumer, I want my money to stay in my community, state, and nation. NAFTA was a treasonous deal that allowed this to happen and allowed Canada and Mexico to take advantage of the United States and engage in unfair trade practices. Justin Trudeau needs to be put in his place and understand that in a real trade war America will come out on top. ANd we definitely need a 350% tarriff on Canadian drugs entering the US.

Likewise, most illegal aliens send their earning home to Latin America in the form of remittances. If you support a business that hires illegals, you are contributing to this money leaving America.
Well if that bothers you, wait until you see how much commercial property, land, hotels, shopping malls, etc., are now owned by foreigners.
The Chinese have gotten wealthy off America with intellectual theft, counterfeit products, unfair trade balance, currency manipulation, slave labor, etc., etc.
Then their wealthy people/conglomerates come to America and buy everything up, like they are flush with cash in a Monopoly game.
Even more disturbing they are buying companies that manufacture vital parts for our military equipment, companies that build mega watt generators, nuclear power plant construction companies, etc.
In a natural disaster or war they will have an upper hand over us if we cannot get part XYZ for our power plants, utility infrastructure and so on.

The leftists/globalists have really helped to screw over our country to where entire industries we led the world in, and now completely gone. They are instead in other countries, many of which are hostile to American & western culture, capitalism, etc.

`

Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Even more disturbing they are buying companies that manufacture vital parts for our military equipment, companies that build mega watt generators, nuclear power plant construction companies, etc.
In a natural disaster or war they will have an upper hand over us if we cannot get part XYZ for our power plants, utility infrastructure and so on.

The leftists/globalists have really helped to screw over our country to where entire industries we led the world in, and now completely gone. They are instead in other countries, many of which are hostile to American & western culture, capitalism, etc.
Yes, this is why Trump wanted to restart steel and aluminum production in the USA. They were finding that the imported steel used in manufacturing our commercial aircraft, military equipment and more was NOT being made to specs, was sub-par and, therefore, dangerous. Plus, it was putting us at a strategic disadvantage if we can't make the dang stuff ourselves.

Also all the risks inherent as mentioned above.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:

Adolphus and August Busch, the father and son who nurtured what became Anheuser Busch through its early years came from a line of vintners, and favored German wines over their successful products for their own consumption.

Not really much of a suprise here, since the secret behind the success of many of the great brewing families was to produce a consistent product, and then to expand the area over which it was marketed. Anyone who's endured a bad batch of the local stuff should understand that.

Interesting as well, that the Bud brewery in Newark now produces Rolling Rock, a Pittsburgh-area product (Latrobe,PA) with a strong local following, I wonder how many of the locals and "expatriates" are aware of this.

'33

Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
This is capitalism, nothing more, nothing less. The government should control who can own companies? You know what that’s called, don’t you?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
I gotta draw the line at the classification of Burger King as "iconic."

Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
We live in a Global Economy. American companies own foreign companies. Should they have to sell them?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:16 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:

This could be expanded into a good South Park episode.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Capitalism. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies