Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 AM

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I seem to understand the basics more than Trump does.
When I look at one of your posts basic is the word that comes to mind.

Quote:
Trump has made his money in real estate and branding.

He has no concept of international trade.

It is obvious by the way he talks about it.
That is a sophisticated model you have right there.

I have no idea if Trump will accomplish his purported goal which is a trade war to achieve free trade. Its a punitive tariff. Disagree or not, but bombing has no direct economic benefit either. Its idiotic to discuss the economics of punitive tariffs....beyond idiotic... its the stuff of drooling simpletons.

As for TTP I think the agreement being able to supersede national laws and defer to an international trade union and tribunal is a bit of problem. They can decide local environmental laws are bad for business and then the state can be sued for damages. Now that sounds like good environmental polices the lefties keep talking about now doesn't it?

Yeah so its not just all about just trading our baubles now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We've been taken advantage of by foreign countries in unfair trade practices since the 1950's or perhaps longer. We lost the trade wars long ago, and our manufacturing base has shown the results. Previous Presidents of BOTH parties were negligent in allowing this to occur, and continue. I just don't think they understood business, and the economy well enough, nor did they want to suffer that brain damage of making wholesale changes like Trump is doing.

It is difficult to negotiate, and the previous Presidents just kicked the can down the road. Partially due to pure laziness, and not wanting the short term heart burn that goes along with negotiating, even if there are long term benefits to be gained.

Trump is right though. We do have most of the cards.
Maybe ask yourself why after 70 years of "losing trade wars" we still have "most of the cards". The US stock market is 52% of the worlds total stock market. Sound like we are losing?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why is Donald Trump the only President who mentioned anything about unfair tariffs and trade by foreign countries?

Because he's the only President that was a business person, not a politician . The others were more interested in being political than practical.
No, its more like he is the first president to directly lie to your face....... and you believe him.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Why are all of TRUMP CLOTHING BUSINESSES made in CHINA? Why did his daughter, who has ZERO business in the Oval Office for ANY REASON, getting a whole passel of NEW TRADE CONTRACTS WITH CHINA?
Oh the ole stand on principle BS. An MMA fighter who did not like throwing elbows won a fight throwing elbows.

Another one of those complex subjects that befuddles the typical struggling leftist in their attempts to understand basic reality. Anyone who makes local textiles cannot have a profitable business. People who don't like the rules still have to play by them.

The best wat to get rid of a rule you don't like is to ruthlessly exploit it and get into a position of power to end it.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only answer is he is the guy he says he is and has been for the last 30 years. He loves this country and is truly an outsider to the world of politics. This is a great time we are living in.
Oh gawd... I think I just threw up a little. When in his 70 plus years has Trump ever demonstrated his "love of country". Only thing I've ever seen is his love of himself.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
It is revisionist history to think he is the only president to mention these. All his predecessors have raised these concerns as well. None off them were however foolhardy enough to start trade wars.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
No, its more like he is the first president to directly lie to your face....... and you believe him.

In my 75 years I have never known of a politician that DIDN'T lie to me. And it's not that Trump lies, it's just that it's not what you want to hear. Remember " You can keep your doctor" ?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Trump has pointed out that almost EVERY country that trades with the United States imposes massive tariffs or trade barriers on our products. Not just a few countries like China

I wonder if our Presidents of the last 30 years knew that this was happening with practically every country, but just ignored it for the most part. Or they felt like they couldn’t do much about it. I never heard any previous President explain this to the American people in a comprehensive way.
Trump flat out lied if he said that.

This link has a map of the world. Tap on any country on the map with which the U.S. has significant trade for a pop up of the country’s average tariff rate:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...st-tariffs.asp

Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Oh gawd... I think I just threw up a little. When in his 70 plus years has Trump ever demonstrated his "love of country". Only thing I've ever seen is his love of himself.

Typical, low information, leftist response that emotes itself like a rash . Unlike bankers who move hot money from one place to the other on the globe, a typical real estate mogul will have the location of their real estate empire in mind. The big chief used to take perishable good and throw a party. Once cash crops arrived, then the beginnings of mobile capital arrived and the party ended.

Of course the big problem with real estate today is the low equity ownership which turns real estate into mobile securities that draw interest. Thus the wealth can be siphoned half way around the world. Trump is one of the few who figured out how to manipulate finance instead of the other way around and thus has held his equity. He was able to turn the tables much like Caesar did with Crassus.

Anyway Trumps heart is where his real estate is , in the United States. Between Wall Street and him he is more like the local tribal chief throwing a party.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Can't say I am surprised

Ford slides deeper into China rut after worst sales ever

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ver/ar-AAzEVc3

Ford Motor’s China slump intensified, with vehicle sales tumbling 38 percent in June and the automaker recording its worst-ever first-half as buyers shunned its aging models that are awaiting overhauls and flocked to rivals

The U.S. automaker announced on Friday it sold 62,057 vehicles in China in June, taking its sales for the first half of the year to 400,443, down 25 percent compared to the year-ago period. According to consultancy LMC Automotive, it was Ford's biggest first-half percentage decline since starting operations in China in 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies