Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
As a few - very few - children are returned to their parents, these is indisputable evidence of neglect and mistreatment and overt cruelty also coming out.

A six year old with severe osteoporosis was sent to a foster home, where he was beaten, denied his medication, and beaten again when he cried for his mother. He was unable to walk by the time he was freed from that petty hell - and he'd been beaten because he was unable to walk. An older boy, son of the foster "parents", had participated in beating this small child, who did not speak English and who was very unlikely to have understood what he was being told to do.

A fourteen month old baby was returned to his mother Olivia. When she changed his clothing, she was horrified: he was crawling with body lice and appeared to not have been bathed during the 85 days he was kept in detention. He had been kept in a "shelter", rather than in a foster home.

Lawsuits are underway in both horrible cases. How many other children are suffering similar utterly cruel abuses? Where are they? Our government has no idea.

The reported cost of keeping a child in detention seems to be around $700 a day, although I have also seen it reported as $1,000 a day. Blood money.

No links provided. Some people will claim anything if they think they can make a buck out of it along with their shady lawyers. In the case of illegal aliens it happens often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,077 times
This is no surprise. trump and his pack of morons couldn’t find their way out of a wet paper bag. Anyone who was paying the least bit of attention in the run up to the election could see that trump was either a brainless wind bag or a grifter. You choose.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadineinthesun View Post
I don't care that it was happening also in 2014. The uptick of 160% during the new policy did bring this to light and I will not apologize for standing up for the most vulnerable and the children who have suffered unspeakable trauma. If all you want to do is say "Well what about this?" and point to other areas that need attention, save it. I have done work with the homeless, I have opened my home on several occasions to those in need. And my heart says this is a crisis that needs my attention now. It's important to note that many, not all, of those pointing to social needs in the US have not done anything for those causes themselves, they only use them to discount anyone concerned about what is happening to immigrants seeking asylum (the brown ones), and to excuse the acts against them and their children today.
This is a time in history where we must be aware not only of what is happening but where our heart lands in this. To those who are able to justify what is happening, there is nothing I can say to you or you can say to me to change either of our minds. The divide between our ways of being a human is too great to traverse.
For those who want to do something, click the links below and let your Congressman and Senator know you want them to be on the right side of history on this issue. Humane treatment of children and families at our Southern border, reunification of all children with their parents wherever possible, sane and practical immigration policy that will do a better job at protecting our borders (not policy steeped in racially motivated white nationalist agendas) and a pathway to citizenship. It doesn't have to be a long eloquent letter, just speak your heart even if it's just a few words.
To locate your Representatives:
https://www.house.gov/representatiâ€...representative
For California 31st District Congressman (where I am):
https://ruiz.house.gov/contact/email
For Kamala Harris (California Senator): https://www.harris.senate.gov/contact/email
You're just a hack. I bet you can't find me a single post waxing abut homeless adults and children who are routinely sleeping under the bridges up and down the west coast. What link do you have to click on for them? This crisis simply fits your agenda. Pure and simple.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Never understood why they were allowed in in the first place. If you arrive at JFK without a valid visa in your passport, you are turned back. Pure and simple. What can't they do it at the border?

Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Tonight on the news that said the parents of 19 of the kids under five have already been deported back to their home country. How can anyone say that isn't kidnapping?

Old 07-06-2018, 05:52 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You're just a hack. I bet you can't find me a single post waxing abut homeless adults and children who are routinely sleeping under the bridges up and down the west coast. What link do you have to click on for them? This crisis simply fits your agenda. Pure and simple.
Did the US government separate said children form their parents and force them to sleep under bridges? No?

Then kindly shove your false equivalence.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No links provided. Some people will claim anything if they think they can make a buck out of it along with their shady lawyers. In the case of illegal aliens it happens often.
The story re the 14 month old was broken by Judy Woodruff on the PBS "Newshour" yesterday - see her Twitter account for links. The story about the six year old with osteoporosis was also reported on Twitter, I think on either Michael Avenatti's site or possibly Ben Wikler's site. Both have been strong advocates for children caught up in a situation not of their own making.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Bet they don’t cross illegally again.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Bet they don’t cross illegally again.
Yea, that’ll teach those punk kids a lesson!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What-aboutery at its finest. Why do you assume that caring about children in detention means that therefore one cannot care about any other children?

Remember, the first line of that famous old children's hymn is "Jesus loves the little children - all the children of the world". Not just American children, not just white children, not even just "legal" children - ALL the children. ALL the children of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies