Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Bolded. I have observed this pattern over the years. Why do you think this is? Poor people really do tend to be defiant to authority. Not just the police. Their boss. Anyone that has a little bit of authority. I never heard any reason why this is.
With blacks, if their manager happens to be white, then their mind goes back to slave times when they had to obey "the man". I actually heard a black co-worker arguing with a female manager, she was insisting that he needed to do what she asked him to do, and his reply was "what are we... back in slave times again?" And it does affect their work output too, they don't want to be rushed into going any faster.

And I think that there need to be more black male teachers in grade school. It would help the black male students greatly if they had more black male role models. Plus they would be more willing to listen to a black male teacher than even a black female teacher.

In real life, I've been saying that the best thing the BLM supporters could do for the black community is encourage black men to become teachers and police officers. Instead of blaming how white police officers treat black people, they should police themselves. And instead of complaining about the school system is failing their children, they need to teach their own.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
I agree.

Where I work, I'm a manager. Got some 50+ guys working for me. I've found that the most effective way to resolve a problem is not to dwell on the past but figure out how to go forward from here.

I have proposed what should be done to help uplift blacks out of poverty. Do you have your own ideas on how we should move forward?
I believe there is a REASON why we have memories and histories and those reasons are to promote survival and advancement. I believe that there is a reason why we must seek the enjoy the moment and that too is to support our survival. I believe that there is a reason that we can dream of the future, make plans and goals, and that too is to promote our survival.

The past, the present and the future must all work together to optimize our survival advancement. We don't need to Move past the past, we need to embrace the lessons and explanation so we can understand and find solutions for the present. We must also have dreams and strive to do better and be better, by making sacrifices to make our lives and the world a better place not just for us, but for everyone.

That having been said, all I know is that blacks need to learn to know who they are, respect who they are, love who they are, believe in who we are and our abilities.....in order to heal and move to the future. Black people have to provide that to black people....it can't come from any other group, lest you give them the power to take it away....as has been the case the past 300 years.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-10-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Bolded. I have observed this pattern over the years. Why do you think this is? Poor people really do tend to be defiant to authority. Not just the police. Their boss. Anyone that has a little bit of authority. I never heard any reason why this is.
I think people who are impoverished have to be scrappy in order to survive. In addition, they often feel like they're victims. The parents don't do them any favors by making proclamations that they won't be *disrespected*, or telling them the police are out to get them and they don't have to put up with being hassled. The kids get in trouble in school and the parent goes in and defends them.

You see this in Chicago all the time. Young people talk about being disrespected and they're going to bust a cap over it.

Do a search on twitter for the word and I'm betting you'll get the picture.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I believe there is a REASON why we have memories and histories and those reasons are to promote survival and advancement. I believe that there is a reason why we must seek the enjoy the moment and that too is to support our survival. I believe that there is a reason that we can dream of the future, make plans and goals, and that too is to promote our survival.

The past, the present and the future must all work together to optimize our survival advancement. We don't need to Move past the past, we need to embrace the lessons and explanation so we can understand and find solutions for the present. We must also have dreams and strive to do better and be better, by making sacrifices to make our lives and the world a better place not just for us, but for everyone.

That having been said, all I know is that blacks need to learn to know who they are, respect who they are, love who they are.....in order to heal and move to the future. Black people have to provide that to black people....it can't come from any other group, lest you give them the power to take it away....as has been the case the past 300 years.
It might help the black community to study all of mankind's history, rather than dwell on the last 300 years, when humans have been around for 200,000 years, and we know of civilizations dating back 6,000 years... and 300 years is just a drop in the bucket of time. Other cultures have been enslaved and dominated by others. It's not just the blacks who have been treated poorly by another race or natioonality.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

In real life, I've been saying that the best thing the BLM supporters could do for the black community is encourage black men to become teachers and police officers. Instead of blaming how white police officers treat black people, they should police themselves. And instead of complaining about the school system is failing their children, they need to teach their own.
This is the biggest crock that people really think would improve the situation but never will. That only comes from people that dont care about the situation to come up with a 2 second solution.

You cant fix the police problem by becoming officers, the officers cant change anything, they can only do what they are told according to the law. The problem with the police is structural, the upper management and the municipalities making the police do what they do. When people go to town hall meetings, they make their town council change the policing policies, or dismiss officers. Rich people in rich neighborhoods dont allow cops to take advantage of them, because they will go straight to who counts in the town council and make a stink. Thats all anyone has to do.
The same goes for schools. If parents got involved with the upper management in the schools, they get the better education. of course, black people in poor neighborhoods still have to fix things from the inside to make the neighborhoods better alongside that.

But if white people call the police on people that they dont like, its to discourage them from coming to the neighborhood, racism as well.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It might help the black community to study all of mankind's history, rather than dwell on the last 300 years, when humans have been around for 200,000 years, and we know of civilizations dating back 6,000 years... and 300 years is just a drop in the bucket of time. Other cultures have been enslaved and dominated by others. It's not just the blacks who have been treated poorly by another race or natioonality.

True...and it might help the rest of America to focus on the last 300 years and what was done, instead of skipping over it to go back thousands of years or to look to the future like nothing ever happened in the past.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
True...and it might help the rest of America to focus on the last 300 years and what was done, instead of skipping over it to go back thousands of years or to look to the future like nothing ever happened in the past.
Many people aren't going to do that. Many persons do not care. I have had to deal with a few racist incidents over the last few weeks where I live. I have not talked about them with anyone. I feel like many individuals will not listen or care.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many people aren't going to do that. Many persons do not care. I have had to deal with a few racist incidents over the last few weeks where I live. I have not talked about them with anyone. I feel like many individuals will not listen or care.
But even without any slavery, since humans are such visual creatures and that for thousands of years not having access to transportation that was faster than a horse or a ship, many races were kept apart. So seeing such a contrast in skin tones, IMO there would still be a divide between the races. Humans do tend to keep to their own and trust only those of the same skin colour and religion.

So even without Africans being enslaved for 300 years, you would still be dealing with racist attitudes.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:24 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:

That having been said, all I know is that blacks need to learn to know who they are, respect who they are, love who they are, believe in who we are and our abilities.....in order to heal and move to the future. Black people have to provide that to black people....it can't come from any other group, lest you give them the power to take it away....as has been the case the past 300 years.
You misunderstand me. I said we should not dwell on the past. I did not say we forget about it or not learn from it.

The problem with dwelling on the past as the black community seem to be doing to this day is it is completely nonproductive. What's done is done. No one can change the past. But we can learn from it and make the necessary corrections moving forward.

Also, forgive me for not being able to compose my words as rosey as you can. I'm a simple man and I speak/write in plain language.

We need to deal with problems direction, not dream about the possible solutions. "Living for the moment" may get you an A for your creative writing class, but it does little to impress anyone in the real professional world.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Many years ago, I had a black boyfriend. At the time I lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. He came to my place all the time and I went to his all the time. One time he came over and I asked him to plant a tree with me out front. We were half way digging our hole when a cop came by. Said someone reported a suspicious person. He showed his ID and I explained to the cop that I lived there and we were just planting a tree. The cop went on his way.

When I started working in engineering, one time a there was an operation that needed precise surveying for elevations. Our surveyor was black. He was out there with his surveying equipment when a cop came by because someone reported a suspicious person.

Years later I had moved to a different company. While in the office I talked with my boss. He shared with me that many years ago he was a surveyor and while he was with a full crew playing out stations and forming up forms for a concrete pour a cop came by and asked him for his ID because someone reported a suspicious person. He was the only black guy there at the time.

I currently work with an older guy who's about to retire. The other day he told me he used to be a home inspector and one time while inspecting a property a couple cops came by asking for his ID because someone reported him.

I know there have been some high profile cases of black people doing every day things getting called on. These cases are high profile because there was a camera and social media. Just remember that for the longest time there was no cell phone cameras and social media. And not everyone makes a scene. Most people just show their ID to get it over with.

I know a lot of white people have trouble believing that cops get called on black people for doing ordinary things. Black people are too aware of this.
I wonder if those same whites would have called the police on someone like Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy if they had been in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies