Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
First off, whites have been racist against blacks for over 200 years when blacks were not even allowed the freedom to be criminal. Our biggest criminal offense, for centuries, was being fugitives from slavery. Even back then any free black man could be suspected of being a run away (a criminal) and had to show proof that they were free men and women. Even if free legally, some were taken and put back into bondage. Therefore, please don't start acting like white racism was born from black street crimes. This society CRIMINALIZED our pursuit for freedom and justice. Did it not? YOU made criminals out of us by making our aspiration to be treated as humans a criminal offense. That is how it all got started and evolved in America. Lets not just turn to page 300, skipping the first chapters, and start from there determining that whites have some sort of justification for looking down on blacks as criminals.

Secondly, most blacks are in prison today for drug offenses as a result of the war on drugs and as a result of police concentrating law enforcement in the black community. Keep in mind that there is data from studies that say that drug use is as prevalent, if not more so, in the white community than in the black community, yet, whites are not being arrested for it at the rate that blacks are because the police are not really looking "out there".

Finally, crime is a rationalization/cover for white racism. There is a good percentage of whites who simply believe that genetics allow blacks to do some things better than whites and some things inferior to whites. Many believe that running and jumping is things blacks have been gifted with, but the trade off is that blacks are not good thinkers and are prone to violence. Whites have been treating black people based upon these assumptions for over 300 years and as a result a certain degree of self fulfilling prophecy manifest from that, which many whites then use those statistics to argue that is why they don't like or trust blacks.
Are any blacks alive today former slaves?
Are children tried and convicted for the crimes of their parents?
What is your point, that injustices that happened to others 200 years ago undet different laws and society, justifies blacks who were never slaves, breaking laws today?
So you think the lsw should not apply to blacks merely because of the color of their skin?

Your second point again seems to argue that blacks are in jail because they werent allowed to break laws like whites do.
Is that right?
How does this refute that it might be valid for whites to expect criminal behavior from blacks?

Finally you seem to concede that last point as somewhat true. If, not saying it is, but if it is true, does denying it help or hurt black americans?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:50 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
There is a right balance somewhere in between racial profiling and ignoring crimes. Baltimore cops will have to find the right balance somewhere eventually.
How many hundreds of homicides and rapes, how many thousands of assaults, burglaries and thefts does it take to strike the right balance, not just in Baltimore but in cities across America?

Maybe patience begins to run a little low at some point?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You don't have to buy anything.

Let me ask you this. Do you jaywalk? My husband and I just spent a couple days and nights in the city of chicago. Everybody jaywalk. And yet, if you look this up, young black men are pestered by city cops all the time for jaywalking. Any idiot with a brain knows the jaywalking reason is just an excuse for something else.

This is the definition of white privilege and I would argue Asian privilege. We don't get pestered for bending the rules a little. Black people do.
I know several white people who have been cited for jaywalking so I cant buy that argument.
I really think this "if I break a law and am punished for it, I should blame whitey for being racist" thing is not helpful to blacks.
Do many of you really believe that? If so and you instill this in your children do not be surprised to see them in prison.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:04 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
you are still left arguing "other people get away with it why cant I?" and nobody buys that.
And tell me where is my white priviledge when I am not breaking the rules?
You don't get it. There is a reason for arguing "other people get away with it why can't I"? The reason is this: The rules are suppose to be the same for EVERYBODY. When the rule are only enforced for one group of people and not for another, that isn't fair, is it?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
This is an overreaction by the cops, which is human nature. Right after a flood, people tend to buy more flood insurance than usual. Right after a car crash, people tend to drive a lot more carefully at first.

There is a right balance somewhere in between racial profiling and ignoring crimes. Baltimore cops will have to find the right balance somewhere eventually.

Just because we want cops to stop profiling black people doesn't mean we want them to ignore crimes.

You seem to be incapable of understand the simple concept of proper law enforcement versus profiling versus ignoring crimes.
Is it really profiling if some blacks are committing the crimes at greatly increased rates? If police are trying to stop robberies and the statistics show blacks are 12 times more likely to commit robberies as whites, I am not sure its fair to condemn them for profiling if they give blacks more scrutiny.
Of course if you are not a robber but youre black this seems unfair. But the issue should be taken up with your peers as much as with police.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You don't get it. There is a reason for arguing "other people get away with it why can't I"? The reason is this: The rules are suppose to be the same for EVERYBODY. When the rule are only enforced for one group of people and not for another, that isn't fair, is it?
Its not been established that they are unfairly enforced. In fact research suggests that is not the case.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Is it really profiling if some blacks are committing the crimes at greatly increased rates? If police are trying to stop robberies and the statistics show blacks are 12 times more likely to commit robberies as whites, I am not sure its fair to condemn them for profiling if they give blacks more scrutiny.
Of course if you are not a robber but youre black this seems unfair. But the issue should be taken up with your peers as much as with police.
Well, the way I see it, if I'm not committing any crimes, I should be left alone. If I am already obeying the law, what is the point of pulling me over? What is the point of treating me with more scrutiny? How does it help ME (yes, that is the main objective, ME) to have the police called on me just out of some "suspicion"? How does it help me to be treated with more scrutiny? Where am I benefiting from it?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Its not been established that they are unfairly enforced. In fact research suggests that is not the case.
I'm not talking about the research. I DO NOT CARE!! I'm talking about situations where such things have taken place. Yes, I know all about the statistics. At the end of the day, what matters to me is making sure I'm not treated like some unwanted person. That is what I care about, period. What I care about the most is how I am being affected about it.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
This is an overreaction by the cops, which is human nature. Right after a flood, people tend to buy more flood insurance than usual. Right after a car crash, people tend to drive a lot more carefully at first.

Just because we want cops to stop profiling black people doesn't mean we want them to ignore crimes.

You seem to be incapable of understand the simple concept of proper law enforcement versus profiling versus ignoring crimes.
This is the sad thing. Many people believe there is no in between. It is either "profile Black people" or "ignore crimes". And then there are people who truly believe that Black Americans should be subjected to a police state that only targets them.

We're on the same page. I don't want crime ignored. I also don't want to racial profiling to take place either. I agree that we need a balance. Sadly, many people aren't interested in that or don't care. Some people feel that there is no such thing as a balance. And then there are those who feel deep down that Black people should be subjected to a police state, but won't come out and say it. The way race relations work, many people won't say how they feel.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
I called the police on a black teen after I was robbed at gun point once, I wonder if todays liberal snowflakes would consider that being "over nothing"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies