Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, but the big difference is, access to tobacco products was never altered or changed, anyone 18 and over can still walk into any convenience store and buy as much as they like. ACCESS to opioid drugs was one of the first things they changed??

Plus, you have to consider, even though the tobacco companies had to pay billions in fines, they are doing EXTREMELY WELL right now, their profits rise every year.

The pharma industry would be just fine if they had to pay billions in fines, opioids were in such high demand, addicts were willing to pay 10X or more the retail price, if its really all about money and profit, the govt and the pharma companies dropped the ball, they could have made a fortune if they slapped a sin tax on opioid drugs and still allow the same level of access to them.
You could always buy tobacco products over the counter, that was never the case for opioids, you were always at the mercy of your doctor to get prescription for opioids, and drug companies who manufacture opioids will continue to do just fine. I had a lot of dental work done in the past year, my dentist hands out scripts for vicodin without a patient even asking. I got 3 prescriptions threw to away and kept one for our go bag, so if medical professionals aren't being allowed to prescribe opioids my dentist sure never got the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There will be no 'phasing out' of any opioid drugs! for one, insurance companies LOVE these drugs, they are the cheapest form of treatment in most cases, and more importantly, they keep the patient coming back month after month, year after year...have to remember, its all about money!
Really? Darvon/Darvocet is an Opioid.

Quote:
Nov. 19, 2010 -- The FDA has at last banned Darvon, Darvocet, and other brand/generic drugs containing propoxyphene -- a safety-plagued painkiller from the 1950s.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...vocet-banned#1

Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yeah, where is it on the DEA website? Any changes like you are describing have to be published on the DEA website, I sure can't locate it- can you?
No, they don't until action is taken. Sorry, you don't know everything as you seem to think you do...

Old 11-30-2018, 09:07 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Opioid crisis? What opioid crisis? Google will not auto-complete searches for "deaths from opioids". All the top prompts for "deaths from op" go to opioid-related topics on other search engines. If you type in "deaths from op" in Google you get only "deaths from open heart surgery".

Google is micro-gaslighting again, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

Old 11-30-2018, 09:11 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Opioid crisis? What opioid crisis? Google will not auto-complete searches for "deaths from opioids". All the top prompts for "deaths from op" go to opioid-related topics on other search engines. If you type in "deaths from op" in Google you get only "deaths from open heart surgery".

Google is micro-gaslighting again, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
It auto populated for me. More nonsense believing Google has an agenda against the crisis.

You can always use a different search engine.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I live in a small town with a population of about 7,500 in a rural coastal area. Hardly a day goes by that there is not a opioid OD. Almost every week some one dies of opioid OD, sometimes, 2 or 3.

I doubt the issue is 'overstated' at all.

As a nurse/paramedic I see it first hand on a regular basis.
Then you probably know if you read detailed toxicology reports that it is very often (I think 50% or more) the result of mixing of booze, benzos, fentanyl and other meds that sends patients "over the top". That is, deaths from opiate prescriptions alone or even the popular "black tar" (less refined) heroin are not the norm.

Am I right or wrong on this???

Chances are that a lot of people reading this right now do opiates of some sort. If nothing else I want to warm them that MANY other meds and especially booze can be fatal when used with opiates...and it's not too hard to go over the line. It's as simple as the user going to sleep and failing to breathe.

People are really crazy. They intentionally mix these things with the idea that they will get much higher....and they will - and then die.

As with anything and everything...moderation is the key. People should take as little of a drug as possible to get the effects they need for pain relief or whatever other condition they have. If they want "recreational" stuff, they should stick to beer and wine and some herb. IMHO, anyway.

Disregard this message if you actually want to die. Many do.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You could always buy tobacco products over the counter, that was never the case for opioids, you were always at the mercy of your doctor to get prescription for opioids, and drug companies who manufacture opioids will continue to do just fine. I had a lot of dental work done in the past year, my dentist hands out scripts for vicodin without a patient even asking. I got 3 prescriptions threw to away and kept one for our go bag, so if medical professionals aren't being allowed to prescribe opioids my dentist sure never got the message.
Heroin and morphine were available - same with opium, all without a script back when. But I'm talking 100+ years back. All kinds of miracle cures.

As a kid my parents bought paregoric (opium tincture) for toothaches....OTC, I think. Various opiates are still available OTC but disguised by naming conventions. Examples - DXM and the stuff you take for the chits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan

What I have seen is tighter controls - for example, it used to be you could get a 90 day supply and refills (real pain patients, elderly, etc.)...now you get 30 days and you have to have a new script. Things like that.

I'm 65 (in heavy construction for much of my life) and have very low dose tylenol codeine and they act as if I'm an addict or something...funny stuff. My Doc is great, but you can tell the State and Business is making them jump through hoops. Tylenol-codeine is about equal to a beer (or less!) in terms of effect.

Sometimes it's strange being an adult and being treated like a child.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:21 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Almost all of the fentanyl is now made in China and shipped to Mexico and snuck across our border.
Same with all the heroin from Afghanistan — doesn’t it come to us through the Mexican border?

Clearly the governments of China and Mexico know they are doing this to us.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:26 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Almost all of the fentanyl is now made in China and shipped to Mexico and snuck across our border.
Same with all the heroin from Afghanistan — doesn’t it come to us through the Mexican border?

Clearly the governments of China and Mexico know they are doing this to us.
You can also buy Fentanyl from China and have it shipped directly to you in the US.

How much of this dope is CONSISTENTLY coming in and reaching its destination, is something you will very rarely hear anyone talk about.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

Clearly the governments of China and Mexico know they are doing this to America.
Fentanyl is also distributed from China through Canada and a whole bunch if it is delivered to the US with the assistance of USPS. https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...inzMox1jU0yhP/

Most heroin in the US is Mexican, it is grown and refined there. Only about 4% of US heroin is from afghanistan.

A wall or fence won't stop the flow of drugs into the US because they come in through ports of entry, usually concealed in trucks or on ships. it's rare to find someone entering between border crossings with drugs the risk of getting caught is too great.

Quote:
According to a 2015 report by the US Drug Enforcement Administration, 95% of drugs coming into the US were entering via container ships and other vessels. In addition to drones and submarines, drug dealers and human traffickers rely on the trucking industry to move drugs and people via the 52 legal crossing points along the US border. https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/08/opini...ver/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies