Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No.

Think about the possible (and often likely) consequences.

Imagine... a bully starts a fight , but, the victim is unbeknownst to the bully a tough and skilled fighter. The bully quickly figures out that he has messed with the wrong person and attempts to flee and announces that he has had enough and quits...

Are you saying that we should now allow the original victim to go vigilante on the bully? To what extent?

No. It has been settled law for many years that if an initial aggressor gives up the fight and makes it known that he "quits", the original victim is not permitted to take on the role of aggressor.
There is an update to the original article at the bottom of the page that addresses that. The author actually apologizes for being less than vigilant in seeking the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Yep, he wasn't defending himself, he pursued after them and then stabbed one of them.

UPDATE: Eugene Volokh over at the Volokh Conspiracy was curious about the vagueness of the news coverage describing the incident and checked in further. He tells me it turns out that the fight didn't just "spill out" of the shop as the news coverage indicates. The assailants were actually fleeing the scene. Since Sumpter was chasing after them, it is very likely that even without the "duty to retreat" component of Connecticut's law, the stabbing probably would not have been considered self-defense. I take responsibility for not being more curious about the gaps in the news coverage describing the incident.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:59 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
As much as I may cheer for thugs to get a good thumping by their would be victims, in this case they were in retreat. Meaning attempting to leave.
I understand the heat of battle, adrenalin etc. can cloud your judgment. That said he lost his self defense argument when he stopped defending and started pursuing. I think the sentence was too harsh and I hope that the thugs get a lot more.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ridiculous laws means this guy is being heavily penalized for defending himself.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/05/h...-teens-at-work

Tyranny has many forms. Who ever charged & sentenced me, would wear the scars of a tyrant once I was released from bondage. They better kill me, in the war they started.

Tyranny attacked him, and then tyranny punishes him for getting instant justice with his attackers??? **** THAT!

Last edited by BentBow; 07-07-2018 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 02:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tyranny has many forms. Who ever charged & sentenced me, would wear the scars of a tyrant once I was released from bondage. They better kill me, in the war they started.

Tyranny attacked him, and then tyranny punishes him for getting instant justice with his attackers??? **** THAT!
You are CLEARLY mistaken. The thugs left and the guy chased them. He got charged for doing just that and not for anything less. No tyranny here, just misunderstanding and rhetoric.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ridiculous laws means this guy is being heavily penalized for defending himself.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/05/h...-teens-at-work
“Teens” Euphemism for thug.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:54 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
It was in Connecticut. What more to say.
I live here. And yup. This governor and state has been so generous for law breakers. Letting them seek special privileges, and early release.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Default Self-defense it was not

There's an update to the blog; the three would be robbers turned tail and ran, and Sumpter pursued them out the store, then stabbed the one. I think that blows self-defense anywhere in the country.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:49 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
There's an update to the blog; the three would be robbers turned tail and ran, and Sumpter pursued them out the store, then stabbed the one. I think that blows self-defense anywhere in the country.
I'm working so I don't have time to read the article just yet. Does it say anything about the 3 would be robbers being charged with attempted robbery or anything like that? Because while I understand and agree that this man wasn't actually defending himself when he injured one of his attackers, they should still be charged with a crime themselves for the attempted robbery.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
This is revolting and numbing it is now the criminals lauded as heros
Has the world gone mad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies