Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times

Advertisements

So why would this happen. I remember weeks ago when the Trump administration said they knew where all the kids were and everything was under control. Now they are saying the records are all destroyed or missing? How exactly did that happen? Now they are going to spend millions using DNA tests to match them up (when there's not enough money to process DNA tests for rape kits). Talk about a complete trainwreck.

Report: Records Linking Detained Immigrant Kids, Parents ‘Destroyed’
https://www.thedailybeast.com/report...royed?ref=home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 436 times
I don't care that it was happening also in 2014. The uptick of 160% during the new policy did bring this to light and I will not apologize for standing up for the most vulnerable and the children who have suffered unspeakable trauma. If all you want to do is say "Well what about this?" and point to other areas that need attention, save it. I have done work with the homeless, I have opened my home on several occasions to those in need. And my heart says this is a crisis that needs my attention now. It's important to note that many, not all, of those pointing to social needs in the US have not done anything for those causes themselves, they only use them to discount anyone concerned about what is happening to immigrants seeking asylum (the brown ones), and to excuse the acts against them and their children today.
This is a time in history where we must be aware not only of what is happening but where our heart lands in this. To those who are able to justify what is happening, there is nothing I can say to you or you can say to me to change either of our minds. The divide between our ways of being a human is too great to traverse.
For those who want to do something, click the links below and let your Congressman and Senator know you want them to be on the right side of history on this issue. Humane treatment of children and families at our Southern border, reunification of all children with their parents wherever possible, sane and practical immigration policy that will do a better job at protecting our borders (not policy steeped in racially motivated white nationalist agendas) and a pathway to citizenship. It doesn't have to be a long eloquent letter, just speak your heart even if it's just a few words.
To locate your Representatives:
https://www.house.gov/representati&#...representative
For California 31st District Congressman (where I am):
https://ruiz.house.gov/contact/email
For Kamala Harris (California Senator): https://www.harris.senate.gov/contact/email

Old 07-06-2018, 02:36 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Am I the only one concerned that the government is collecting DNA from people under the guise of "matching" kids and parents?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:44 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,224,771 times
Zero tolerance.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
I'll say it: There was never a plan. The records weren't destroyed or lost, they were shoddy or non-existent.

Nobody had the first clue what they were doing and now - when they're cornered like rats - the best they have is this "The dog ate my homework" crap. Because nobody cared enough.

Evil manages to be so depressingly banal. Again.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:18 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Default Oh, for God's sake!

Quote:
Sabraw said he would agree to delay the deadline for reunifying the youngest children if the government could provide a master list of all children and the status of their parents by 10 a.m. Pacific time on Monday. A government lawyer said she could not attend a status conference over the weekend because she had out-of-town dog-sitting responsibilities.
Seriously. Seriously.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...border-n889301

Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
That attorney isn't the only one on the govt payroll. Let them send someone else.

A Judge has forbidden the govt from saving any DNA data taken for the purpose of matching children to parents.

I would like to know what the Courts can do to enforce their rulings. I don't think we can send the director the agencies to jail, although I would like them treated just like those kids. Maybe what would get the wheels grinding is to assess a monetary penalty of something like $1,000/day per child payable to the child that would be invested in e-bonds payable when the child reaches their majority... and maybe use that money to bond their parents. If the child dies before they reach their majority the money is distributed to a fund for that birth year and re-allocated to the remaining children. Grant each of those children the right to immigrate legally when they are 18 years old.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
As a few - very few - children are returned to their parents, these is indisputable evidence of neglect and mistreatment and overt cruelty also coming out.

A six year old with severe osteoporosis was sent to a foster home, where he was beaten, denied his medication, and beaten again when he cried for his mother. He was unable to walk by the time he was freed from that petty hell - and he'd been beaten because he was unable to walk. The foster "parents" and an older boy, son of the foster "parents", had participated in beating this helpless little child, who did not speak English and who was very unlikely to have understood what he was being told to do.

A fourteen month old baby was returned to his mother Olivia. When she changed his dirty clothing, she was horrified: he was crawling with body lice and appeared to not have been bathed at all during the 85 days he was kept in detention. He had been kept in a "shelter", rather than in a foster home.

Lawsuits are underway in both horrible cases. How many other children are suffering similar utterly cruel abuses? Where are they? Our government has no idea.

Why is the Red Cross being kept out of the "shelters"? What are the requirements for "foster parents", and what kind of training and supervision do they receive? Why are elected officials not being admitted to the places the children and teens are being sent? Why are other NGOs not being allowed to visit - churches, child welfare groups, etc.? What kind of health care and supervision do the children receive? Why is there no sense of responsibility on the part of the federal government and the agencies directly involved in this perversion of child care?

Why are there no answers?

The reported cost of keeping a child in detention seems to be around $700 a day, although I have also seen it reported as $1,000 a day.

Blood money.

Some may say this is all the fault of the illegal immigrant parents, who should never have brought their children here in the first place. Be that as it may, who could treat helpless little children as cruelly and callously as these two little ones were treated? A child has no idea if he is legal or illegal, but he knows when he is scared, hurting, lonely, and confused. How terrified these children and others like them must be. I ask you who blame the parents this and appear to think that justifies abusing their children, how would you feel if it were your child or grandchild or any child you care about?

How any individual or government can cynically try to justify this is beyond me, and I will continue to speak out against it as long as I can, in every way I can, as best I can. It is evil.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 07-06-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
You have to be a special kind of stupid not to do the same thing that every hospital in the country does in maternity wards. Mom & Dad get a bar code plastic bracelet, child gets a bar code plastic bracelet.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'll say it: There was never a plan. The records weren't destroyed or lost, they were shoddy or non-existent.

Nobody had the first clue what they were doing and now - when they're cornered like rats - the best they have is this "The dog ate my homework" crap. Because nobody cared enough.

Evil manages to be so depressingly banal. Again.
I knew this was going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies