Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have a major problem with people getting fired over something they did on their own private time (short of rape or murder). I expected to find that he was an employee of Whataburger, and they had every right to fire him. But no, he worked at a bar.

What he did was wrong, and the guy at the pool way overreacted when calling the police, but neither one should be fired from their completely unrelated jobs for it.

I used to tell my kids that the greatest invention in my lifetime was the Internet, but now I think it is ruining the country. People are more polarized and far less civil. We have information at our fingertips, but we know less (and less that is true). We know far too much about what others are thinking...and eating, and drinking, and what their kids are doing. Enough already!
I so agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This kid is only 19 years. Fired from his job plus a criminal record. What employer will want to hire him now?

George Soros or Vladimir Putin.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
I have a major problem with people getting fired over something they did on their own private time (short of rape or murder). I expected to find that he was an employee of Whataburger, and they had every right to fire him. But no, he worked at a bar.

What he did was wrong, and the guy at the pool way overreacted when calling the police, but neither one should be fired from their completely unrelated jobs for it.

I used to tell my kids that the greatest invention in my lifetime was the Internet, but now I think it is ruining the country. People are more polarized and far less civil. We have information at our fingertips, but we know less (and less that is true). We know far too much about what others are thinking...and eating, and drinking, and what their kids are doing. Enough already!
As a coworker I would feel unsafe near a violent person.

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:

I think people on both sides need to be more civil. I have never gone up to a stranger and did what this guy did. Seems way over the top and wrong. Texas is a right to work state you can be fired for almost anything or nothing at all. His employer has the right to fire him. And I would feel the same if it was a Trump person assaulting a liberal. We need as a society to show restraint. That I have always thought is what makes someone a mature adult. Attacking people you don't agree with accomplishes nothing.

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Not a fan of the interwebs mob getting people fired.
I agree. I can’t stand this stuff. One moment of indiscretion and the person's life is ruined. This guy will probably be able to get a job again if he works in a bar, but what about the dentist? Or the Red Hen owner? Or that guy who made that video ranting at a drive-thru at Chick-fil-a who had a professional career? He was one of the first in this trend, and was interviewed several years later and said it took him years to find a job because of that video, and I don’t think it was even in the same field and paid less. Even if people weren’t upset by it, they just didn’t want to deal with the infamy.

The only way to stop it is if people back up these people and employers grow a spine.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
Quote:
This kid is only 19 years. Fired from his job plus a criminal record. What employer will want to hire him now?
He’s 30 not 19. The boy was 16. The story on the Current says a 19 second video so maybe that’s where 19 comes in. He was a part-time door watcher per his previous employer so no great career was ruined. The 16 year old who got the drink in his face was accompanied by his Hispanic friends - yes I’ve seen interviews with them so I’m absolutely sure of what they look like and there’s no mistaking one as definitely not being any sort of white supremicist. The story from the “witness” has been discredited by employees of Whataburger (not to mention the absurdity of 2 Hispanic boys suggesting lynching all minoroties) and video from the store was reviewed by the police before they decided to arrest Kino. A family member has also stated that he has always been a bully.

This is all local news for me, I know this Whataburger, it’s not in a “white” part of town. There IS no “white” part of SA in fact. It’s not a conservative town except for certain suburbs and some neighborhoods on the north edge of town. The media is liberal, the mayor and city council are liberal and the police chief is liberal so this is not a case of a little conservative rural one stop-light town picking on the progressive outsider.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
As a coworker I would feel unsafe near a violent person.
Well, a violent person would have done more than throw a drink in his face. I don’t think what he did was right, at all, but to be fired from his job over it? People are angry and riled these days, and they are no longer rational. But there are people with criminal records that have a better chance of getting a job than this guy does now. Is that right? Because someone posted a video, people are talking about this in other countries now.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,750,643 times
Quote:
Well, a violent person would have done more than throw a drink in his face. I don’t think what he did was right, at all, but to be fired from his job over it? People are angry and riled these days, and they are no longer rational. But there are people with criminal records that have a better chance of getting a job than this guy does now. Is that right? Because someone posted a video, people are talking about this in other countries now.
Meh...companies don’t want to be associated with folks who commit crimes that make international news, especially if political in nature, even if they are only borderline violent. Sucks for him, but learn to control your liberal rage.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:

The man is 30 years old.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:37 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,750,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The man is 30 years old.
Yeah, I was thinking that was established early on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies