Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

I just had to highlight this, because I don't ever remember seeing a story put in these terms.

FAA To Passengers: Not Our Job To Regulate Seat Size, Legroom On Planes

This is the caption under the photo...

The FAA declined to regulate...

Let's just stop right there.

When have you EVER heard that a government agency declined to regulate?

That just struck me because it seemed odd to read that - but that's a good thing.

If people don't like the seating, their dollars will flow elsewhere. Regulations are not needed since the FAA has judged it as not being a safety issue. Common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,779 times
I never have an issue with planes, its only the real obese people I see complain.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I never have an issue with planes, its only the real obese people I see complain.
And short people, and tall people, people who want to recline their seats vs. people who don't...

Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
While IDK how big of a deal it is with seating.

I don't trust companies to 100% make their own judgement. Their sole purpose is to make money. And they'll cut corners any way they can to do it.

That's why we don't have flammable rivers these days.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
And short people, and tall people, people who want to recline their seats vs. people who don't...

Theres always the alternative to drive. Its up to the person to pay for the luxuries of the airliners they want to fly. Pay first class if you want amenities. I see no issue and I dont care as long as people can sit and stay out of my seat space. If someone obese gets beside me, I will raise hell if their stomach encroaches into my space.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Or the super tall. The only problem I've had with flying--seat-wise--has been when I've been seated next to an obese individual who protruded over into my seat, making for a very uncomfortable flight.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Theres always the alternative to drive. Its up to the person to pay for the luxuries of the airliners they want to fly. Pay first class if you want amenities. I see no issue and I dont care as long as people can sit and stay out of my seat space. If someone obese gets beside me, I will raise hell if their stomach encroaches into my space.
Some people probably cant drive. Some probably need to get some place ASAP. Like a dying relative or important business trip.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Some people probably cant drive. Some probably need to get some place ASAP. Like a dying relative or important business trip.

first class.

also for fat people. - if I get sat beside someone protruding into my seat, I will raise hell. either I get upgraded or they are upgraded or I get paid off by the airlines and make news.

Quote:
As for individual airlines, here are their policies:

Air Canada: Offers extra seats for free to passengers who need multiple seats because they are “disabled by obesity or because they must accommodate another disability.” Passengers who require extra seats must fill out this form prior to departure.

Aeromexico: The airline does not have specific information regarding overweight passengers but under its special needs section, it notes that it offers seats with mobile arm rests for passengers with wheelchairs to move to and from their seats.

Alaska Airlines: Alaska requires passengers to buy extra seats if they can’t fit in a seat with the armrests in the down position.

Allegiant Airlines: Allegiant requires passengers to buy extra seats if they can’t fit in a seat with the armrests in the down position. If a flight is sold out, pasengers who can’t fit in their assigned seat will not be allowed to travel in the interest of safety.

American Airlines: If the passenger requires a seat belt extension and his/her body extends more than one inch beyond the edge of the armrest, that passenger is required to buy an extra seat.

Delta Airlines: If a passenger is unable to sit in his/her seat without encroaching into the next seat while the armrest is down, the passenger is encouraged to ask the an agent to be sat next to an empty seat. It also suggests upgrading to business or first class.

Frontier Airlines: If passengers can’t lower both armrests and/or encroach on other seats they must book two seats.

Hawaiian Airline: Hawaiian offers three options for passengers who can’t fit in their seats: 1) buy two seats in advance, 2) upgrade to business or first class, or 3) call customer service ahead of the flight to find a seat assignment with an adjacent empty seat.

JetBlue: No clear policy on its website.

Southwest Airlines: Passengers who are concerned about not fitting into their seat should meet with the gate agent before their flight and if needed, the passenger will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat.

Spirit Airlines: No official policy on its website.

United Airlines: United has a strict policy for overweight passengers: if they can’t comfortably fit in one seat, they will be required buy another seat for each leg of their trip. If passengers don’t buy an extra seat ahead of time, they may be required to purchase an extra seat on the day of departure at the rate that’s set for that seat on the same day.

WestJet: The airline deals with overweight passengers on a case-by-case basis. WestJet will offer passengers an extra seat due to disabling obesity or certain medical conditions. A doctor is required to fill out the airline’s medical information form within five days of a trip.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
first class.
Buy the man's gotta see his dying relative, and he's pretty tall. Plus he cant afford first class.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
first class.

also for fat people. - if I get sat beside someone protruding into my seat, I will raise hell.
Ah, your one of those "I wanna speak to your manager" types. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies