Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:06 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,130,307 times

Advertisements

Fortune magazine: Trump's Tariffs Have Led to Layoffs at U.S. Manufacturers

Unemployment rate up to 4.0% from 3.8%

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1015211809735880706

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 07-07-2018 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,205,738 times
More people are looking for work. Do you even do any research before you post these silly threads?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,636,143 times
Your link isn't working. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Trump's Tariffs Have Led to Layoffs at U.S. Manufacturers | Fortune

Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,636,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
More people are looking for work. Do you even do any research before you post these silly threads?
Exactly! More people are actually out there trying to get a job again that were just sitting at home feeling hopeless. While I'm sure the tariffs will be blamed every time a company decides to cut some of their labor force, the bottom line is the effect has been extremely minimal thus far. Not to mention that companies like Harley Davidson were already closing plants and moving operations overseas before Trump ever imposed these tariffs.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,381,615 times
I suspect there will be consequences just what impact it will have is not clear. I know my state of Washington will be hit in the agricultural sector real hard. A big thing throughout Asia from here is apples and other fruit.

The only good thing I can see coming from this is in the future some of the jobs that went over seas may return.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 AM

27,366 posts, read 28,445,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The unemployment rate has ticked up mostly because more people who were on the sidelines are now looking for work. So, they are now being counted among the unemployed whereas previously they were not.

In any case, 4% is considered full employment.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,118,393 times
Quote:
The uptick in the +.2% may not yet all be a direct result of the tariffs but the reality is the Trump tariffs will indeed result in more job loss (it is already if you read the article) to the tune of 2.6M jobs lost. You can deny or call it fake news all you want, but try not to stick your head in the sand too much less YOU too lose your job/business/retirement savings/etc. MAGA!

"...While the White House has argued that these tariffs will bring jobs back to the U.S., the U.S. Chamber of Commerce argues in a new campaign that 2.6 million American jobs could be lost as a result of “recent and proposed trade actions by the Trump administration.”

Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Your link isn't working. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
Fixed, thank you.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly! More people are actually out there trying to get a job again that were just sitting at home feeling hopeless. While I'm sure the tariffs will be blamed every time a company decides to cut some of their labor force, the bottom line is the effect has been extremely minimal thus far. Not to mention that companies like Harley Davidson were already closing plants and moving operations overseas before Trump ever imposed these tariffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The unemployment rate has ticked up mostly because more people who were on the sidelines are now looking for work. So, they are now being counted among the unemployed whereas previously they were not.

In any case, 4% is considered full employment.

Claims: 3

Sources: 0

What's usually termed Fake News!

Old 07-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Your insulting reply is uncalled for. Nowhere in my post did I state what caused the uptick in the unemployment rate. I merely shared two items of economic news. Any linkage between the two items is entirely in the mind of the reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies