Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be illegal to retaliate?
Yes, keep America safe 5 71.43%
No, we should make people afraid to report crimes 2 28.57%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

See something, say something. That’s how you protect the nation from criminals and terrorism. But recently, people are being shamed and retaliated against for reporting suspicious activity. We need an open process that allows people to report crimes and terrorism without fear of retaliation. Congress needs to make it illegal to shame, fire, or retaliate against people who try to protect the nation and their communities against crime and terrorism. That’s the right to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
See something, say something. That’s how you protect the nation from criminals and terrorism. But recently, people are being shamed and retaliated against for reporting suspicious activity. We need an open process that allows people to report crimes and terrorism without fear of retaliation. Congress needs to make it illegal to shame, fire, or retaliate against people who try to protect the nation and their communities against crime and terrorism. That’s the right to life.
Has being black in public become a crime? Because that's what people are being "shamed" for reporting people for. Black while in a Subway store, black while swimming, even black while being an elected official out talking to constituents and campaigning for reelection.

Otherwise, I have no clue what you are referring to.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Has being white in public become a crime? Because that's what people are being "shamed" for reporting people for. White while in a Subway store, white while swimming, even white while being an elected official out talking to constituents and campaigning for reelection.

Surely we shouldn't use skin color to determine crimes.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:45 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Has being white in public become a crime? Because that's what people are being "shamed" for reporting people for. White while in a Subway store, white while swimming, even white while being an elected official out talking to constituents and campaigning for reelection.

Provide examples of people calling the cops on white people doing those activities while not committing any actual crime.

Go ahead.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Specific examples?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Who's gonna protect us from Congress?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Who's gonna protect us from Congress?
Really though. Haven't they dissappeared and libeled/slandered/ruined some of those reporting their "suspicious activity?"

Old 07-07-2018, 01:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I've lived many places in my 65 years and don't remember once I ever had to report people for suspicious behavior.

This discussion is somewhat similar to "stand your ground" in that a white dude murdered some black kid because of loud music in an SUV....at a convenience store.

Firstly, cops usually have MUCH better things to do. Their job is not really to act as "condo police" and the like...although sometimes there is no choice. Believe me, they have a LONG list of career criminals, investigations, sex offenders, accidents and more important things to do than chase down every "suspicion"....

Those who are paranoid and refuse to accept the "risk" of living with others should hole up in gated communities and only go to the top-end mall or order from Amazon.

The rest of us will lead normal lives.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

Shaming and crime are two separate things.

Years ago we has a local lawyer and developer whose entire modus operandi was being mean and nasty - that was his stock and trade (sorta like our current POTUS). At some point he was shamed for doing some things and he complained.

I noted, in a letter to the editor, that society has ALWAYS used shame as a "check and balance" and that it is often a good thing. Maybe this lawyer had an ounce of morality left inside him and actually cared what others think?

That said - as usual, these things get taken too far...and then will self-correct. So don't think I am defending every A-hole that shames others. Personally, I don't do that stuff...I mind my own business. But some people do need to know that society doesn't accept their ways.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:19 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
What is this nonsense poll about?

Of course 'see something, say something' should be without repercussions. Obviously if I see someone taking pictures of the backside of a dam or poking around a water reservoir suspiciously I just might raise an eyebrow and call the sheriff.

Now if I see a kid mowing the grass and making a buck? C'mon...

This poll is silly crap you'd see on that SF forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies