Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Children of immigrants from Former Yugoslavia has strengthened Soccer across many countries. From Australia to Switzerland to even Sweden (Ibrahimovich), Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian ethnicity has done wonders.
Especially Switzerland. I think they have the same amount of ethnic Albanians as they have ethnic Swiss on their squad lol. There were even a couple of controversies with Swiss players celebrating goals with Albanian symbols.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Especially Switzerland. I think they have the same amount of ethnic Albanians as they have ethnic Swiss on their squad lol. There were even a couple of controversies with Swiss players celebrating goals with Albanian symbols.

18 out of 23 players of Australia Soccer Team either hold multiple Passports or born to immigrant parents. They were eligible to represent Greece, Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Samoa, Lebanon, Iran etc beacuse of their parents but chose Australia. Balkan wars and immigrant exodus created Soccer loving demographic in Australia.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
You can not be English unless you are white. This is an indisputable fact of life. Same way as a white player playing for the Nigerian team is absurd. England is a white country. Just because one particular generation allowed the borders of a centuries old country to be opened to anyone in the world does not change that.
What about English colonies? Indians and South Africans are not white. Are they considered English "subjects"? Just asking.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:30 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
For example, most of the Europoen countries have few players who are actually from that country. England is less than half white for example. US and Canada have also seen similar shifts. So, even if your pro open borders, why root for a country at all? Can you really feel pride for your homeland when you’ve imported players from foreign lands?
That would disqualify the US from all international competition.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 AM

Population Demographics who actively participate in Sports are not necessarily the true representation of the population of that country. Some ethnic groups excel in particular sport, some do not.

USA, UK, Canada, Australia has millions of Indians, Pakistani, Bangladeshi people but there is not a single Footballer or Soccer player or Athlete or swimmer from that group.

Few thousand Jamaica immigrants and there children will dominate and shine in Athletics not only from their country but also for Canada, UK.

Look at Spelling Bee, dominated by Indians !!! Thats what they do. Just 1% of Indians (out of Total Population) in USA are now almost 100% of Spelling Bee Finalists.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
To me, soccer makes the World Cup pointless.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
You can not be English unless you are white. This is an indisputable fact of life. Same way as a white player playing for the Nigerian team is absurd. England is a white country. Just because one particular generation allowed the borders of a centuries old country to be opened to anyone in the world does not change that.

This is not any new phenomenon. In the days of colonialism and British Raj, I can give you many examples.

England Cricket Team had players from India representing them even 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjitsinhji
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duleepsinhji
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iftikhar_Ali_Khan_Pataudi

On the other hand, India had a small population of Anglo-Indians, white people of British heritage and they represented India in different sports like Hockey, Football, Athletics.

I am inserting a picture of India Hockey Team which won Gold Medal at 1928 Olympics, Probably 6 or 7 players are White.
Attached Thumbnails
has open borders made World Cup, Olympics, etc, pointless?-indian_hockey_team_1928_olympics.jpg  

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
I am English (born and bred), I am white, my Mrs is English (born and bred) she is black, are you suggesting that my children are not English because they have black skin? That my friend is simple 'racism'.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
So British West Indies? Colonies? Former colonies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.