Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 10:42 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Incorrect. No rights are inalienable. That is a philosophy known as intrinsicism. It is incorrect. Rights are not intrinsic. Rights are created by Man and for Man. They are a human invention and a human implementation. In America we have freedom of religion. That implies and guarantees the corollary: freedom from religion. We can choose any religion or no religion. Freedom. The desire to curtail abortions is essentially an imposition of one's religious notions on others. You can't do that. In a free country, you should seek to run your own house as you see fit, and NOT TRY TO RUN THE HOMES OF OTHERS.

Rights are not created by man.

Rights are inherent to being human.

Hypothetical situation:

Everyone on the planet besides you and I suddenly disappears.

I plan to attack you to take your food, shelter, etc for my own.

Seeing how there is no police to protect you...no government to stop me......

Do you have a right to defend yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There's a much, much bigger picture here that you aren't seeing. I don't actually care about abortions nor do I want to prevent them or block people from having them.
Good, then we have that covered. I like people who don't want to infringe on the rights of others.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about men using condoms.

How about women insist men use condoms, instead of caving in so quickly to satisfy an urge.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
And I said, unlike your gun, my abortion poses NO threat to your life.

Even though you may not plan on killing me with your gun, your gun could be stolen and used to kill me.

Unlike your stolen gun, MY abortion does not have the capacity to kill a bunch of people in a theater, school, mall or nightclub etc.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Quote:

Nobody wants to take away your abortions ladies, we just want some common sense abortion controls. I mean, why would so many of these people actually need an abortion? Can't we come to some sort of compromise? Perhaps we could eliminate abortions for anyone who's had an abortion before? What about strict background checks for anyone seeking an abortion? What about closing the Planned Parenthood loophole? These seem like common sense abortion controls that everyone should be able to support right?
These are not at all reasonable suggestions. 1. No repeat abortions? It is just as reasonable to say that if any woman has ever had an abortion, no man should consent to sex with her. Sex happens. Mistakes happen. In addition, some abortions are for medical reasons, and because of rape or incest. This would be an arbitrary and unrealistic punishment. 2. Strict background checks? What does that have to do with it? If you have a criminal history, does that make you less pregnant? It is NOT like a background check for guns. 3. What is the "Planned Parenthood loophole?" Planned parenthood delivers complete care for women. This is just part of the whole picture. There are no loopholes.

Any of you who are trying to compare this to gun control are engaging in demagoguery. A an inanimate object that can be used to deadly ends and a woman's body and her control of it have no parallel.

The only rules that I have seen about abortion that I consider reasonably "common sense" are limiting it to before the fetus is viable as a baby, and parental consent for girls under 16, with allowable exceptions determined by a judge.

The other way to make abortions less common is to make birth control more available, to give young people better education concerning sex, and better opportunities so that they will want to refrain from getting pregnant because they have goals and dreams other than being teen parents. As for people who aren't teenagers but who have abortions, the availability of medical care, including birth control, is what comes first. I haven't seen a big movement by the right to make sure that the population has available and affordable birth control. (In fact, the Right tends to cheer when businesses refuse to include birth control in health insurance.) Until they do much better with that, it is hypocritical to call for abortions to stop.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Rights are not created by man.

Rights are inherent to being human.

Hypothetical situation:

Everyone on the planet besides you and I suddenly disappears.

I plan to attack you to take your food, shelter, etc for my own.

There is no police...no government to stop me.

Do you have a right to defend yourself?

No, once everyone disappears and society is no more, then rights are gone. We now have jungle law in effect and the strongest will overcome the weakest. In this case that would take the form of me overpowering you.

Rights are NOT INHERENT. Rights are NOT INTRINSIC. Rights do not exist independent of conscious rational beings that require them to enable social cooperation and mutual flourishing. Rights are essentially agreed upon restraints of human behavior. Rights are a human invention, and vary from society to society. For example in North Korea, there are very few if any rights. North Korean social organization does not recognize or respect individual rights. You exist at the pleasure of society which takes the form of the authoritarian state. You can be killed at any time if your behavior is outside the tight sphere of what is allowable.

Rights arise out of the branch of philosophy known as Ethics. They are conceived, designed, constructed, and implemented based on our nature and identity. They flow from Ethics into the discipline of Politics, and finally are codified in the profession of Law.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about men using condoms. Or maybe have their sperm frozen and then have vasectomies. Why do people always blame women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Amen to this post. Men cant imagine that avoiding pregnancy would be their responsibility too.

Either party can use effective contraceptives whether the other participant chooses to do so or not.

It takes both a man and a woman refusing to take responsible action to bring about an unplanned pregnancy.

Men don't wear condoms because they don't like how they feel.

Women don't like condoms either, and for the same reason.

As for "common sense", not allowing the state to decide who is or is not a person is about as common-sensical as it gets.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How about women insist men use condoms, instead of caving in so quickly to satisfy an urge.
Again always blaming the women. In all honesty women don’t need men to satisfy an urge. They are quite capable of satisfying themselves and to be really honest many women fake it with men. Some of you guys just aren’t all that lol

Old 07-07-2018, 10:55 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And I said, unlike your gun, my abortion poses NO threat to your life.

Even though you may not plan on killing me with your gun, your gun could be stolen and used to kill me.

Unlike your stolen gun, MY abortion does not have the capacity to kill a bunch of people in a theater, school, mall or nightclub etc.
I own a ton of inanimate objects that could easily be stolen and used to hurt or kill a bunch of people but I'm very careful with my inanimate objects, guns included. Aside from that, stealing and killing people are already illegal so no amount of additional laws against it will prevent a shooting or killing.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
I never said it could end my life, I simply said it was designed to purposely prevent or end a human life. That's the whole point of an abortion, there's no other goal other than ending or preventing a life.
On the contrary, abortion can be used to reduce the risk of death to the woman who has to carry the pregnancy.

Since it is FACT that a woman is more likely to die from carrying a pregnancy and giving birth than having a legal abortion, just like your gun, it can be used by a woman to protect her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies