Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,188,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The title of this thread is a lie.

McConnell was not "assaulted by the left," he was confronted by his constituents.
Exactly.

More people should hold their elected leaders feet to the fire, they've had far too easy of a ride.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Free speech is not for making threats. It is not for intimidation. It is not for harassment.
Those things got people killed. Usually the person or persons making the threat, while intimidating & harassing the other person, were the one killed. Rightfully so. Courts even approved.
Have you told that to your hero, Alex Jones, or your Dear Leader, Donny T?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
More unhinged hate from the left. I guess MOB RULE is their end game. Like Steve Scalise, I fear for the lives of all Republicans. Hate and violence from the Left grows daily.
Oh puhleez.

McConnell is a public official and his constituents are giving him feedback. I doubt many of them are "far-left".

Talk about double standards.

Rightwingers love to crow about being non-PC, confrontational, and sneering about snowflakes, but when it comes to getting a little taste of their own medicine, ya'll cry like little babies.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
BentBow seems to think that physical (or at least personal) forcefulness is the end-all, be-all of worthiness to escape disrespect. Leaving aside the fact that Huntsville, San Quentin, Attica, and Raiford Prison, are not exactly known for breaking new ground in further widening the gap between our present state and extinction, the fact remains that he would love to see humans "evolve" into essentially reptiles with oversized brains and sophisticated tool kits. That is to say, the language, intellect, and creativity may be that of a human; but we'd have the impulses, drive, sentiments (or "soul" for a shorthand term) of a crocodile. Or at least that's the implication.

Let's follow this one out and see where it takes us.

If survival alone is everything, then we'd have to say that any organism's activity not devoted to the four F's: Food, Fight, Flight, and....Procreation is a waste of time, calories, and nutrients. That would mean everything we call "culture" is pointless: from the Lascaux Cave paintings to whoever is today's cuttingest edge artist, musician, author, sculptor, etc. After all, why read novels or view paintings when it's cheaper to simply get the straight scoop in the "how tos" of survival? Makes more sense than listening to some long-winded fiction story. I suppose where it concerns paintings, if they are simply an instruction manual on a wall about how to kill your rivals for mates, or game, or lions and tigers and bears oh my, paintings could be practical. But anything like da Vinci and Modigliani or Pollack? Nah!

Same thing for speculating about the nature of things beyond immediately obvious survival value for the individual. No science, mathematics, logic, etc. (unless the most primitive parts of our brain are, in fact, the best guide to truth, which you'll have to either take or leave).

As for the more immediate personal relations stuff - from "mere" other humans to your mate and offspring?

* No friendship, simply temporary alliances with no more substance than two parties to a business contract. As soon as he or she fails to serve their productive (for you) purpose, just don't worry about them
* No romantic love, simply lust for your mate. They're simply baby factories and batter suppliers and nothing more.
* No parental love (at least not in a human sense). Just glorified bodyguards, instructors, and consultants about "how to properly achieve life's essential functions of The Four Fs.
* No love of children (at least not in the real world human sense) just forward carriers of your DNA, to be defended in the same sentiment as would distribution center manager defend his company's merchandise on an conveyer belt, or a farmer defending his own crops.

So from all this, it seems the most admirable person under this paradigm would be someone who rarely ever depends on anybody else at all - like a crocodile who only occasionally gets together with their fellow crocs. Just grabbing what they need and want, and to hell with other crocs except to the extent they find other crocs useful.

This is exactly what I'd have to conclude is the ideal human being IF I were to agree with BentBow's paradigm of how humans and nature are or ought to be. Maybe BB would find this a fulfilling life, but I don't know.

On top of all this, as alluded to, if we got rid of all the weak, timid, strange, socially or cognitively incompetent, or even "ugly", we'd find ourselves lacking in a lot of useful, high-contributing people: doctors, scientists, engineers, accountants, IT workers, and high skilled machinists, and...the list is practically endless. Even assuming the Strong, Smart, and Brave (SSB) normal don't kill them but merely enslave or otherwise exploit them for the SSB's own purposes, it's a proven fact that enslaving, exploiting, or otherwise indignifying others leads to inferior results - for people simply will not be motivated to work their best if you see them as disposable at best, contempt at worst. That's precisely why slavery is an inefficient system, and why even "mere" Dickensian type of worker exploitation leads to inferior results.

In short, there's a reason why Homo sapiens, particularly "softer" cultures of them, tend to provide a higher quality of life, prosperity, and political stability than dog-eat-dog cutthroat competition. Look at Scandinavia today and look at 19th Century Britain (at the time, the most advanced of the European nations, the most responsive to the needs of their lower classes AND did not experience violent revolution).

I could go on, but I think my point is clear.

So be it. Don't threaten me, my family or my property and we will never ever have a problem. I hope you feel the same. What I value, you may not. What you value, I may not.

Many people have made the ultimate sacrifice for liberty. Some were the tyrants and some were the patriots, but in the end, Liberty, rang.

I may die or sit in a jail cell, but that person will never ever be able to oppress another ever again. I may have save thousands over the years from that scumbags wrath. It just takes one, to make a stand.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You have no clue about the principles on which this country was founded. Citizens have every right you can imagine to interact with their elected public officials in any non violent way they wish. It's amazing to me that you believe otherwise. I bet if Mitch was a progressive you'd see this situation in an entirely different light.

I disagree with the bolded. citizens have the right to protest any public official in a public setting. citizens do not have the right to invade someone else’s property to harass someone dining in a public place or to harass people at their homes.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,557,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who dehumanized the weak and the freaks? Looks like `ol Mitch is standing his ground. No weak or freak there.
Now that Pruitt guy... weak.....
You did, the moment you referred to them in those terms, and spoke of them being "culled" as if they are cattle.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,737,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I disagree with the bolded. citizens have the right to protest any public official in a public setting. citizens do not have the right to invade someone else’s property to harass someone dining in a public place or to harass people at their homes.
If elected officials don't make themselves accessible to their constituents to listen to them, their constituents are left with no other options but to confront them when they see their elected officials in public.

Take home message: offer town hall meetings for your constituents. Do what you were elected and paid to do, listen to your constituents!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM

57,009 posts, read 25,978,952 times
Quote:
Some of you should educate yourselves before making WRONG statements. From the dictionary:

ASSAULT. noun: assault; plural noun: assaults

a strong verbal attack.
"the assault on the party's tax policies"
1. 2.
a concerted attempt to do something demanding.

YES he WAS assaulted by the left wing Mob.
Well using your definition people get assaulted by Trump everyday

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM

10,386 posts, read 3,965,841 times
Quote:
More unhinged hate from the left. I guess MOB RULE is their end game. Like Steve Scalise, I fear for the lives of all Republicans. Hate and violence from the Left grows daily.
For some reason, I'm not upset about this. McConnell is another politician I despise because he's been in Washington forever, but gets nothing done. All talk, no action. Just another leech.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,478,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If elected officials don't make themselves accessible to their constituents to listen to them, their constituents are left with no other options but to confront them when they see their elected officials in public.

Take home message: offer town hall meetings for your constituents. Do what you were elected and paid to do, listen to your constituents!
This to me is a very reasonable response. I really don't like the idea of the public going after politicians on their own time and dime, and I don't want this to become a new "thing" that we run with, because I really feel it's uncivilized behavior. But as Jojahn correctly states: if they don't make themselves available to their constituents, then constituents are not left with many options. It is high time that they remember who they work for. I just hope we can find a way to do that without regularly resorting to these public melees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies