Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I see. If one government program didn't work out so well, then they are all bad?
"One"? government program didn't work out so well? wow

Welfare (free money gov't program): Do you truly understand how welfare works and how it discourages people and keeps people in poverty? Do some research and understand the requirements and limits.

Housing Crash (easy money program): Government housing policies, over-regulation, failed regulation and deregulation have all been claimed as causes of the crisis, along with many others. While the modern financial system evolved, regulation did not keep pace and became mismatched as programs always do.

School Debt Crises (another easy money gov't program): Americans increasingly turned to borrowing—and the government made it easier for them to do so (easy money). Easy money -> drives up cost -> more people struggling or in poverty. The origins of the student loan crisis have parallels to the origins of the mortgage crisis.... government.

Obamacare (a gov't redistribution program) And of course there is Obamacare. A book can be written about how badly written the law is.

And notice, with all the free and easy money even more people are in poverty. Government taking from one to give to the other only drags more people down. Government easy money policies only work to drive up cost where people who could once afford it no longer can.

Last edited by petch751; 07-09-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM

609 posts, read 303,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Right now no but in the future robots are going to be going to be good enough most if not all the jobs humans do. Do not believe me then why are some the top people in tech business saying it will.
Top people in tech are arrogant. For over 200 years people have been saying technology will eliminate the majority of jobs, and it hasn't happened yet (in fact the opposite has happened), so I am not worried.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Addressing the implementation of this tyranny is the wrong approach. UBI is wrong even if it were free and the money was dropped from the heavens to pay for it. It is, of course, naked theft, nothing else. But what kind of person, what kind of man, wants his survival to be dropped on him in the form of guaranteed largesse? What kind of human being wants this kind of shield from his own incompetence, weakness, poor character, and existential impotence? UBI is an assault on human pride and virtue, even if it were free, which it isn't. It's pure evil, and to even want it or argue for it is a damnation of one's very system of thinking about life.

You do realize that everyone would be getting the basic income so even if they took out taxes to pay for it you would still be getting it back. About any person would like to know that they have a safety net if something goes wrong in their life their is nothing wrong with that no one gets by just on their own we all benefit from each other. Even if people got basic income they could still work it does not take their drive to succeed away. Not sure why you have this childish mentality of whats mine is mine you can not have it and have a temper tantrum when someone else wants some. Growing up most people learned that sharing is a good thing.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Not sure why you have this childish mentality of whats mine is mine you can not have it and have a temper tantrum when someone else wants some. Growing up most people learned that sharing is a good thing.
Childish mentality? Only children rightfully expect something for nothing. And if I am willing to work 40-60 hours a week why should someone who refuses to work get what I work for?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 AM

UBI was recently endorsed by the Movement for Black Lives as part of a reparations program. The Movement for Black Lives’ demands include universal basic income, as described in its policy statement on Reparations.

The document makes clear that MBL endorses a basic income for all Americans, with an additional amount (a UBI “PLUS”) given to Black Americans as reparations for harms ranging from colonialism and slavery to mass incarceration.

https://basicincome.org/news/2016/08...icial-plaform/

Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Top people in tech are arrogant. For over 200 years people have been saying technology will eliminate the majority of jobs, and it hasn't happened yet (in fact the opposite has happened), so I am not worried.

Just because they may have been wrong before does not mean they are wrong now past history does not always predict the future. There is actual evidence of machines building cars and being put in fast food restaurants so it is not far fetched at all.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 AM

A basic income would tax work to the hilt so that others could be paid to do nothing. Common sense dictates that you reward work, not punish it. The Finns figured it out. Why haven't we?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
A basic income program would give every single person in the United States enough money to meet their basic needs.
On paper this looks it would cost a great deal of money.
But in reality the vast majority of people would end up paying it all back in taxes.
Only the very poor would keep all of it.

There are 125 million households in the US. 20% of those households make less than 20,000 dollars a year.
Giving each of those households $12,000 a year (1000 dollars a month) would cost 300 billion dollars.

Many government programs (like food stamps) could be greatly reduced or even eliminated entirely and there would no longer be any need to increase minimum wage.
The money saved would help offset the cost of the program.

Once peoples basic needs are met even part time minimum wage work will become desirable.
With more incentive to work more people will choose to work.
Reduced unemployment would also help offset the cost of the program.

US GDP = 18 trillion dollars.
At 3% yearly growth it will increase 540 billion dollars next year.

Republicans are against welfare because they say that pay should be proportional to work.
These are the same politicians that make $50,000 for a two hour speech.
When they are willing to give up their speaking fees and "consulting" fees then maybe we can talk about giving up welfare.

I am not saying it is wrong for them to earn $50,000 for a 2-hour speech.
I am saying it is wrong for them to earn $50,000 for a 2-hour speech and then demand that people give up welfare because they say that pay should be proportional to work.

Detailed cost analysis:

Why hasn't anyone thought of that before!

Don't quit your day job.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Childish mentality? Only children rightfully expect something for nothing. And if I am willing to work 40-60 hours a week why should someone who refuses to work get what I work for?

It is not for nothing it is for being a human, being a citizen of this country. You do not seem to complain when CEO's of failing companies get golden parachutes or people win the lottery or kids get inheritance from their parents see these are all examples of people getting something for nothing but it only matters to you when the poor people you seem to dislike get it.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A basic income would tax work to the hilt so that others could be paid to do nothing. Common sense dictates that you reward work, not punish it. The Finns figured it out. Why haven't we?

Right now people are working and not even making enough to live on and have to rely on welfare so working is not rewarding a lot of people. Basic income would only be enough for the basic food and shelter so people would still want to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies