Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm for using eminent domain when it's in the national interests. It's selfish not to care about that more than a piece of dirt you own, IMO.
There are no “national interests,” only property rights. Any use of private land without explicit consent of that property owner is outright theft and may be prevented by any means necessary, up to and including deadly force.

Selfishness is a virtue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You'd think we would have been smart enough to restrict private ownership for 1/4 - to at least a minimum of 1/8 of a mile around the perimeter of our country.
Thus aside from the leftist kooks who would demand 1 trillion dollars for their little section (in the hopes of creating a safe space for the illegal aliens to cross), we would not have to pay for any of the land we had the foresight to restrict from private ownership.
Who's “we?” And who gives them a right to restrict property ownership?

Property rights are absolute. Period.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Funny how an avowed leftist is worried about this subject, when you oppose a wall and want open borders.
I guess you just want to post any and everything negative (in your view) hoping the wall will not get built.

On a side note, I'd be surprised if peoples personal property line went right to the border with another country.
You'd think we would have been smart enough to restrict private ownership for 1/4 - to at least a minimum of 1/8 of a mile around the perimeter of our country.
Thus aside from the leftist kooks who would demand 1 trillion dollars for their little section (in the hopes of creating a safe space for the illegal aliens to cross), we would not have to pay for any of the land we had the foresight to restrict from private ownership.
`
I don't care about the wall. I don't think it will do much since many take airplanes here but I do find it amusing that the same people that are so eager to take health care away from sick people have no problem spending endless billions on a wall. All we heard was deficit, yet boom they blow $1.5 Trillion within months, then want billions for a wall. Build the wall but never again tell us we can't afford health coverage for the entire country. We apparently can afford anything.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't care about the wall. I don't think it will do much since many take airplanes here but I do find it amusing that the same people that are so eager to take health care away from sick people have no problem spending endless billions on a wall. All we heard was deficit, yet boom they blow $1.5 Trillion within months, then want billions for a wall. Build the wall but never again tell us we can't afford health coverage for the entire country. We apparently can afford anything.
I agree the wall is a stupid idea. But so is universal government healthcare. And all other government programs.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Who's “we?” And who gives them a right to restrict property ownership?

Property rights are absolute. Period.
Don't be obtuse, as all land that is part of American soil does not mean it is available for purchase to the very inch of that border.
Thus many a person lives on the border of a nature preserve, or the like, without being a fraction of an inch away with property ownership.
So whether you want to call it a buffer zone, restricted area, etc., I'd have thought the government would have enough land between the border and private property land owners to be able to build a wall on it without paying extortion prices.

My point was valid and on point without the need for your tripe.

`

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Don't be obtuse, as all land that is part of American soil does not mean it is available for purchase to the very inch of that border.
Thus many a person lives on the border of a nature preserve, or the like, without being a fraction of an inch away with property ownership.
So whether you want to call it a buffer zone, restricted area, etc., I'd have thought the government would have enough land between the border and private property land owners to be able to build a wall on it without paying extortion prices.

My point was valid and on point without the need for your tripe. `
There should be no public land at all, meaning that all land should be either homesteaded or available to purchase via the free market, so your point is not valid or on point whatsoever.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
I agree the wall is a stupid idea. But so is universal government healthcare. And all other government programs.
Not only is it stupid, it's dangerous. History has shown that only autocratic dictators have ever been able to build large walls. They command it to be done and the flunkies do it no matter whose toes get mashed.
This is what Trump is trying to do. He's commanded it to happen and is very petulant that it hasn't happened yet. If it get's built in spite of all legal property rights, then he will have won and we will have lost a nation to a madman. Trump has always run his businesses on the concept that, "I command, you get it done".
When the commands of a dictator override the law and the constitution, there is no nation left. Only tyranny.
If they can roll over your property, then they can roll over you.
I disagree with the slam on the health care issue.
If a nation has tax collection and that money is put in the "General Fund", then the first dollars spent should be on the health of the citizens of the nation.
Everything else comes second.
Keep them healthy and everything else will take care of itself.

Last edited by mohawkx; 07-08-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM

23,589 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
People carp about the cost of the wall, which is an estimated $25 billion, along with a fraction of that to maintain the wall on a yearly basis. Yet, the illegals cost the taxpayers almost $140 billion every year, and that cost will continue to go up if we don't do something about the illegal problem.

A one time cost of about $25 billion versus a yearly cost of about $140 billion -- seems like a no brainer, build the wall and save money

The wall along with e-verify, stopping the freebies, ending birthright citizenship or reform the 14th Amendment, where someone can't just waltz into this country and pop out a citizen baby, and, create a task force to go after ID thieves since a large number of illegals do use the ssn's of citizens to get freebies, income tax returns, etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
There are no “national interests,” only property rights. Any use of private land without explicit consent of that property owner is outright theft and may be prevented by any means necessary, up to and including deadly force.

Selfishness is a virtue.

Securing our border isn't in the national interest? What good would your land be if terrorists enter your property via our southern border and destroy you and millions of other American lives? Where the hell are your priorities? Selfishness is a virtue?

And yes, the good walls erected on shorter sections of the border have been a huge deterrent. They haven't been a waste of time or money.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
When an interstate was design to go over a poor neighborhood, people was buying the land super cheap and opening fake business on it, to demand high prices for the land, taking the state to court, I wondering if they are doing that here to. Just me but I feel the border should be federAl land anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies