Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000006

"Your honor, my defend pleads apple juice"..
Real story. In the final process of getting our green cards, the family was summoned for the 'interview' portion. You are given an appointment time -- yes the same for all five. You arrive an hour before and wait two to three hours. They then call 'your number'.

Five of us -- two adults and one 2 yr. old, one 9 yr. old and one 11 year old.

Each one of us given a number. When the baby's number was called I walked up with him to the counter...and the person behind said -- only one of you. I asked her if I was to hand over the 2 year old and go back to my seat. She looked up and sputtered -- no you stay. She was rude and nasty. Then my number was called and I had to pass my child to my husband to finish with the child and then I had to go and do my thing. Again the stupid clerk sputtered -- just one of you -- I had to explain to her (after telling her -- oh that's my number) - -my husband had to take over holding the infant.

They were rude and condescending. Probably had less education than I did but felt superior. Stupid people.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM

25,805 posts, read 16,456,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yes, that's obviously what this thread is about. How astute.
And a one year old understands the immigration debate I’m guessing? Go away already.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Real story. In the final process of getting our green cards, the family was summoned for the 'interview' portion. You are given an appointment time -- yes the same for all five. You arrive an hour before and wait two to three hours. They then call 'your number'.

Each one of us given a number. When the baby's number was called I walked up with him to the counter...and the person behind said -- only one of you. I asked her if I was to hand over the 2 year old and go back to my seat. She looked up and sputtered -- no you stay. She was rude and nasty. Then my number was called and I had to pass my child to my husband to finish with the child and then I had to go and do my thing. Again the stupid clerk sputtered -- just one of you -- I had to explain to her (after telling her -- oh that's my number) - -my husband had to take over holding the infant.

They were rude and condescending. Probably had less education than I did but felt superior. Stupid people.
Oh you poor dear. You encountered a rude individual. And yet you went on to get your green card.

Such a harrowing experience!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,570,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And a one year old understands the immigration debate I’m guessing? Go away already.
Who claimed a one year old understands the immigration debate? Stop tilting at windmills.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 AM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
In 2018 the Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the Executive and have been unable to advance sensible proposals for immigration reform while preventing the Democrats from doing so. Making DACA recipients permanent legal residents is a great example of something that should be a no-brainer, yet what position have they taken on that in 2018? Democrats have their own issues, but the immigration reform failure can be laid at the feet of Republicans who want to appear tough on illegal immigration without actually being tough on illegal immigration.

Giving millions of illegal aliens amnesty including the DACA's is not "reform. It's rewarding them for being in our country illegally. Why should the DACAs get treated special? Why shouldn't they have to go back home and apply to come back legally as legal immigrants do along with their law breaking parents? Without doing so it's a slap in the face to immigrants that came here the right and would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration.

We don't need illegal aliens retaining American jobs and resources and we don't need the DACA's competing for them either. Trump is being tough on illegal aliens and it's about time that someone was.

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Oh you poor dear. You encountered a rude individual. And yet you went on to get your green card.

Such a harrowing experience!
Never said it was harrowing or asked for pity.

That's a strange conclusion for you to come to.

Maybe you struggle with interpreting situations.

Just pointing out how incompetent immigration staffers are.

1,081 posts, read 546,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Have you never been to the DMV?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM

11,677 posts, read 5,700,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Deplorables defending despicable treatment of children.

Anyone surprised?
Please tell this deplorable - why Democrats did nothing to address this when they had the chance? Too many of you feel only 1 side is beholding to the American people - sorry both parties have that duty to serve their constituents - and the Democrats had the chance and failed.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,570,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Giving millions of illegal aliens amnesty including the DACA's is not "reform. It's rewarding them for being in our country illegally. Why should the DACAs get treated special? Why shouldn't they have to go back home and apply to come back legally as legal immigrants do along with their law breaking parents? Without doing so it's a slap in the face to immigrants that came here the right and would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration.
Because it is the most practical thing to do under the circumstances. If we are going to make it easier to enter the country legally, what is the point of forcing illegal immigrants to go through the ministerial step of putting their foot outside of the country during the application process? It doesn't do our economy any good to deport 13 million people even if we could. Let them apply for naturalization, pay back taxes, and contribute to society and the economy going forward. This is particularly true for DACA recipients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We don't need illegal aliens retaining American jobs and resources and we don't need the DACA's competing for them either. Trump is being tough on illegal aliens and it's about time that someone was.
Actually we do. The US has a labor shortage and an aging population.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Where there's the rub. You want to reduce legal immigration as well when virtually every economist on Earth thinks we should do the opposite. Increased immigration expands the economy, the tax base, and the labor market. We have a labor shortage, a greying populace, and declining birthrates. Look at Japan's fiscal situation. That's where we are headed with folly like this.

I would like to reduce illegal immigration. There is a cheap, humane and effective way of deterring illegal immigration. Additionally, immigrants can be incentivized to emigrate legally if measures are taking to ensure that the process is not unnecessarily onerous. That is not the proposal being floated. Walls don't work to prevent the free movement of people. They never have and never will. Ask the Mongols.

What utter nonsense. There is no labor shortage just an unwillingness of some greedy employers to pay a fair wage. What's wrong with declining birthrates? Environmentally it's much better for our country and the planet in general. Everything shouldn't be about money. A smaller economy to fit a smaller population makes more sense in general.

Most of the illegal aliens here are the unskilled, poor and uneducated. Should we soften our immigration policies to accommodate more of them when obviously they would be a burden rather than a benefit to our society?

Walls do work as a deterrent. I have posted links numerous time proving that the good walls do work and are working on our border where they are already erected. We just need to complete the 700 miles on the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress back in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.