Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,381 times

Advertisements

Welcome to America - the Western country with worst labor laws and workers protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:25 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
At my work, if you are made a salary employee you are expected to work overtime or work whenever it's deemed necessary. Your paycheck is quite a bit higher than an hourly employees.
If you're an hourly employee and work overtime you are paid to do so. You don't clock out until you leave. If you work after clocking out, you are subject to disciplinary action including termination.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I get paid for OT so I guess I can't comment. Everyone I know gets paid for OT.

Some people are able to choose comp time. I wish I could.
Yeah same here. I even got paid if I was called at home. Holiday was double time same as Sundays.

I dont know anyone who isn't paid overtime for working over 40 hours. I mean other than salaried workers, but they chose to go after the big bucks up front. Careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Are you tired of working unpaid overtime?
I did, and became a contractor and got paid for it. 800 OT hours few years ago, but now there is no OT since all the work is going to India. I actually had to train them to do my job which they finally learned. Its probably time to look for a new gig before the axe falls.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If you're an hourly employee and work overtime you are paid to do so. You don't clock out until you leave. If you work after clocking out, you are subject to disciplinary action including termination.
Yep. Now the new trend is that hourly workers have to pay travel expenses out of their own pocket. Things have taken a turn for the worse.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep. Now the new trend is that hourly workers have to pay travel expenses out of their own pocket. Things have taken a turn for the worse.

Hey- don't worry that huge corporate tax break will trickle down...eventually.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where? Every job I ever had the employer paid travel expenses. I just retired 6 months ago and was paid for a trip I took for the company 2 weeks before retiring. Well paid an allotment to include up to $20 for each meal. Alcohol not included. Company normally flew me business class. Always nice hotels and car rental.
Now if you work for a small company I can see that maybe they won't pay travel expenses, but then as an employee I am not going if I have to pay for it.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Hey- don't worry that huge corporate tax break will trickle down...eventually.
Yeah, right. I was an S-Corp, and my taxes went up by so much I converted to W2. If you are an S-Corp, you might want to check with your tax guy, because you could be looking at a big disappointment next March.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You are right, but you are being unfairly put under pressure at that point for an answer.

I walked out at 5 anyway

At this point you need to understand the IT terms involved. I got a lot of work done that day and it still wasn't enough.

I think that was plain enough. OT is for emergencies
My husband was an Independent Contractor in IT for many years. He billed the company for his hours worked, which was stated in the contract signed. If there was a some push for a special project and they wanted him to work past 5 PM, he billed for those extra hours he worked.

This field dried up back in the 90's. Surprised?

Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Where? Every job I ever had the employer paid travel expenses. I just retired 6 months ago and was paid for a trip I took for the company 2 weeks before retiring. Well paid an allotment to include up to $20 for each meal. Alcohol not included. Company normally flew me business class. Always nice hotels and car rental.
Now if you work for a small company I can see that maybe they won't pay travel expenses, but then as an employee I am not going if I have to pay for it.
As a full time employee the company will always pay for it (and charge the client), but if you are working for yourself as a contractor, or as a W2 through a consulting firm, the clients used pay for the travel expenses, but now that is changing. Consulting firms won't pay for it anymore, because the clients wont reimburse them. The client might pay for a small portion of it, or none at all. Not sure what changed, but maybe they can't deduct it in taxes anymore, or something. Maybe they realized they are holding all the cards and don't have to pay. I was asked to pay for a full month on the road. Airfare, rental car, hotels, everything. My client is in Top-10 largest corporations in US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies