Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times

Advertisements

they chose between paying what they owe or having the power cut off. They chose no power. What's the story here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 04:45 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
They are are sold that way. Sadly it is not all covered by insurance and battery back ups can be expensive out of pocket and not all people can afford them.
Admittedly a bit off topic but my curiosity led me to go search.

I could not find one tank regulator that was AC/DC. Did find one that used batteries .
Can't even imagine the usefulness since tanks are used for portability so my curiosity remains
(Unless the battery operated ones plug in to recharge the batteries)

Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
The power company should have a record of everyone who has lifesaving equipment like this. My mom had an oxygen tank while under hospice care at home, and the utility company was notified. This also makes you a priority in the event of a blackout.

I'm sure there will be a lawsuit.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Show me an oxygen tank that's "powered by electricity".
Should we show you how to conduct a Google search?

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The lady was old enough, she would have been on Medicare which provides oxygen, tanks and concentrators? I'm assuming she did have coverage since she was on ?
Possibly a wrong assumption?
The concentrators generally can support higher levels than the tanks.

Medicare takes the route of lowest cost per patient and will supply the concentrator and a few tanks for portability but not unlimited oxygen tanks.

The flow rate of concentrator is between 0.5 and 10L/min. Each liter per minute can concentrate an addition 3% of oxygen. So 10 l/min can increase concentration by 33%. Normal room air oxygen is 21%. So the max a concentrator can provide is 21+33 = 54% or so. This is more than enough for home use purposes where the usual rate is 2 L/minute. But in a hospital setting sometimes you need 90 or even 100% oxygen. That can only be provided from liquid oxygen in tanks, not concentrators.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Admittedly a bit off topic but my curiosity led me to go search.

I could not find one tank regulator that was AC/DC. Did find one that used batteries .
Can't even imagine the usefulness since tanks are used for portability so my curiosity remains
(Unless the battery operated ones plug in to recharge the batteries)
So my uncles tank is not portable (he is saving to buy a portable one, which will run him $3500 out of pocket). The tank he has attaches to the breathing apparatus which needs to be plugged in to work. It has a long hose/tube allowing him to move freely around his house. There are battery packs one can buy to plug the apparatus into for emergency as well as for people who have portable tanks.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just because the article said tank,does not mean it was a normal tank. Today rather than than old fashioned tanks concentraters are the norm. The tank does not have to be changed regularly. Tanks are much more dangerous to use, as if each change is not done properly. Using concentraters are much less expensive to use than tanks, and insurance companies including medicare pay for them. They do not have to be constantly monitored to see how soon they have to be changed.

I know something about this, as I have to use 1 at night. We bought a portable one on wheels that operates on 110 power, 12 volt power to use in a car, and lithium batteries rechargeable of course we use when traveling away from home.

In fact I don't know anyone still using old fashioned tanks. Much safer now, without having to change tanks. You can assume that as electricity was needed it was not old fashioned tanks. The reporter just did not know the right name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Hers was powered by Electricity

(A person died here.Some of you all are a real compassionate bunch. And you are surprised when a British person starts a thread wondering why we all hate each other so much in America.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Should we show you how to conduct a Google search?

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'll post this again, since so many of you obviously missed it. Which doesn't surprise me since most people don't read any further than the headline.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/healt...rnd/index.html

The article shows a picture of her oxygen tank, which clearly is just a tank and not a concentrator. It just blows my mind how far you guys will go to ignore facts in order to defend the alleged victim.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
I'll post this again, since so many of you obviously missed it. Which doesn't surprise me since most people don't read any further than the headline.

The article shows a picture of her oxygen tank, which clearly is just a tank and not a concentrator. It just blows my mind how far you guys will go to ignore facts in order to defend the alleged victim.
It seems to me that the additional problem was the high temperatures that day. Odd that the family never complained about not having an air conditioner or fan running (due to a lack of electricity) in order to help cool her off.

Quote:
Temperatures that day in Newark, where Daniels lived, were as high as 91.

"We were getting ice and putting ice on her, fanning her, trying to make it cool, but we couldn't pump the oxygen," said her daughter, Desiree Washington.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
(A person died here.Some of you all are a real compassionate bunch. And you are surprised when a British person starts a thread wondering why we all hate each other so much in America.)
I don't hate this family, I just have no compassion for idiots who might be suing the electric company over a situation that was entirely the family's fault.

Again, if there had been a power outage in the area because of the heatwave and everyone overloading the power grid with the use of their air conditioners, this exact same situation would have happened.

You call 911 right away and have her be taken ASAP to the hospital's ER waiting room in order to be in air conditioned comfort and with access to electricity and medical personnel.

You don't waste time arguing on the phone with the electric company.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:

Yes, it does and it was already said they used a tank after the power went off so that doesn't mean anything
In fact, if she was that severe, she wouldn't have been using just a tank and would certainly have had more of them in the house since they run out in a matter of hours unless it was HUGE
That does remind me, since she had oxygen a call to the supplier would also have worked
Some other information here has simply not been accurate but that what makes CD so entertaining

And for Ohiogirl81, yes, please do a search and find one for me since I haven't been able to

Last edited by old_cold; 07-10-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies