Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

It was timed to benefit Hannity and the '"selection process" was a total sham. The other candidates were window dressing and useful idiots. Trump was pushing Kennedy to resign, and Kennedy said he would only resign if he could name his replacement - Kavanaugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Yup. While Trump claimed it was the result of a long and careful search, etc etc...now it turns out that it was just a backroom deal where Kennedy agreed to resign. Most corrupt lying administration ever.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Why are you surprised. Everyone knew he wouldn't nominate a Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Breyer type. Nobody to the right of them would be acceptable to the left.

Do you doubt that right now Gloria Allred among others are begging for women and men to make sexual misconduct allegations.
Of course they are and if they can't find anyone legit, they'll hire a hooker to state she spent the night with him and he beat her.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup. While Trump claimed it was the result of a long and careful search, etc etc...now it turns out that it was just a backroom deal where Kennedy agreed to resign. Most corrupt lying administration ever.
Well, let's get real.

Is anyone expecting him to say, ever, "I'm too lazy to study the issues, and don't bother giving things much thought, but here's my uneducated decision"?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I agree, Laura. That Bush came out for him is troubling. Bush had/has no interest in a southern border. Also, in North Carolina, Burr has come out in favor of him. That screams The Swamp.
That's crazy. Someone who happens to have been President recommends a nominee and that means the nominee subscribes to everything about that former President?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
in other words you guys still cant give trump any credit for anything. so stop with the window dressing, and flowery words.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you guys still cant give trump any credit for anything. so stop with the window dressing, and flowery words.

No. In other words, people will look for a reason to be upset if they are bent on being upset.

Please detail to the class where Kavanaugh will be a poor Justice.

We know Trump is in love with Trump. We've known that since he first started getting media attention in the 80's. Or was it earlier than that? No real earth-shattering news here.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
And by "phonier" I mean more contrived, with more self-serving hype. Here's what struck me yesterday, with Trump's announcing his Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh:

1. It's my impression that presidents don't usually do this by pre-empting prime-time TV, intruding into households across the country for this. I think it's usually during the daytime, from the Rose Garden or portico - as Obama did with Merrick Garland. I assume it's just Trump insanely bent on thrusting himself into as many homes as possible.

2. I may be wrong, but it appeared to me that the applause was longer and somehow with more simultaneity, as if it was pre-arranged, or as if there were a claque. Similarly, it seems to me that in the past, the camera is focused on the podium. This time the camera caught a standing ovation, which since not only is it unusual, but since Trump himself commented on it, I suspect was pre-arranged as well.

3. It was amusing how Trump was reading very slowly and carefully words that were clearly totally from someone else, trying not to stumble, but it also seemed that the speech was crafted to allow him to talk about himself more than other presidents do for these things.

4. Trump-like, he talked a while to delay the announcement, trying to build suspension in his tacky reality-TV way.

5. And then I have to say that my heart sank on hearing Brett Kavanaugh begin with the sycophantic flattery that Trump forced from his staff in the past.

Shortly afterward, I heard something that I could see would make Trump gravitate to him. He was part of Starr's Clinton impeachment group, but after that had decided that presidents shouldn't be subject to civil suits while in office. So Trump may well be anticipating cutting off any accusations that way. I'm now also hearing that he secretly made a deal with Kennedy.

Now we are getting mad and sad because a politician may play up media attention?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
And by "phonier" I mean more contrived, with more self-serving hype. Here's what struck me yesterday, with Trump's announcing his Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh:

1. It's my impression that presidents don't usually do this by pre-empting prime-time TV, intruding into households across the country for this. I think it's usually during the daytime, from the Rose Garden or portico - as Obama did with Merrick Garland. I assume it's just Trump insanely bent on thrusting himself into as many homes as possible.

2. I may be wrong, but it appeared to me that the applause was longer and somehow with more simultaneity, as if it was pre-arranged, or as if there were a claque. Similarly, it seems to me that in the past, the camera is focused on the podium. This time the camera caught a standing ovation, which since not only is it unusual, but since Trump himself commented on it, I suspect was pre-arranged as well.

3. It was amusing how Trump was reading very slowly and carefully words that were clearly totally from someone else, trying not to stumble, but it also seemed that the speech was crafted to allow him to talk about himself more than other presidents do for these things.

4. Trump-like, he talked a while to delay the announcement, trying to build suspension in his tacky reality-TV way.

5. And then I have to say that my heart sank on hearing Brett Kavanaugh begin with the sycophantic flattery that Trump forced from his staff in the past.

Shortly afterward, I heard something that I could see would make Trump gravitate to him. He was part of Starr's Clinton impeachment group, but after that had decided that presidents shouldn't be subject to civil suits while in office. So Trump may well be anticipating cutting off any accusations that way. I'm now also hearing that he secretly made a deal with Kennedy.

Would the "town crier" be more to your liking ?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:06 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
White House doesn’t deny report Trump made secret deal with Kennedy over retirement, replacement
Asked repeatedly if some sort of deal between Trump and Kennedy was struck before Kennedy announced his retirement, Shah dodged, saying things like “I’m not going to read out private conversations that Justice Kennedy had with either members of the White House or the president,” and, “Justice Kennedy can speak for himself.” But what Shah didn’t do is deny the NBC report.
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-anth...-13fd59473ecf/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies