Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

If he actually believed his first argument he wouldn't have to make the second argument. It's obvious that he doesn't even believe what he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Perhaps someone already posted this, but IMO this was another great job by President Trump! Prior to selection many constitutionalist conservatives were pushing for Amy Barrett as a stricter originalist/textis than Kavanaugh. I listen to Ben Shapiro now almost every day, and that is whom he wanted. Shapiro is a Harvard law grad, very serious, and very smart. Mark Levin also was pulling for Amy. So was I.

But Trump grasped the politics of the situation very well. If he chose Amy, Dems would have stalled the process and screamed "women's rights" from now until Nov. 6. They possibly would have taken back the Senate. As it is, the Senate is really controlled 51-49, and w/ McCain out sick it is really 51-48. There's a strong chance that she would not have been confirmed, then the Dems take back the Senate, and we have created a mess. I believe this may make it more likely that R's add seats.

Great job, President Trump.
LOL, 51-48, caught that. After thinking about it I agree with your post.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This strikes me as a deal made by Trump and Kennedy. Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh worked for Kennedy as clerks. Trump has probably seen Kavanaugh’s writings where he suggests the president is above the law etc.. this is so convenient for Trump who is the target of an investigation. If something concerned with Trump should go to the Supreme Court he will have at least 2 puppets on his side.
LOL, almost 2 years, not a shred of evidence. The media is milking you for all they can get obviously.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
For the record, I generally vote Democrat - I find these claims that Trump offered a quid quo pro with Kennedy dubious. While I wouldn't necessarily put it past Trump, that doesn't make it true. That's a piece of fiction until there's something more concrete proving it is true.

I just read up a synopsis on Snopes (which I still feel does a good job of laying out the facts). I don't see anything really fishy here. This is Alex Jones level stuff here (but with the party bias reversed). Consider that Kennedy is 81. He was appointed by Reagan, a conservative (even if a different type of conservative from today). It is relatively common for a judge to retire in a manner in which an administration with similar political ideals can nominate another judge with similar ideals.

The retiring of Kennedy was not really a surprise.

If Kagan or Sotomayor retired, then I'd have to wonder if there are shenanigans. I'd imagine Ginsburg and Breyer will try to hold on until 2020 - but even if they retired today, I'd be disappointed, but they are getting on in years. It wouldn't be unheard of.

While this is red meat for the liberal base, they shouldn't be buying into it. Especially without any real facts to back it up. It is mere speculation.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Brett Kavanaugh it is.

Let the Dem hysteria begin.
I don't have a problem with him.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A libertarian who both wants to get rid of abortion protections and have his Fourth Amendment rights taken away?

I don’t believe you.

I do believe that Trump supporters lack the ability to say anything critical about him or anything concerning him.
I don't care whether or not you believe me. Abortion is killing another human being....if you believe that being libertarian is allowing us to legally kill each other especially the least able to defend themselves, that to me doesn't define a libertarian and/or I'm not so libertarian that I believe we should be allowed to kill each other.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:19 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A libertarian who both wants to get rid of abortion protections and have his Fourth Amendment rights taken away?

I don’t believe you.

I do believe that Trump supporters lack the ability to say anything critical about him or anything concerning him.
It doesn't matter what judges think or feel, period.

Judges appointed rightly by Republicans don't typically legislate from the bench such as all of the left-leaning ones do.

There is evidence of this and a thread ought to be dedicated to that alone.

Chucklebuckets Schumer is the epitome of this.

He puts words in the President's mouth and his foot in his own.

Chucklebuckets is projecting onto the Republicans that which he and his party themselves do.

We're not stupid, we really aren't, and we vote.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I don't have a problem with him.
I assume you say that as a democrat...I've seen many democrats on other political forums say that, of the four possible choices, Kavanaugh was the most acceptable to the left. He doesn't really have an interest in readdressing abortion or gay marriage.

There were some more conservative judges that Trump could've picked that would've definitely gone after abortion, which is what Pence and many of Trump's supporters so desperately want.

But the recurring theme here is that Trump nominated the person that would be best for protecting him from Mueller, not what was best for advancing the conservative agenda.

Apparently an unnamed source (I know city-data hates unnamed sources LOL) said yesterday that some folks within the Heritage Foundation were disappointed in the pick, but smiled and applauded at the live event Monday night.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
McConnell will need to show balls to get this nomination through quickly. Does he have them?
He doesn't need much to pull it off in my opinion. Even if Collins and Murkowski switch, he only needs to put pressure on a single red-state Democrat up for re-election. The other 49 Republicans will tow the party line. And since they only need 50 (+Pence) to confirm a nomination, it'll be easy.

We are going to hear a whole lot of drama in the lead-up to the actual confirmation vote because the news media (Fox News, CNN, etc) know that division sells.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I assume you say that as a democrat...I've seen many democrats on other political forums say that, of the four possible choices, Kavanaugh was the most acceptable to the left. He doesn't really have an interest in readdressing abortion or gay marriage.

There were some more conservative judges that Trump could've picked that would've definitely gone after abortion, which is what Pence and many of Trump's supporters so desperately want.

But the recurring theme here is that Trump nominated the person that would be best for protecting him from Mueller, not what was best for advancing the conservative agenda.

Apparently an unnamed source (I know city-data hates unnamed sources LOL) said yesterday that some folks within the Heritage Foundation were disappointed in the pick, but smiled and applauded at the live event Monday night.
Good another reason that Coach K is great for America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies