Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
And by "phonier" I mean more contrived, with more self-serving hype. Here's what struck me yesterday, with Trump's announcing his Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh:

1. It's my impression that presidents don't usually do this by pre-empting prime-time TV, intruding into households across the country for this. I think it's usually during the daytime, from the Rose Garden or portico - as Obama did with Merrick Garland. I assume it's just Trump insanely bent on thrusting himself into as many homes as possible.

2. I may be wrong, but it appeared to me that the applause was longer and somehow with more simultaneity, as if it was pre-arranged, or as if there were a claque. Similarly, it seems to me that in the past, the camera is focused on the podium. This time the camera caught a standing ovation, which since not only is it unusual, but since Trump himself commented on it, I suspect was pre-arranged as well.

3. It was amusing how Trump was reading very slowly and carefully words that were clearly totally from someone else, trying not to stumble, but it also seemed that the speech was crafted to allow him to talk about himself more than other presidents do for these things.

4. Trump-like, he talked a while to delay the announcement, trying to build suspension in his tacky reality-TV way.

5. And then I have to say that my heart sank on hearing Brett Kavanaugh begin with the sycophantic flattery that Trump forced from his staff in the past.

Shortly afterward, I heard something that I could see would make Trump gravitate to him. He was part of Starr's Clinton impeachment group, but after that had decided that presidents shouldn't be subject to civil suits while in office. So Trump may well be anticipating cutting off any accusations that way. I'm now also hearing that he secretly made a deal with Kennedy.

You Trump haters wouldn't be happy unless you spin it into something negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you guys still cant give trump any credit for anything. so stop with the window dressing, and flowery words.
Oh, but you're wrong. I give Trump credit for appointing a justice who will save his behind in the event of impeachment.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Good another reason that Coach K is great for America.
Yes, it was definitely a win for Trump. Sad though that you'd celebrate that. If Trump is guilty of crimes, should he not be punished? If Obama was being investigated by the DoJ, would you want him to have immunity? Rhetorical question, because I know your answer.

However, when the Mueller investigation is made public, if a lot of evidence points to Trump being involved in or aware of illegal activity (no more "fake news," but actual, irrefutable evidence), Trump will most definitely lose in 2020.

Kavanaugh may be able to protect Trump from the DoJ for the next 29 months, but not the American people.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
The back-room deal thing was fake news put out by fake news NBC. They admitted as much when they retracted the story, but the genie was already out of the bottle and the liberals ate it up like flies on a pile of crap.

Funny how that the Supreme Court story has now taken center stage as the newest thing for the left to be mortified by. Immigration is on the back burner. The Dems claim they'll use every power they have to block the nomination, but the only things in their arsenal are a slingshot and a pocket full of lint.

They are so easily duped and whipped into a frenzy by their handlers. I'm surprised more of them haven't had a stroke by now.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yes, it was definitely a win for Trump. Sad though that you'd celebrate that. If Trump is guilty of crimes, should he not be punished? If Obama was being investigated by the DoJ, would you want him to have immunity? Rhetorical question, because I know your answer.

However, when the Mueller investigation is made public, if a lot of evidence points to Trump being involved in or aware of illegal activity (no more "fake news," but actual, irrefutable evidence), Trump will most definitely lose in 2020.

Kavanaugh may be able to protect Trump from the DoJ for the next 29 months, but not the American people.

The operative word being American:

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...-vote-in-2016/

Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump picked a nominee who is on record as the POTUS being above the law.

Go figure.
No, he said he thinks the POTUS should not be charged while in office, as it would be a distraction to a sitting president. He doesn't think that they are above the law. They would just have to be removed from office before charges could be brought about. He said that he thinks congress should pass a law to that effect.

Which means he currently thinks that a POTUS can be charge while in office. Otherwise, why would he think there needs to be a law made?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Having a Catholic in the mix should not hurt.
The court is full of Catholics. Sotomayor is a Catholic.

Personally, I'd like to see someone on the court that isn't Ivy League educated. Virtually all Harvard and Yale (with one from Columbia).

Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not many but a few that are already crying about Roe v. Wade and are ready to pounce on him because being Catholic automatically means he's going to try to undo that. He's already stated that Roe v. Wade is the law of the land and he has no intentions of changing that, but to some on the left it doesn't matter. They lump him in with the far right bible thumpers.
Really? Do you think that of Sotomayor?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
McConnell will need to show balls to get this nomination through quickly. Does he have them?

It will be the same set he had for the Gorsuch nomination.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Trump is who we elected, not Mueller. I realize The Swamp is butthurt at the nation rejecting their candidate but I do hope you will accept the results of the election which is step 1 in the treatment needed for TDS.

The only crime Trump committed was winning the election over the objections of the establishment and they're engaged in their insurance policy plan (Mueller and his 13 angry Democrats)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies