Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:06 PM

10,354 posts, read 3,947,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Yes, let's just throw out the Constitution while we're at it.
It's what a lot of liberal democrats want. Think about it. They hate the National Anthem, the flag, our laws. In California, they worry about plastic straws and illegal immigrants, but ignore the human feces all over the San Francisco city hall and all of the Americans who are homeless or lost their way.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:07 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 390,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
With the pending announcement of the new Supreme Court Justice, I'm hearing all sorts of horror stories how the Court will go "activist" and implement the conservative dream upon America. Not just Roe, but gay marriage, wage and labor laws, environmental regulations - basically taking us back to the 18th century.

I think this is hyperbole for the most part, but what if Trump is able to install 2 or 3 more hyper-conservative justices in his 8-year reign? We'll have a 7-2 ultra-conservative court which would undo a century's worth of progress.

If this indeed comes to past, and the American people vote in a super-majority of Democrats in retaliation (say, in 2024), the pressure of this hyper-conservative S.C. would be immense. The government would be hamstrung in just about everything the voters demand (such as the restoration of environmental regs.) In this case, the Dems would have 2 choices - one is to pack the court, i.e. bringing it up to 13 or 15 seats, with the president installing a crew of hyper-liberal justices to tilt the court back to liberal again, -OR- simply abolish the S.C. altogether. Just amend the Constitution, and voila, that storied institution is gone. The more I think about it, the better it sounds. Who needs a branch of government filled with unelected elders who cannot be held accountable to the desires of the American people? Eliminating the S.C. sure would solve a lot of problems, imo.
Abolishing the Supreme Court will do nothing but destroy our system of checks and balances. But let's be real here. The only reason you want scotus abolished is because the majority of members don't align with your preferred politics.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:12 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,396,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I am aware of that, but can easily envision the process becoming far more politicized than it should be, as divided as we have become along party lines.

It's my understanding that the founders didn't really want a two-party system, and I often wonder what, if anything, they might have done differently if they'd had the ability to see into the future.
I don't think they wanted a party system, they probably hoped not to be burdened with that type of factionalism, but they certainly would have been familiar with the parties in England at the time: Whigs and Tories.

Many of the loyalists during the revolution were called 'Tories' while they were being tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. They didn't seem to call them 'Whigs' by any accounts.

I feel we would benefit by having multiple parties and a parliamentary style legislature. If we had three or four strong political parties the congressional rules could be adjusted to accommodate them. It wouldn't require any amendments, just a change of the house and senate rules. However, selecting the president through the legislature (as in parliamentary democracies) is not allowed in the constitution.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,396,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Abolishing the Supreme Court will do nothing but destroy our system of checks and balances. But let's be real here. The only reason you want scotus abolished is because the majority of members don't align with your preferred politics.
This reminds me of all those posts we see about breaking up the country by red and blue states.

Again, not realistic and based upon a set of contemporary political alignments that are bound to change over time.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

29,949 posts, read 11,523,659 times
It seems to me that its better for people like you to move to Canada or somewhere else. Lots of people are fine with the Supreme Court. Personally there is virtually nothing in my life that the SCOTUS is going to effect. So they need to be left alone.

But if its such a big deal to you go somewhere else.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No one seriously suggests abolishing the constitution, I don't know where you get that. Complaints and criticism of the current and past US presidents are based upon the constitution, and the constitution is the remedy for Trump's criminality.

actually there are those that seriously suggest that we abolish the constitution, as they claim it has outlived its usefulness.

Quote:
I have seen elements of both parties complain about the electoral college, it is not new. I have been an active voter since the 1970's so I have seen a lot. It comes up after every election when one side or the other feels it has burned them.

and many of those have called for the abolition of the electoral college as well.

Quote:
The idea of abolishing ICE is not a call for open borders. ICE has only existed since 2004 in it's current configuration, and a reform of the organization would probably be a good thing.

actually ICE has been around much longer than that. it was morphed from the INS when that department was moved to DHS.

Quote:
There never has been a call for open borders by either party, and if you search for it you will not find it. You will find both parties calling for immigration reform at various times.

let me correct you somewhat on this, there has been no OPEN call for open borders. however many on the liberal side HAVE called for looser immigration regulations, and have called for sanctuary cities and even states. right now that is as close to a call for open borders as you are going to get.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,869,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yeah, because state reps from three states is totally equivalent to most of the MSM, a much larger number of democrat reps and senators, much of the liberal base, as well as the challenger backing the same thing when Trump won.
Don't you just love right wing hypocrisy?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,581,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The President's pick for SCOTUS, fill in the blank, is the most racist misogynistic xenophobic homophobic islamophobic terroristic dangerous sub-human being to walk the earth because of all this dirt we picked up, namely, fill in the blank.
lol, thats exactly whats going to happen

Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,145,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
With the pending announcement of the new Supreme Court Justice, I'm hearing all sorts of horror stories how the Court will go "activist" and implement the conservative dream upon America. Not just Roe, but gay marriage, wage and labor laws, environmental regulations - basically taking us back to the 18th century.

I think this is hyperbole for the most part, but what if Trump is able to install 2 or 3 more hyper-conservative justices in his 8-year reign? We'll have a 7-2 ultra-conservative court which would undo a century's worth of progress.

If this indeed comes to past, and the American people vote in a super-majority of Democrats in retaliation (say, in 2024), the pressure of this hyper-conservative S.C. would be immense. The government would be hamstrung in just about everything the voters demand (such as the restoration of environmental regs.) In this case, the Dems would have 2 choices - one is to pack the court, i.e. bringing it up to 13 or 15 seats, with the president installing a crew of hyper-liberal justices to tilt the court back to liberal again, -OR- simply abolish the S.C. altogether. Just amend the Constitution, and voila, that storied institution is gone. The more I think about it, the better it sounds. Who needs a branch of government filled with unelected elders who cannot be held accountable to the desires of the American people? Eliminating the S.C. sure would solve a lot of problems, imo.
Uuhhh, no.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM

17,284 posts, read 11,142,393 times
We should have a contest at some point about the kookiest least informed thread of the year. This one would be a very good contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies