Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

As a previous article said, Boston is in very high demand. Only problem is that there is SO much demand for housing that prices have escalated. There isn't any more room to build--they've got the Atlantic ocean on one side and the rest of the city is already built up.

They risk losing the talented workers that are needed due to unaffordability. Everyone wants to live in or very close to Boston. There is hardly any unemployment--more people are needed but where to put them?

Massachusetts doesn't tax people to death, in fact the property taxes are low and the only really expensive thing is the housing now that everyone wants to live there. I don't seem to remember much of a homeless population such as you hear about in San Francisco. Massachusetts is a great state and it seems that the incoming residents come from NYC and CA for the most part. (They think it's cheap, LOL.) People from a blue state moving to another blue state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Chicago and Detroit are losing people. New York and San Francisco are going up in population. If it makes you feel better, a lot of these blue people are moving out to cities in red states and bringing their liberal politics with them, so get ready.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a previous article said, Boston is in very high demand. Only problem is that there is SO much demand for housing that prices have escalated. There isn't any more room to build--they've got the Atlantic ocean on one side and the rest of the city is already built up.

They risk losing the talented workers that are needed due to unaffordability. Everyone wants to live in or very close to Boston. There is hardly any unemployment--more people are needed but where to put them?

Massachusetts doesn't tax people to death, in fact the property taxes are low and the only really expensive thing is the housing now that everyone wants to live there. I don't seem to remember much of a homeless population such as you hear about in San Francisco. Massachusetts is a great state and it seems that the incoming residents come from NYC and CA for the most part. (They think it's cheap, LOL.) People from a blue state moving to another blue state.
Yeah I’ve always heard Boston is expensive . That’s funny you mention people coming from NYC and CA thinking it’s cheap . We have that in L.A people from San Francisco and NYC thinking it’s cheap here.
For the price of a small condo you can get a decent sized house in L.A

I guess it’s all relative . I’ve never been to Boston but always hear good things about it .

Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have a LOT of California refugees moving here. For the most part, they are very conservative, to the right of me. They see what leftist policies have done to their former state and strongly oppose letting those same policies ruin Idaho. I am a NYS refugee and feel the same way-would HATE to see this state turn into the mess that New York is. For the most part, the people fleeing bastions of left-wing stupidity are working people, business people and retirees looking for a better place to live. The moonbats seem happy to stay where they are.
We all have anecdotal evidence like that. I left NY state a Republican and moved South and became a Democrat. And everywhere I look in my area, the transplants are liberal from either battleground or red states and are now living in a red state.

The point is, if people are migrating from a blue state to a red state, but are republicans - it changes nothing other than increases margins.

But if people are migrating from a blue state to a red state, but are democrats, the margins shrink. And then it might matter. (Vice versa for Republicans moving red to blue as well).

Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Chicago and Detroit are losing people. New York and San Francisco are going up in population. If it makes you feel better, a lot of these blue people are moving out to cities in red states and bringing their liberal politics with them, so get ready.
Chicago has a population of about 2.7 million.

Chicago Metro has a population of about 13.3 million.

Chicago’s population declined by 13,000 last year.

At this rate, Chicago will be DESERTED in 208 years.

In contrast, Chicago had 55 million overnight visitors last year. They spend huge sums of money on hotels, dining, shopping and entertainment.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
We all have anecdotal evidence like that. I left NY state a Republican and moved South and became a Democrat. And everywhere I look in my area, the transplants are liberal from either battleground or red states and are now living in a red state.

The point is, if people are migrating from a blue state to a red state, but are republicans - it changes nothing other than increases margins.

But if people are migrating from a blue state to a red state, but are democrats, the margins shrink. And then it might matter. (Vice versa for Republicans moving red to blue as well).
39% identify as unaffiliated, Independent voters instead of Republican or Democrat. Some sit out Primaries and some declare Republican or Democrat to vote in a primary to vote for or against a particular candidate.

Some unaffiliated voters, like Ivanka Trump ( a historical prolific fund raiser for some Democrats) , failed to switch from Independent to Republican in time to vote for her father, in the Primary.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
So the aging population of boomers is choosing to move to more affordable and often warmer environments.

That's what I did when I retired and I'm still a strong liberal, just live in a red area. Most of my retired friends also came here from other big cities and they remain liberal in their politics.
Yes, it doesn't have a lot to do with it for most people. It does for some, but I believe that's on both sides of the coin. I do think affordable housing, less crime, and clean air are worth skipping a state JUST because it's blue. Like you said, you yourself are still liberal. I think the Republicans in those states just hope you don't turn it blue, and adopt the very policies that led your previous state to become unaffordable or have homeless issues, etc.

Not all blue state big cities have these problems, but a lot of them have policies that make it difficult to control crime and homelessness.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I’ve always heard Boston is expensive . That’s funny you mention people coming from NYC and CA thinking it’s cheap . We have that in L.A people from San Francisco and NYC thinking it’s cheap here.
For the price of a small condo you can get a decent sized house in L.A

I guess it’s all relative . I’ve never been to Boston but always hear good things about it .
No kidding! When I moved to Phoenix I was amazed at how new, nice and inexpensive the housing was. The roads are new, the stores, new looking. I actually make more here due to fewer taxes as I own my own business. Not to mention driving, no toll roads, and large freeways since my business also involves driving.
I would never go back. I get everything I liked about Southern California without the dislikes.

I get puzzled with blue states wanting santuary cities, restaurants but at the same time wanting higher wages for all of these workers. Bringing in tons of people, and paying them more isn't really a possible scenario. They sort of contradict each other. https://www.eater.com/2017/5/2/15500...s-fight-for-15

‘Sanctuary city’ status could cost Bay State cities millions | Boston Herald

Can places like Boston, NYC, and L.A. really afford to harbor illegals? Up wages for all, and accept more and more people? I'd love to know how this will occur and still keep the cost of living within reach.

Or are they fine without the middle class? It seems at this rate it will just be the wealthy and the poor who clean, cook and do yard work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies