Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 AM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
To find the 50 U.S. metropolitan areas that have had the largest net decline in population as a result of migration between 2010 and 2017, 24/7 Wall Street reviewed population figures from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Population Estimates Program.

The 50 cities where the most people are moving away from can primarily be found in the Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast, particularly in states like Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and New York. Among the cities where people are leaving in droves are places such as Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, New York, and Los Angeles.

Looks like red states and cities to gain more population and electorial clout. Can't blame sane people for wanting out of places like Chicago and Detroit!
The last time Democrats controlled Ohio was 1984. Democrats have had full control of Michigan for 1 term in the last 30 years.

It is always interesting to watch people like you make such flawed arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,445,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't disagree that red states are less expensive. So is polyester clothing, so are bologna sandwiches, so is a Kia. Less desirable things are less expensive. Is the coast more expensive than Kansas? Yes, yes it is. Is Puget Sound more expensive than Galveston? Yes, for good reason. Guess what state is the number one contributor to Washington state growth outside of California? Texas. () Washington state has no income tax and property taxes are cheaper than Texas with better wages.

Housing is certainly more expensive in more desirable areas. Housing in Mississippi is super cheap.

I said Trump supporters, not Trump. Trump supporters tend to really get into the red state vs. blue state comparisons but reality is, blue states tend to be more desirable to live in and they are NOT being deserted.
You seem to be getting into it, so obviously your observation is incorrect. I must say, you need to get out more if you think the best this country has to offer is in Seattle WA. I do believe the input is job-driven and the output is affordability. But maybe you're right, Seattle is just the bestest! Sometimes spending more time with your kids, and enjoying life is worth a few bologna sandwiches to most families.

Despite your rant, people are moving from those places to red states. It's just a fact.
Whether people are moving in isn't the what we're discussing.

I had a different motivation.
I moved from California because that blue state was not more desirable. I wouldn't have stayed if it was cheaper because it's filthy, and has a natural disaster issue. If it's not burning down it's cracking up. The wealth distribution there is gross with income inequality at 7th in the nation, you spend half your life in traffic, and the lack of attention to their homeless is getting sadder by the month.

To each their own perception, but the fact remains, a lot of people move from blue cities to red ones. It doesn't really matter why it's just a fact.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,525,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
To find the 50 U.S. metropolitan areas that have had the largest net decline in population as a result of migration between 2010 and 2017, 24/7 Wall Street reviewed population figures from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Population Estimates Program.

The 50 cities where the most people are moving away from can primarily be found in the Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast, particularly in states like Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and New York. Among the cities where people are leaving in droves are places such as Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, New York, and Los Angeles.

Looks like red states and cities to gain more population and electorial clout. Can't blame sane people for wanting out of places like Chicago and Detroit!

Did Los Angeles and New York City really lose population or is that just fake news?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Did Los Angeles and New York City really lose population or is that just fake news?
According to the 3/22/18 NYTs, NYC has a recent growth rate of over 5%, reaching a record 8.6 million last year.

According to the 5/25/18 LATimes, LA grew at a slower pace but according to Census report released in May stands just a couple hundred short of 4 million.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 AM

Rust belt cities are losing population -- Pittsburg, Cleveland, Chicago, Toledo, Milwaukee, Detroit, ...

Understandable given the job situation and the general shift from the snow belt to the sun belt as people retire.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 AM

This forum has a steady stream of threads about how people are abandoning blue cities and states because of undesirable living conditions.

Is this something Breitbart, ZeroHedge, Fox ... are flogging?

Even without Census Bureau data, looking at housing costs would be clue that most blue cities continue to be desirable places to live.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This forum has a steady stream of threads about how people are abandoning blue cities and states because of undesirable living conditions.

Is this something Breitbart, ZeroHedge, Fox ... are flogging?

Even without Census Bureau data, looking at housing costs would be clue that most blue cities continue to be desirable places to live.
Many individuals do not want to admit that there are actually many people who are not interested in living in red states. For as many people that are moving to red states, there are many who don't want to move to red states, or who want to be in "blue America". It touches a nerve for many to know that many individuals would prefer to live in Seattle, Boston, Denver, Portland, etc over places like North Dakota or Nebraska. There are many who will extol on the virtues of being in a red state. For every Nebraska, Idaho, or North Dakota, you have Mississippi, West Virginia, and Alabama. I live in Georgia. Alabama is next door and I'm not interested in living in Alabama. There are times when I think "I don't want to be in Georgia". Alabama, Mississippi, and West Virginia are some very poor states with some problems. West Virginia is struggling with opiate addiction. Alabama has issues with a high violent crime rate and drugs. Mississippi has one of the highest murder rates in the nation, not to mention alot of unemployment.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,358,269 times
So the aging population of boomers is choosing to move to more affordable and often warmer environments.

That's what I did when I retired and I'm still a strong liberal, just live in a red area. Most of my retired friends also came here from other big cities and they remain liberal in their politics.

Last edited by zugor; 07-11-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 06:18 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,843,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
So the aging population of boomers is choosing to move to more affordable and often warmer environments.

That's what I did when I retired and I'm still a strong liberal, just live in a red area. Most of my retired friends also came here from other big cities and they remain liberal in the politics.
I turned 55 and promptly retired to another country. I am a right leaning Independent. Bang for the buck and cost of health care were the deciding factors for me.
Politics seldom enters my decision making when it comes to life choices. That said I would never live in a high tax state or city. I like to keep as much of the money that I earned.
Where I live there are ex-pats from a number of countries. The Americans, Brits, Aussies and Canadians all get along well. The Italians tend to gravitate towards us as well.
The expats from countries like Finland, Sweden, The Netherlands etc tend to be a bit anti-social even with each other. What we all have in common is a hatred for being over taxed.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Rust belt cities are losing population -- Pittsburg, Cleveland, Chicago, Toledo, Milwaukee, Detroit, ...

Understandable given the job situation and the general shift from the snow belt to the sun belt as people retire.
The rust belt has been changing though . But it doesn’t seem to be mentioned really in the mainstream media that is so coastal focused . They’ve diversified their industries . The thing also is housing is still very affordable.
In the Bay Area you are looking at close to $1 million or more for a house , same in L.A it’s just not affordable even on a decent salary .

Downtown Cleveland has seen an increase in population of milllennials for example .
Pittsburgh has a lot of tech companies now they have a lot of great colleges there .

Columbus , Ohio is doing really well . It’s the 4th fastest growing big city in the U.S

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...-in-the-us-we1

Life in the Silicon Prairie: Tech’s great migration to the Midwest
Startups and investors are increasingly foregoing Silicon Valley for the Silicon Prairie — and with good reason.
https://thehustle.co/life-in-the-sil...o-the-midwest/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies