Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Has he tricked any liberals? Borat mocked Eastern Europeans and American conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
A joke can be funny but to impose as a veteran and play on the goodness of the person is repulsive!

The left is out of jokes and on top of that the left never prey on any democrat! It is such a political witch hunt against a republicans that the left is losing many of what once were democrat voters. #walkaway.
So when a candidate for president mocked a disabled person it was OK, but when a comedian does it it's "evil"?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Yeah, examples of stolen valor are always something funny....

this point i'm curious about.

i think "borat" was ( and still is ) hilarious and that palin is beyond annoying but........

if cohen portrayed himself as a disabled US vet that is beyond wrong and the implication by claiming disabled would be that he was more than likely the recipient of a purple heart ( which would be a violation of the stolen valor act ).

would be interested to see the email exchanges between palin and cohen/showtime.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
For some reason, people buy into this kinda crap. Sarah Palin hasn't been relevant for a long time now anyways, but imagine for a moment that she was. We all know how easy it is to cut and paste and get another person to say whatever the hell you want.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GE2GNbDXRw

And that YouTuber is keeping it blatantly obvious. The tech to seamlessly put words into people's mouths ain't that complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUC4m6w1wo

But political bias blinds people. They don't keep their proverbial grain of salt handy when it's the Other Team's politician being made to look stupid. We're so very gullible that way.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
this point i'm curious about.

i think "borat" was ( and still is ) hilarious and that palin is beyond annoying but........

if cohen portrayed himself as a disabled US vet that is beyond wrong and the implication by claiming disabled would be that he was more than likely the recipient of a purple heart ( which would be a violation of the stolen valor act ).
Why would he care about that? He doesn't come across as someone who would respect US veterans or the US at all.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Oh FFS, we had just gotten rid of her.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Shasha Cohen was doing the same thing 16 years ago on his HBO series 'Ali G".

Palin doesn't like it, but as a politician, she's fair game. Her staff should have been smart enough to vet an interview that must have sounded odd, coming out of nowhere.

And whatever else, Cohen only gave Palin what she has always wanted the most- another few minutes of fame.

So all, in all, I think it was a pretty even trade. They both got what they wanted out of the interview. She gets a bonus afterwards with her outrage. That ought to be good for a few more minutes in the spotlight, hog that she is for that shiny beam.

Am I going to bother to watch it? Nope. A couple of Ali G's was enough for me in 2002. Cohen has made a specialty of out-stupiding the stupid. It's fun to watch once, but the thrill is gone the second time around.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Shasha Cohen was doing the same thing 16 years ago on his HBO series 'Ali G".

Am I going to bother to watch it? Nope. A couple of Ali G's was enough for me in 2002. Cohen has made a specialty of out-stupiding the stupid. It's fun to watch once, but the thrill is gone the second time around.
He was sorta funny with Ron Paul tho!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Has he tricked any liberals? Borat mocked Eastern Europeans and American conservatives.
Colbert has made tens or hundreds of millions mocking American conservatives...and he's from S. Carolina.

And he's funny.

There is a lot to mock there. His famous roast of GWB at the Press Party in DC will go down in history.

This is the American Way and just the idea that some people get their backs up is deeply troubling. One "conservative" paper just fired their cartoonist for daring to depict Trump too often. Not good.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Oh c'mon--this is what he does. Didn't anyone ever watch Ali G?

He did the exact same thing, and only a few stick in the mud politicians got bent out of shape.

"This sort of behavior" i.e., comedy, will only affect people with no sense of humor, and the idea that since Palin is embarrassed, people will vote for Trump reflects some weird logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies