Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Be vigilant of what? Some guy going about his day?
Must have been the puzzles. LOL

Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Be vigilant of what? Some guy going about his day?

No...but looking Out for what doesn’t seem right. Of course what seems odd to me might be perfectly normal to others. I’m just saying, most of us, me included, don’t do or say anything just because we aren’t sure..

Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No...but looking Out for what doesn’t seem right. Of course what seems odd to me might be perfectly normal to others. I’m just saying, most of us, me included, don’t do or say anything just because we aren’t sure..
Which is probably the right thing to do. If someone makes you uncomfortable with just their physical appearance that is your problem, not theirs.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Which is probably the right thing to do. If someone makes you uncomfortable with just their physical appearance that is your problem, not theirs.
Right....lol

Old 07-10-2018, 11:23 PM

6,263 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I was in the local big box arts and crafts store yesterday, and was leisurely browsing the aisles. I was going up an aisle (vertical, lets say "Northbound") when a person dressed all in black walked past (horizontally, let's say "Eastbound") at the end of the aisle. I just caught a glimpse of the all black attire, and really didn't think too much about it.

When I reached the end of the aisle and turned right, across the horizontal aisle two aisles up vertically, was the person dressed in black. This time I paid attention. The person was covered in black from head to toe, and wearing a face mask as if they had allergies. The person was checking out puzzles in the aisle, walking up and down looking at the choices, so I noticed the clothing. It was a long black duster which reminded me of what the Columbine shooter Dylan wore, split up the back so I could see the knee height black boots, which were "combat" looking, not fashion boots. I was not able to make out if the person was male or female.

I stood there checking the person out, and listening to my inner self to see if I felt any danger. I looked around, there were people all over, mothers with small kids, older ladies, couples, and I stood there debating about informing someone (staff) about this person, just to make them aware of their presence in the store, that it was a possible suspicious person. Standing there, I imagined this person whipping out a gun and begin shooting everyone in sight, beginning with me, as I was standing there watching (although the person never looked in my direction). It was not a far-fetched thought under the circumstances. So as I walked away, thinking about what to do, I thought "who would I tell? A manager. So what is the manager going to do, or be able to do? I don't think the store has security. Call the police on a person who had done nothing wrong? Go up to the person and say something? What could be said?" I was at a loss.

In the end I let it go, paid for my purchases and left. But I didn't like that I did nothing. I would not have forgiven myself if the person did shoot up the store.

What would you have done? Seriously. Because I don't know if there is an easy answer when in this situation.
It's the middle of summer. All black clothing, long black duster, combat boots are not normal summer wear. Not enough to "do anything" (as in alert law enforcement, store security, store manager etc.) - just enough to pay attention to on a personal level. We're taught to ignore our gut reactions instead of paying attention to them. That's a mistake. Again, unusual clothing is not enough to "do anything" aside from increase your own awareness. Situational awareness is never a bad thing - don't let anyone tell you that it is.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you feel like you are in danger, get out of the store and casually and call your local police dispatch (not 911). And just tell them what you see.

Maybe on your way out, ask somebody who works there if that person is normally there or not - and inform them you are calling dispatch so they are not caught offguard.
Thats part of the problem today! 'See something say something' has been a disaster, people are calling police for every little thing, and Id imagine making mountains out of molehills a lot of the time.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
You got freaked out by a Goth. Give away... summer, Black duster, High top lace-ups, "combat" boots are above ankle not knee high (even with a gaiter) , knee high are fashion boots.

Did you have a overly protective upbringing?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I've seen odd looking folks in places before that gave me the same feeling and did just what you did. Others can see the person and make their own decisions. I would definitely want to say something if they were acting in a threatening way but at that point there may not be time so leaving is always my go to!

There are too many weird people out there for me to determine anything based on how they look anymore. Some now go out of their way to be as scary or offensive or questionable looking as possible and I'd rather not give them the satisfaction of a reaction.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 AM

11,791 posts, read 5,798,330 times
I think many are being too hard on the OP. In some areas like mine - this kind of dress is seldom seen and being it's 90 degrees - it would draw my attention. Would I have acted on it - probably not because I would hate to cause problems for someone who's doing nothing but dressing outside the norm but I would be like the OP and wonder if I should have alerted someone.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I think many are being too hard on the OP. In some areas like mine - this kind of dress is seldom seen and being it's 90 degrees - it would draw my attention. Would I have acted on it - probably not because I would hate to cause problems for someone who's doing nothing but dressing outside the norm but I would be like the OP and wonder if I should have alerted someone.
What does it being 90F have to do with it. Dusters aren't heavy, they were recommended uniform of the Texas Rangers (the law enforcement organization, not the baseball team). A 12 duck black duster is lighter in weight than a denim jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies