Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Even if this individual had a gun, there is still nothing you could really do. Let's say they had a permit - this suspicious individual is a law-abiding citizen all the way up until he pulls the gun out. Second Amendment is great, right?
I believe a carry permit comes with a minimum flannel % requirement. Kind of like hunter orange. Flannel could be substituted with a trucker or cowboy hat.

Anyone not wearing the required uniform does not hold a valid CCW permit and should therefore be treated as suspect.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well I am quite odd, I've earned my freak flag and fly it loud and proud.
Us anarchists gotta stick together.

I'm not forcing a collective on you or anything though...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I was in the local big box arts and crafts store yesterday, and was leisurely browsing the aisles. I was going up an aisle (vertical, lets say "Northbound") when a person dressed all in black walked past (horizontally, let's say "Eastbound") at the end of the aisle. I just caught a glimpse of the all black attire, and really didn't think too much about it.

When I reached the end of the aisle and turned right, across the horizontal aisle two aisles up vertically, was the person dressed in black. This time I paid attention. The person was covered in black from head to toe, and wearing a face mask as if they had allergies. The person was checking out puzzles in the aisle, walking up and down looking at the choices, so I noticed the clothing. It was a long black duster which reminded me of what the Columbine shooter Dylan wore, split up the back so I could see the knee height black boots, which were "combat" looking, not fashion boots. I was not able to make out if the person was male or female.

I stood there checking the person out, and listening to my inner self to see if I felt any danger. I looked around, there were people all over, mothers with small kids, older ladies, couples, and I stood there debating about informing someone (staff) about this person, just to make them aware of their presence in the store, that it was a possible suspicious person. Standing there, I imagined this person whipping out a gun and begin shooting everyone in sight, beginning with me, as I was standing there watching (although the person never looked in my direction). It was not a far-fetched thought under the circumstances. So as I walked away, thinking about what to do, I thought "who would I tell? A manager. So what is the manager going to do, or be able to do? I don't think the store has security. Call the police on a person who had done nothing wrong? Go up to the person and say something? What could be said?" I was at a loss.

In the end I let it go, paid for my purchases and left. But I didn't like that I did nothing. I would not have forgiven myself if the person did shoot up the store
What would you have done? Seriously. Because I don't know if there is an easy answer when in this situation.
I was on a train from Grand Central to White Plains and there was a person on there dressed as Darth Vader. I kept an eye on him, but he didn’t do anything.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I believe a carry permit comes with a minimum flannel % requirement. Kind of like hunter orange. Flannel could be substituted with a trucker or cowboy hat.

Anyone not wearing the required uniform does not hold a valid CCW permit and should therefore be treated as suspect.
Yeah, I mean flannel and/or a cowboy hat are sure signs of patriotism and no intent to do harm with a firearm. That's in the Constitution, right?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
I occasionally see a local who is developmentally challenged and wears a suit of those furry animal hoody pajamas. Creepy and pathetic, yes, dangerous, no. I've seen punk kids wearing black trench coats right after Columbine. They wanted attention and to illicit hostility but would run away crying the second it happened. The best advice is to ignore people like that. Now I do sometimes see some dink walking around with a handgun in a holster. Dink is the word, unless they have really dorky plain clothes cops these days. That raises my eyebrows but its legal to carry that way if not particularly smart.
If I'm in a store and I see someone with a backpack I think " shoplifter" and if they have a hoody on I think " loser."
The person was probably some weirdo with bad fashion sense. You need to focus more on behavior and what they're doing than on appearance.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I occasionally see a local who is developmentally challenged and wears a suit of those furry animal hoody pajamas. Creepy and pathetic, yes, dangerous, no. I've seen punk kids wearing black trench coats right after Columbine. They wanted attention and to illicit hostility but would run away crying the second it happened. The best advice is to ignore people like that. Now I do sometimes see some dink walking around with a handgun in a holster. Dink is the word, unless they have really dorky plain clothes cops these days. That raises my eyebrows but its legal to carry that way if not particularly smart.
If I'm in a store and I see someone with a backpack I think " shoplifter" and if they have a hoody on I think " loser."
The person was probably some weirdo with bad fashion sense. You need to focus more on behavior and what they're doing than on appearance.
Dang. I think "bike rider". Sorry, I guess I shouldn't stop for an apple on my way to work.

Added: My husband wears a backpack to work to but he takes the bus. So I guess backpack = normal person going about their day.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I wouldn't have noticed at all.

Our first lady seemed to think she needed a coat in almost 100 degree weather when she visited Texas and everybody keeps telling me that wasn't weird at all.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Based just on someone wearing black, I would have done nothing.

But I have another "what would you do?" example. Flying on a plane recently, the woman next to me did not put her cell phone in airplane mode when requested. In fact, she continued having a conversation on her phone as the plane taxied down the runway. I might add, she was wearing Islamic headgear and speaking a foreign language. It irritates me when people don't follow the rules, but perhaps she didn't know the rules. Should I have said something? Would it be seen as profiling because of her apparent religion / nationality?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
When I was in art school, I dyed my hair jet black, wore nothing but black clothing- head to toe- even in summer. Black lipstick and pale skin... was trying to be "unique" like everyone else. A lot of young artsy people express "angst" with the color black. Of course, this was back in the late 80s and it was a different world then.

If I had been in the store and seen this person you described, I'd probably chalk it up to "artsy-goth-person." If the person had been acting cagey and my gut told me they were dangerous, then I'd have alerted someone. But if they were simply looking at puzzles, I'd leave them to their business of puzzle-shopping. We all make choices based on our own life experiences, so there's nothing really wrong with being taken aback by this out- of- the- ordinary look. I can see how it might cause a person to be nervous.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Nothing, lots of weird people out there.........99.9% are a threat to nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies