Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Yep, sure did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
The market is near all the highs and if you ask me, way overvalued. It's hard for me to want to invest in anything broad market here. I've basically taken the summer off and am enjoying myself outdoors.

https://www.gurufocus.com/stock-market-valuations.php

At some point there's going to be an economic slowdown that will take everyone by surprise, and all the debt fueled stock buybacks will come to a halt, earnings will fall, and the DOW will be back down under 15,000 and nasdaq under 5,000. People think this time it's different... live long enough and you see everything goes in cycles and the more things change, the more they stay the same. Long term I would be in cash here at least until the DOW is under 20,000, because it WILL be again some time in the next 5 years, regardless of who's in office. The market is dead money for buy and hold types for the next 5-10 years. Market timers and swing traders could make a killing, though.

I have a few growth stocks I believe in, the most exciting one being EXPI which is on sale right now. I continue to hold these but not much when it comes to index funds or anything. I have oil trusts like PBT and CRT and I've rotated into, along with municipal bonds in my taxable accounts.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-12-2018 at 01:11 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 02:12 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
its interesting the OP chose to create a new thread for his fear mongering instead of posting in this long established one:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...onomy-dow.html

Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
its interesting the OP chose to create a new thread for his fear mongering instead of posting in this long established one:
It’s time to have a thread on this specific question. My investments were doing quite well before the tariffs. Stagnant since. The blame is entirely on Trump.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
The title of that thread is a lie. Trump is not the "absolutely greatest on the economy."

Trump's administration inherited the longest run of job and economic growth in recent history. It appears to be grinding to a halt.

Despite his claims that the payday tax scam would goose GDP growth, quarter after quarter that has remained about the same as the average for the last number of years.

Dow Jones hit a high six months ago, likely due to corporations using their tax cut windfall to buy back stock and pay dividends. Then dropped and has been stagnant ever since.

Companies have started to announce moving part of their manufacturing to other countries -- Harley Davidson, Tesla, BMW, ...

It would be great to have a sticky thread for economic news and discussion. But let's have one where the title isn't a lie.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:58 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Cool, except the Dow is not the Economy. It is an indicator of how the wealthy are doing, but has nothing to do with working people who are not invested.

The economy is only strong when there are people with money willing to spend it. The more it moves, the better the economy gets. When it stops moving in offshore bank accounts of the 1%, it does nothing for anyone who doesn't know the account number and password.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, sure did.
His policies and tariffs just may have killed the massive run up but is the right thing to do to make other nations treat our workers more fairly....so American worker trumps investors for Trump.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
If there were ever a time to negotiate trade, and that means taking some bruises, it’s now. Hang in there slugger.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
His policies and tariffs just may have killed the massive run up but is the right thing to do to make other nations treat our workers more fairly....so American worker trumps investors for Trump.
He should be helping both. "Other nations" do not treat our workers unfairly, US employers do. But the GOP is also anti-union so gimme a break please.

And we have to remember Trump is a real estate guy, he doesn't have the sophistication or interest in the full range of asset classes and certainly not in their security.

Highly charitable bankruptcies are not what average Americans want to do. And average Americans do invest in the stock market (if mostly thru 401ks) so his recklessness on everything he touches does not bode well for the saving middle class.

Ah the days when Republicans used to say uncertainty was the bane of the stock market. Of course they also used to be for small government, careful spending and bringing down the massive national debt.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
He should be helping both. "Other nations" do not treat our workers unfairly, US employers do. But the GOP is also anti-union so gimme a break please.

And we have to remember Trump is a real estate guy, he doesn't have the sophistication or interest in the full range of asset classes and certainly not in their security.

Highly charitable bankruptcies are not what average Americans want to do. And average Americans do invest in the stock market (if mostly thru 401ks) so his recklessness on everything he touches does not bode well for the saving middle class.

Ah the days when Republicans used to say uncertainty was the bane of the stock market. Of course they also used to be for small government, careful spending and bringing down the massive national debt.
The stock market was around 18K when Trump was elected and is now just under 25K so Trump has been fine for the market and now he's trying to deliver on jobs which fair trade will allow. Other nations have unfair trade practices which do result in treating our workers unfairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies