Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should smoking be allowed in public housing?
Yes, smoking should be banned in public housing 105 74.47%
No, smoking should be allowed in public housing 28 19.86%
Undecided 8 5.67%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:14 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not a smoker, can't stand the smell of it but I also do not like the idea of the government trying to control everything we do. I have little sympathy for many living in public housing. I know many have no choice, but many could get off their asses and go to work or improve their education. I am sick of supporting these losers but I do not think we have the right to take away their right to ruin their lives. I wonder how many of these in favor of the government running our lives were ever smokers and if they remember how hard it was or is to quit?
I am a reformed smoker. I quit for good about 25 years ago. I still remember how difficult it was to quit. I don't agree with big government interfering with our lives but these people are not being told they cant smoke, just not in the housing. Its not like they are being singled out and punished. Most rentals don't allow smoking and I believe this smoking ban is for the same reasons all landlords prohibit smoking. I do not allow anyone to smoke in my home either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its quite apparent that not all of our citizens can hold a job with sufficient wages to pay the going rental prices, utilities and food, etc. Some are elderly, some physically or mentally handicapped. Others just don't have what it takes to earn a decent wage.

I don't see anything wrong with helping those in need.
How do you separate out and disqualify the ones that are poor because of their poor choices? For example not acquiring a useful education or skill so as to be able to support themselves, those who abuse drugs or alcohol, those who ate themselves into obesity and poor health, those who had children they couldn't afford etc.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just to opint out the obvious, the rule applies to visitors as well as tenants. Not to mention to cigarettes that were given to tenants as well.
The guests can wait until they leave the premises. The recipients of free cigarettes can smoke them at their friend's home, the one who gave them the cigarettes.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Right because that $100/month makes all the difference.
It doesn't make all the difference but it is an extra $100 that the smoker can pay towards rent rather than the taxpayers funding it.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Are they banning the crack smoked in them too?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 PM

30,159 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Are they banning the crack smoked in them too?

They can use all the illegal drugs they want just not cigarettes.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. I worked a temp job in 2015 and I was one of three non-smoker in the office. People would regularly smoke right outside the front door (it was amazing how much time people waste having to run out and smoke all the time) and naturally, all of the cigarette smoke would blow in whenever people would enter/exit the building. And then we had a good portion of co-workers who would "vape" (smoke e-ciggarettes) at their desks inside the office. You'd see people blowing smoke out to the left and right of you. Managers did not care and would do nothing about it since they smoked too. I definitely DO NOT miss that place!
Wonder how many of thoae e smokers were hitting meth out of the pipe right in fronr of everyone.
Thats a poorly kept secret. Allegedly they can put powdered meth right in the oil and it vanishes but smokes fine.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:06 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Wait ...doesn't the article say "public housing?" That means you don't own the house, doesn't it? You have to accept the rules set by the owner for occupancy.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I'm a smoker and do not allow smoking in my house nor do I allow it for tenants, even in single family rentals.
I'm surprised to find out that this hadn't already been done

Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i wouldn't like to be told that i couldn't smoke in my own house, although i'm not a smoker. but i would liken this to being told you couldn't smoke in a hotel - a free one, at that.

"I couldn't smoke in my own house"

Public housing belongs to the gov't, it is NOT "your" house.

Government's has banned smoking in a lot of places including privately owned business's. To allow smoking in houses they own is a double standard.

"Think of the kids", is what we hear from libs all the time. How about the 2nd hand smoke kids in these houses have to suffer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies