Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times

Advertisements

Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt.

Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt - Chicago Tribune

if we go this route than a lot of people on the left who have something against the American flag, our government, Trump supporters wearing their hats, white people and our history would be charged with a hate crime.

Why is it when there is a cause for the far left and they use hardball tactics, scream at people, harass them in public and confront people in public is not a hate crime and call it free speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Wow, that's great news.
Thought the prick would get off with a slap on the wrist, or a disorderly conduct charge.
As to how it was a hate crime; It's the perfect example of a hate crime.
Dude committed a crime, and it was due to his hate of an individual, over their country of birth.
It just so happens that the moron didn't realize he was hating America.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt.

Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt - Chicago Tribune

if we go this route than a lot of people on the left who have something against the American flag, our government, Trump supporters wearing their hats, white people and our history would be charged with a hate crime.

Why is it when there is a cause for the far left and they use hardball tactics, scream at people, harass them in public and confront people in public is not a hate crime and call it free speech?
You sound confused. You can attack someones political beliefs and it is not going to be a hate crime.

I do agree, however, that this racist nut job did not commit a hate crime. Total overreaction by prosecutors, likely because the video went viral. A true hate crime is not an angry rant, in my opinion, it should be something violent to meet that threshold, or even defacing their property with racist rhetoric. I don't know if all hate crimes are the same level of severity.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 PM

the FBI defines: A hate crime is a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias. For the purposes of collecting statistics, the FBI has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.

Hate alone is not a crime......a Black person can scream in public that he hates White people and that White people are the devil ( a little Farrakhan there) and that is not a crime.

Isn't this a slippery slope?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You sound confused. You can attack someones political beliefs and it is not going to be a hate crime.

I do agree, however, that this racist nut job did not commit a hate crime. Total overreaction by prosecutors, likely because the video went viral. A true hate crime is not an angry rant, in my opinion.

I think it's you that sound confused....it's how you attack someones political believes. If I tell you your political views are crap, ignorant, racist and I hate everything that you stand for and you should move out of the country that is not a crime. That's free speech.

If I make threats to you or your family, harass you in public, fire you from a job or destroy your property then that is a hate crime.

Hate itself is not a crime.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Hate crime’ should be done away with.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM

I always tell people that came to this country and bash our country and call us a racist nation in public that if you don't like it go back to your sh!thole country and leave.

I also tell them they shouldn't be waiving a foreign flag on our soil when protesting our government, I find that offensive.

under this law I might be charged with a hate crime if I scream this to the wrong group and I have the wrong color of skin...lol

Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I think it's you that sound confused....it's how you attack someones political believes. If I tell you your political views are crap, ignorant, racist and I hate everything that you stand for and you should move out of the country that is not a crime. That's free speech.

If I make threats to you or your family, harass you in public, fire you from a job or destroy your property then that is a hate crime.

Hate itself is not a crime.
Well, according to your definition, its a hate crime. They got it right I guess.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Wow, that's great news.
Thought the prick would get off with a slap on the wrist, or a disorderly conduct charge.
As to how it was a hate crime; It's the perfect example of a hate crime.
Dude committed a crime, and it was due to his hate of an individual, over their country of birth.
It just so happens that the moron didn't realize he was hating America.

Puerto Rico is now a country?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Well, according to your definition, its a hate crime. They got it right I guess.

I never heard the old man say that he would kill her if she wears the shirt or he will kill her if she doesn't get out of the U.S. ....that is a physical threat and that is against the law.

on a note: I'm only judging it by the 5-minute cell video that I watched. I haven't seen the police report or the history of this man which will come up in trial/ if it comes to that....they probably going to plea it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies