Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:18 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with D.L. Hughley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9uYg0K2-B8

Last edited by tillman7; 07-14-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I don't agree. Any shooting by police is going to be exhaustively investigated. If the police are shooting in self-defense, they will be exonerated like any other citizen. If not, they will be normally be charged like any other citizen.

To the extent that they are not held accountable, it is primarily due to public sector unionism, and the very weak disciplinary procedures that result therefrom. We can all hope that this will gradually change with the recent SCOTUS Janus decision, which was an earthquake blow to public sector unionism.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't agree. Any shooting by police is going to be exhaustively investigated. If the police are shooting in self-defense, they will be exonerated like any other citizen. If not, they will be normally be charged like any other citizen.

To the extent that they are not held accountable, it is primarily due to public sector unionism, and the very weak disciplinary procedures that result therefrom. We can all hope that this will gradually change with the recent SCOTUS Janus decision, which was an earthquake blow to public sector unionism.
Your first paragraph is bunk. After Philando Castile and Alton Sterling got capped, I no longer trust any investigation into police shootings nor do I trust juries to rectify bogus shootings.

And your second paragraph is intellectually dishonest. Republicans cry about public sector unions, but ALWAYS exempt the cop’s unions. Always.

And you know why.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I actually agree with him and I think he is a very down to earth, intelligent person.

"The most dangerous place black people live is in white people's mind" This statement is sad but I think there is some truth to that statement. I don't think the most dangerous place is in white people's minds, I think it is IN PEOPLE'S minds, period. I cannot tell you how many times I personally heard NON-white telling me how dangerous they think black men are.

We are who we are through experiences. My life has been saved by black men TWICE (long story). So When I see a black man, I feel safe. If I am in trouble, I'd run to a man, any man, white man, asian man, black man.. One of my brother's best friend is a black man who came from the south, he helped my brother starting his own bbq restaurant. I cannot say I know a lot of black men, but the five black men I am very close to share a lot in common: tall, handsome, military, and conservative (not necessarily Republican, but they are very conservative.) I also love my future brother-in-law, he is a real man, and he is also black.

All these said, i have no solutions. I hope I have an answer, but I don't. As a woman, I also found many black men to be attractive. I think ALL minorities should thank black community for fighting for equal rights. This is my honest feeling about the issue.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Your first paragraph is bunk. After Philando Castile and Alton Sterling got capped, I no longer trust any investigation into police shootings nor do I trust juries to rectify bogus shootings.

And your second paragraph is intellectually dishonest. Republicans cry about public sector unions, but ALWAYS exempt the cop’s unions. Always.

And you know why.

We've been over the Philando Castile shooting. He was high at the time. The cop was exonerated in true blue Minnesota. I am not familiar with the Alton Sterling case, but will look into it. The worst example I've seen was Amadou Diallo, shot 41 times by police in NYC because he was holding a wallet. So yeah it happens, but it is hardly par for the course.

YOUR second paragraph is intellectually ignorant. Public sector unions are public sector unions. Show me where any Republicans called for exempting police from Janus.

I've posted on this on CD. Sure some Republicans are police sycophants, but so are many Democrats. If you haven't noticed that, you're not paying attention.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ds-allies.html

Old 07-14-2018, 01:39 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

And you know why.
1. The officer that shot Philandro Castille was brought up on charges so not sure how that makes their statement bunk. The OTHER case took place in Baton Rouge where the MAJORITY population is black.
Not really sure why you picked those two anecdotes to try to refute claims that investigations occur and yes juries are often full of idiots, we can agree there.

2. The vast majority of police unions are in areas where the republicans have as much political power as a toddler. While the repubs are definitely pro-cop, they don't have any power over those unions. Hell, in Chicago you can put 15 rounds into an unarmed black kid and the mayor and his crew will help you cover it up....get caught doing so....and STILL win re-election. But...but....but....Republicans.

Not putting forth the Republicans as some sort of alternative but rather that someone has been pizzing down your back and telling you it's rain....and if it smells like pizz then that's because um.......the republicans.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:41 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
We've been over the Philando Castile shooting. He was high at the time. The cop was exonerated in true blue Minnesota. I am not familiar with the Alton Sterling case, but will look into it. The worst example I've seen was Amadou Diallo, shot 41 times by police in NYC because he was holding a wallet. So yeah it happens, but it is hardly par for the course.

YOUR second paragraph is intellectually ignorant. Public sector unions are public sector unions. Show me where any Republicans called for exempting police from Janus.

I've posted on this on CD. Sure some Republicans are police sycophants, but so are many Democrats. If you haven't noticed that, you're not paying attention.
I think one of the problems is that Most police officers don’t live in the areas where they patrol - Since their involvement in the community that they police is limited, they often begin to resent the residents of the area who they perceive (correctly or incorrectly) as being hostile or disrespectful of them. Perhaps if more officers lived in the areas where they patrol, they might empathize more often with the residents who they encounter on a daily basis.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

Nonsense. Yanez’s attorney claimed that Castile was high. No one else has ever proven that.

And even if he was high, so what? Weed doesn’t make people aggressive. So don’t use the marijuana excuse.

A black man was murdered by a cop and the cop walked. Simple as that. This nonsense about “true blue Minnesota” is bunk. That has nothing to do with a jury verdict.

Yanez walked because people give cops the benefit of the doubt almost always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. The officer that shot Philandro Castille was brought up on charges so not sure how that makes their statement bunk. The OTHER case took place in Baton Rouge where the MAJORITY population is black.
Not really sure why you picked those two anecdotes to try to refute claims that investigations occur and yes juries are often full of idiots, we can agree there.

2. The vast majority of police unions are in areas where the republicans have as much political power as a toddler. While the repubs are definitely pro-cop, they don't have any power over those unions. Hell, in Chicago you can put 15 rounds into an unarmed black kid and the mayor and his crew will help you cover it up....get caught doing so....and STILL win re-election. But...but....but....Republicans.

Not putting forth the Republicans as some sort of alternative but rather that someone has been pizzing down your back and telling you it's rain....and if it smells like pizz then that's because um.......the republicans.
Both of you guys continue to be intellectually dishonest here. You think I’m the only one who notices that Republicans ALWAYS exempt police unions from the same scorn that they heap on teachers unions? Hell, a BAZILLION different pundits have noticed it. You guys must not be reading, or you’re being willfully ignorant about it.

https://tcf.org/content/commentary/d...ons/?session=1

Quote:
Meanwhile, some of the same pundits and politicians who skewer teachers unions protect and defend another type of controversial public-sector union: police unions. While Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s administration oversaw a massive reduction in union bargaining power that led to average pay reductions of 10 percent, it spared the State Patrol Union this lessening of power—in fact, the union proceeded to negotiate a 17-percent pay increase for its members. When the Michigan legislature pushed through its “right to work” laws, weakening public-sector unions, it notably provided an exemption for unionized police forces. In order to dismantle unions without going after the police, Iowa Republicans proposed a bill that would split unionized public-sector workers into two categories: public safety workers, and everyone else. The current governor of Illinois, Bruce Rauner, heartily criticized unions but proposed cutting a “special deal” to preserve police and firefighter pensions.
Please! Both of you.

What will you place against that?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:42 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think one of the problems is that Most police officers don’t live in the areas where they patrol - Since their involvement in the community that they police is limited, they often begin to resent the residents of the area who they perceive (correctly or incorrectly) as being hostile or disrespectful of them. Perhaps if more officers lived in the areas where they patrol, they might empathize more often with the residents who they encounter on a daily basis.
Thats not the problem, the problem is supervision. Chiefs dont care about the environment they patrol, so they dont make their patrol officers do it. The police can live in the town, but if they arent being trained to actually get to know and not see the citizens as "Us vs Them", living in the city does nothing.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:47 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:

And you know why.
Alton Sterling most definitely got himself shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies