Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times

Advertisements

The only free abortions should be for pregnancies that are a result of rape, incest or high risk.

All other pregnancies should be paid by the 2 adults or families of the teens.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Add my name to the list of women who have had an abortion with no lingering remorse, and I'm one of the few on-line who will admit to abortion performed at an advanced stage. (I've recounted the story in other places, but, in short, my pregnancy was initially diagnosed with profound fetal defect at a twenty-week ultrasound, and my abortion involved a protracted induced labor and delivery of an intact fetus.) I have only sadness at the loss. I have no regrets whatsoever. It wasn't easy -- it gutted me emotionally -- but I know I did the right thing.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:39 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
As a person who gave up a beautiful baby boy that I had no business attempting to raise at age seventeen, I can attest to the anguish and the guilt and the fear, in addition to the physical risks and pain associated with childbirth.

People toss the word “ adoption” around like it’s no big deal. It’s a gut-wrenching, ball-punching, heart breaking thing to go through.

It’s not up to OP or others to make that decision for someone else. Support solid sex education and access to birth control. Help others from having to make devastating decisions, like abortion, adoption or inadequate parenting.
Terrific post.

You made a heartbreaking decision. But it was your decision to make.

Every woman makes those decisions for herself. It's nobody else's business and definitely not the government's.

If we want to help, make sure all woman have access to dependable birth control. Colorado found that having long-term birth control readily available reduced unwanted pregnancies and abortions by over 40%.

Lesson to be learned there.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Add my name to the list of women who have had an abortion with no lingering remorse, and I'm one of the few on-line who will admit to abortion performed at an advanced stage. (I've recounted the story in other places, but, in short, my pregnancy was initially diagnosed with profound fetal defect at a twenty-week ultrasound, and my abortion involved a protracted induced labor and delivery of an intact fetus.) I have only sadness at the loss. I have no regrets whatsoever. It wasn't easy -- it gutted me emotionally -- but I know I did the right thing.

I've never known any woman who did not experience sorrow at such a loss. My heart goes out to you.

But you make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time.

Then you go on.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course there was. Again implicit in the law. Once the fetus is viable outside the womb it is a person. But before it is an "it". Has the same status as any other growth.
Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

It isn't an "it" to God.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The only free abortions should be for pregnancies that are a result of rape, incest or high risk.

All other pregnancies should be paid by the 2 adults or families of the teens.
Nobody ever wants to address this because if they acknowledged it, they'd be put in the position of having to do something about it. My abortion was covered by employer-sponsored insurance, meaning the premiums everyone paid into that plan funded my procedure. I have no respect for people who throw out the line "No abortions with my money," but won't take the time to look into their own health care plan. Why? Because opting out means either going without insurance completely or entering the open health care market, and that's bloody expensive. So much easier to just complain about their tax money, which they have to pay no matter what, than to put their precious wallets where their mouths are.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-15-2018 at 05:11 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Nobody ever wants to address this because if they acknowledged it, they'd be put in the position of having to do something about it. My abortion was covered by employer-sponsored insurance, meaning the premiums everyone paid into that plan funded my procedure. I have no respect for people who throw out the line "No abortions with my money," but won't take the time to look into their own health care plan. Why? Because opting out means either going without insurance completely or entering the open health care market, and that's bloody expensive. So much easier to just complain about their tax money, which they have to pay no matter what, than to put their precious wallets where their mouths are.
You have no respect for people who say "no abortions with my money" but respect the people who get free abortions??

Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You have no respect for people who say "no abortions with my money" but respect the people who get free abortions??
Do you know my story, Mr. Ryu?

Baby conceived through fertility treatment.

Twenty-week ultrasound.

Profound fetal defect.

Terminal condition.

It was the most wrenching decision of my life to end that pregnancy but one that was ultimately based in love and compassion. Not all pregnancies go as planned. Sometimes they go terribly wrong. That's why I participated in my company's comprehensive health care plan, which covered the termination of my pregnancy. Why on earth should I be disrespected for that?

It's easy for someone to say, "No abortions paid for with my taxes," because there's no real cost to the one saying it. You're going to pay those taxes anyway, so it's all hot air. Talk to me when you've withdrawn from your company-sponsored health plan and taken the huge hit to the wallet that it entails, that is, unless you're willing to go without insurance entirely. Most people will just look the other way.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Do you know my story, Mr. Ryu?

Baby conceived through fertility treatment.

Twenty-week ultrasound.

Profound fetal defect.

Terminal condition.

It was the most wrenching decision of my life to end that pregnancy but one that was ultimately based in love and compassion. Not all pregnancies go as planned. Sometimes they go terribly wrong. That's why I participated in my company's comprehensive health care plan, which covered the termination of my pregnancy. Why on earth should I be disrespected for that?

It's easy for someone to say, "No abortions paid for with my taxes," because there's no real cost to the one saying it. You're going to pay those taxes anyway, so it's all hot air. Talk to me when you've withdrawn from your company-sponsored health plan and taken the huge hit to the wallet that it entails, that is, unless you're willing to go without insurance entirely. Most people will just look the other way.
Go re-read my post. //www.city-data.com/forum/52501874-post171.html

I stated:

"The only free abortions should be for pregnancies that are a result of rape, incest or high risk.
All other pregnancies should be paid by the 2 adults or families of the teens."

Your pregnancy was high risk. It should have been for free and i would have no problems with that.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 07-15-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

It isn't an "it" to God.
Actually it is...my mother had a spontaneous abortion when I was 10 or eleven. Not yet a formed infant. She was a radical catholic at that point. Went round with her pastor on baptizing the result. Finally buried in the backyard without any ceremony. Probably one of the major reasons her view of Catholicism changed.

And the quote leaves much in doubt...and that is before you deal with the linguistic and semantic of the quote.

And those who quote these things have a special place in hell where they will spend eternity resolving the conflicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.