Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why do you keep making bad comparisons that have nothing to do with this scenario? It must be because you have no argument.

This wasn't a case of profiling and stopping someone for no reason.

Stop pretending that it was.
I've stated my positions on this case. Which of my positions do you disagree on? Go back and read.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
People digging in their heels on a good shoot because they don't like the criticism the protesters are getting.

Why try to make this into something it isn't when there are plenty of bad shoots to protest?

Oh well, if the cities own residents can't oust Rahm Emanuel after the Laquan McDonald cover-up it's readily apparent that their leadership is too comfortable getting their beak wet from the machine and aren't going to rock the boat too much.

Like the selling of indulgences for the forgiveness of sins, you just have to give Al a keynote speaker gig at the DNC convention or make sure someone's relatives are getting good city jobs or contracts or paid board of director seats.

Just don't rock the boat trying to help the people in the water with the sharks.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I've stated my positions on this case. Which of my positions do you disagree on? Go back and read.
You're dead wrong when you posted this:

Quote:
The mindset being displayed here is the exact mindset that has allowed so many of our rights be taken away. And what's created an even worse police state in this country. Americans won't uphold the law.

If a police officer has no reason to suspect someone is a drug dealer, but simply profiles them and pulls them over for no reason, and gets the biggest bust in history. He still didn't abide by the law. But according to C-D and the majority American population, this is perfectly acceptable. As long as they're getting "drug users and dealers" off of the streets.

The problem is, not everyone is a thug. The cops get the wrong people sometimes. THIS is the issue. And on top of that, this heavy handed policing is NOT working. I think we can all admit that.

I've indicted the cops more than most people here. See the thread on Philando Castille, for one example.

You then bring up a case of profiling and stopping someone for no reason.

That is not what happened in this case, therefore, it is irrelevant. What part of that do you not understand?

If the issue with you really IS that cops get it wrong sometimes - then start a thread on that. I will happily agree with you.

And guess what. Just because they get it wrong sometimes doesn't mean they got it wrong this time. They didn't. As much as I hate siding with cops - they did not get it wrong in this case.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I loathe cops. I think there's too much intrusion into our lives. But when stopped by a cop, I think it's really smart to comply.

Having said that -

They knew he had a gun when they stopped him. That's the reason they stopped him.
They knew he had a gun when they stopped him. That's the reason they stopped him.
They thought he had a gun, which is legal.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many say it's "not right" but when it comes to speaking up to change it, it becomes "not me".
Yep. I'm not here to change the world.

I'm gonna be honest with you pknopp... when I was younger, I used to make *exactly* the same arguments you're making in this thread. And I'm still no fan of the police state we live in.

But I've come to believe that it's futile... for a variety of reasons. Fact is that vast swaths of the public will support the police no matter what they do. America has a highly authoritarian culture, and that won't change in our lifetime. And we're not unique here at all- look back over history at any time, any place- and you'll find that by and large *might makes right* among humans.

I get that tilting at windmills is great fun. But please don't act on these idealist notions of yours. Few get lucky like Bundy & clan. When an the enforcer of the police state screams orders at you under threat of death, you're gonna comply or you're gonna die.

Maybe it ain't 'right', but it *is* a fact.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yep. I'm not here to change the world.

I'm gonna be honest with you pknopp... when I was younger, I used to make *exactly* the same arguments you're making in this thread. And I'm still no fan of the police state we live in.
But you are not willing to speak up.

Quote:
But I've come to believe that it's futile... for a variety of reasons. Fact is that vast swaths of the public will support the police no matter what they do. America has a highly authoritarian culture, and that won't change in our lifetime. And we're not unique here at all- look back over history at any time, any place- and you'll find that by and large *might makes right* among humans.

I get that tilting at windmills is great fun. But please don't act on these idealist notions of yours. Few get lucky like Bundy & clan. When an the enforcer of the police state screams orders at you under threat of death, you're gonna comply or you're gonna die.

Maybe it ain't 'right', but it *is* a fact.
You are wrong. Positive changes have been made. The increase use of body cameras are a positive thing. Police officers are at least sometimes being held accountable.

The large scale corruption of the Baltimore police force has been exposed. All of this at least in part is because of the protests.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
legal where?
Chicago has some of the most strict gun control laws in the country .

Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
legal where?
Chicago has some of the most strict gun control laws in the country .
In Chicago.

Chicago Guns Matter - Concealed Carry License Q & A

Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
But you are not willing to speak up.
Hey, if you feel the need to rage against a tide of a few hundred million authoritarian americans... knock yourself out. Everybody needs a hobby Don't fool yourself that you're changing anything though.

Hell just look at how these discussions always go. Most Amreicans reflexively side with the police regardless of any facts at hand. And even among those who don't, 99% only want to discuss this as a racial issue... because that's what hits'em in the feels or something. Only a fraction of a percent of the general public understand the fundamental problem here... which is that police have nearly unlimited power over any individual of their choosing, and they're only held accountable for the most egregious, most public, and most well-documented violations. Nope... 99.5% of Americans either lick the police boots or cry racism. Now that's not to say that racism isn't a problem... just that it's not the *root* of the problem. The root of the problem is that police have the power to harass, assault, or murder pretty much anybody they want to.

Public action, internet rants, etc. accomplish jack ****. But the fact is that there's *a lot* that you as an individual can do to insulate yourself and your family from our police state. Live in a safe area. Look like a respectable white guy. Have a nice career with enough money to buy justice (aka a lawyer) if necessary. Pay your taxes and don't do illegal ****... or at least keep it minimal and well hidden. Understand that if the police scream commands at you, you *will* comply... because that's the kind of world we live in. If you know where the police are... take a different route. You wouldn't deliberately walk past a rattlesnake would you? When you could just walk around?

Now, anybody can be struck by lightening... but these are real steps you can take to make your odds of being violently assaulted or murdered by the police reasonably low. Far more effective than some idealistic delusion that you have 'rights' and that they actually mean what they say. Do you still believe in Santa??

Quote:
You are wrong. Positive changes have been made. The increase use of body cameras are a positive thing. Police officers are at least sometimes being held accountable.

The large scale corruption of the Baltimore police force has been exposed. All of this at least in part is because of the protests.
That's cool- I'm always happy to see our criminals in blue exposed. But nothing has fundamentally changed. Nor will it in our lifetimes. Any cop you come across could shoot you on site, and odds are he will face few if any consequences regardless of any other facts.

And do you really believe the Chicongo PD would've released that video if they didn't think it exonerated them? Please.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
And they were fully in their rights to ask for the carry permit. You knew that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies