Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

After reviewing the video again, I noticed that the officer, other than the woman in the forefront, goes for the man. It doesn't look like just the woman going first, it looks like both officers are going after the man's arms. You can see the officer initially talking to him calm and radioing in. It could've been a coordinated attack, not just the initial female officer.

The guy takes off by shaking his hands lose, he runs into the street nearly hitting another police cruiser arriving on the scene. He puts his hand near his waistband/gun area, and you can't see whether or not he unholsters it from there. He could've been shot already at that point. There's no sound and the way his body contorted you can't tell. There's no sound.

So from my perspective.

The initial issue is whether they can reasonably arrest the guy for whatever he's being questioned for. As in within the law. It looked like a coordinated effort to arrest him at the time when the 2 additional officers arrived, so that would mean they would have reason for arrest.

The issue after that is atwhat point was he shot? There's no sound. Was it as soon as he reached down and his body just contorted? Did he actually get to his gun? Did he pull his gun out of the holster? You can't tell because of the color of his shirt and the fact that there's no sound. Those details could make a big difference.

I'd like to hear it all with sound.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do you think these type of incidences are making Chicago safer? Do you not think there are CPD that work for the very "criminals" you claim to be saving the residents from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Deflection.

He was carrying. The police have every right to ask for the carry permit if they suspect someone is carrying.

End of story.
Those were my questions from earlier.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
They released it with no audio... because if there was audio, you'd hear the police shoot before his hand went for the gun.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i did not see him going for his gun, I saw him put his hand on it too keep it in place. i feel you should have to pull and point to aim before a cop can shoot

im saying the cop killed the dude because they was scared, I think cops need to be un-armed because they have proved to be irresponsible with guns

I think they teach cops not to second guess situations like that. If he is putting his hands on the gun, how much longer until it's ok for you that they shoot him? Just wait and see if he actually is pulling the trigger.

I think it's easy to criticize the police in times like this. What if you were the police officer in this situation. What would you have done?

Old 07-17-2018, 03:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think they teach cops not to second guess situations like that. If he is putting his hands on the gun, how much longer until it's ok for you that they shoot him? Just wait and see if he actually is pulling the trigger.

I think it's easy to criticize the police in times like this. What if you were the police officer in this situation. What would you have done?
Not bothered him to start with.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i did not see him going for his gun, I saw him put his hand on it too keep it in place. i feel you should have to pull and point to aim before a cop can shoot

im saying the cop killed the dude because they was scared, I think cops need to be un-armed because they have proved to be irresponsible with guns
He pulled the gun, and aimed it at the police. I provided screen shots of that earlier in this thread. Go look at them.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Those were my questions from earlier.
Look, don't excuse the suspect for this shooting. There is no reason for that.

Go find, and there are LOTS of incidents around (Castile as example), where the police are clearly wrong. Trying to defend the suspect when he is wrong does nothing for the real fight that needs to be fought, and that is when unjustified police shootings happen, and they happen, and they happen way too often.

But this is not one of those, and clouding the issue by trying to justify the suspects actions or innocence doesn't do the cause any help.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:54 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
He pulled the gun, and aimed it at the police. I provided screen shots of that earlier in this thread. Go look at them.
The person you are responding to wants the police officer to wait until the suspect's gun is pointed at him before responding. LOL. Apparently he has watched "The Matrix" a few too many times.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

How much longer? Until he actually pulls it and points it. If you have your aim right he won't have a chance.

I stated what I would have done. Either took cover or took up pursuit. For the perp to shoot me they'd have to turn their entire body. Unless they blindly took me with a stray. All I'd have to do is light them up from the back. I honestly don't think this man was trying to shoot the police. He panicked and was scared.

Funny how only police can be scared.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
As I mentioned, IMO the cop who was dealing with him originally called for backup. I think there was already a problem in progress. But he was shot because he was going for his weapon, no question about that.
According to two sources, he failed to follow commands.

The ironic part of all of this is that the Police Chief marched with the protestors and as a result of the protest calling for an end to violence, the city sent out a foot patrol to the 3rd District. When they saw someone with a gun, they did what any cop would do, stop to ask if he's licensed, etc. How ELSE are they going to clean up the community?

He's not cooperating, starts to leave, reaches for his gun, gets shot, and now they're protesting that.

I hate cops, but even I can see they're in a no-win situation here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies