Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,460,508 times

Advertisements

In an interview with Piers Morgan, Trump regaled us with:

‘We would make a great deal with the United Kingdom because they have product that we like. I mean they have a lot of great product. They make phenomenal things, you know, and you have different names - you can say “England”, you can say “UK”, you can say “United Kingdom” so many different - you know you have, you have so many different names - Great Britain. I always say: “Which one do you prefer? Great Britain? You understand what I’m saying?’

‘You know Great Britain and the United Kingdom aren’t exactly the same thing?’

‘Right, yeah. You know I know, but a lot of people don’t know that. But you have lots of different names. The fact is you make great product, you make great things. Even your farm product is so fantastic."

For those who don't know:
England is country on the island of Great Britain.
Scotland and Wales are two other counties on the island of Great Britain.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a sovereign state comprised of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
It is often abbreviated as the United Kingdom or as The U.K.

It can get confusing for Trump and the White House who tweeted (then deleted) "Today, @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS had tea with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle before departing the U.K."
Trump departed for Scotland, which is part of the U.K.

Trump doesn't name these great products that Americans will buy but they include Land Rovers, Minis, Jaguars, machinery, pharmaceuticals, oil, and Marmite.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
He is not the brightest crayon in the box. It is really sad for the President to be so clueless.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
You had me all the way until Marmite.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:44 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
I was waiting for someone to post that tiny bit of his far ranging interview with Piers, which I posted separately in another thread. If I can find a video of it online I will add it later. You need to see and hear him sometimes to get the context. The Loonies always look for 'gotcha' moments because that's all they've got, poor things. I wouldn't hang my hat on Trump getting impeached over it, darlin'.

As someone who has traveled to the UK many times, has many friends there (who've said I've seen more of the country than they have), and who nearly moved there legally years ago, I still get confused sometimes! It's merely a point of amusement for American and Brit expats in each other's countries as we question the differences in our language, history and cultures.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:57 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
That's the second time this weekend he babbled about all the different names for England, jeez. And then he included Ireland in the U.K.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
Our president is an idiot. Sad but true.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
It can be confusing, but this is a man who loves to talk about his mother being born in Scotland, so you would think that somewhere along the line, he'd have learned the difference. He just rambles on nonsensically at times. Oh, who am I kidding? It's pretty much all the time! Somebody in that administration needs to sit him down and remind him that it's infinitely better for him to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to open his mouth and prove it.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Somebody in that administration needs to sit him down and remind him that it's infinitely better for him to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to open his mouth and prove it.
BTW, here's that quote in full:

"'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Ironic isn't it...attributed to a somewhat more enlightened POTUS.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It can be confusing, but this is a man who loves to talk about his mother being born in Scotland, so you would think that somewhere along the line, he'd have learned the difference. He just rambles on nonsensically at times. Oh, who am I kidding? It's pretty much all the time! Somebody in that administration needs to sit him down and remind him that it's infinitely better for him to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to open his mouth and prove it.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:46 PM

16,556 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's the second time this weekend he babbled about all the different names for England, jeez. And then he included Ireland in the U.K.
As you know, or should know, part of Ireland is in the UK.
Whether they should be or not is certainly up for debate.

However, don't let that be the cause for you and other people suffering from TDS to not incorrectly bash Trump.

BTW - while you are at it, please list the some of the many gaffs (although what Trump said might not be a gaff) Obama said during his 8 years in office.
I am sure it is not partisan, just you being up a potential mistake by any president, whether they have an (R) or a (D) by their name.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies