Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

I find this fascinating and it is one of the reasons why I voted for Trump.

Why is it bad to sit down with a world leader of an enemy or potential enemy to discuss ways to improve the relationship, situation or at the very least not let things lead to war?

We teach children to have dialogue with people who disagree with you or have problems with to see where is common ground, if anything can be done to at least peacefully coexist if nothing else.

When it comes to foreign diplomacy, Democrats are like, "NO, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER SPEAK WITH AN ENEMY OR POTENTIAL ENEMY, JUST IGNORE IT AND ESCALATE RHETORIC UNTIL IT BOILS INTO A WAR!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
It works both ways. Republicans were dead set against Obama talking with Cuba.

and...

Conservatives hated it when Obama said he’d meet with North Korea. Guess what they say now

"National Review’s Jim Geraghty wondered the same. “Remember how much we condemned then-senator Barack Obama’s pledge to ‘meet separately, without precondition, during the first year of your administration, in Washington or anywhere else, with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea, in order to bridge the gap that divides our countries?’ That wasn’t wrong,” Geraghty wrote.

The issue now is that Trump is a fool who rushes in completely unprepared on the issues and without goals except getting a photo op.,, and then claims victories that never happened. He got completely played by Kim. (no nuke agreement, no remains returned.... Both of which Trump claims happened.)

Last edited by katzpaw; 07-15-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I find this fascinating and it is one of the reasons why I voted for Trump.

Why is it bad to sit down with a world leader of an enemy or potential enemy to discuss ways to improve the relationship, situation or at the very least not let things lead to war?

We teach children to have dialogue with people who disagree with you or have problems with to see where is common ground, if anything can be done to at least peacefully coexist if nothing else.

When it comes to foreign diplomacy, Democrats are like, "NO, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER SPEAK WITH AN ENEMY OR POTENTIAL ENEMY, JUST IGNORE IT AND ESCALATE RHETORIC UNTIL IT BOILS INTO A WAR!"
That is completely false. In this particular case, people are right to be worried about what Trump may grant to Putin. Putin is smarter than Trump and knows that Trump is easily swayed by flattery.

Trump has not prepared for this meeting; he has spent the week-end golfing. In his mind (and words); he has prepared 'his whole life' for this.

That he insists on an hour alone with Putin - should alarm us all. Why the need for that? Trump is simply not qualified to spend time alone with Putin. He already gave NK everything they wanted and we got NOTHING.

If an experienced foreign policy expert were in that meeting - I would feel MUCH better. It's actually bizarre.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He already gave NK everything they wanted and we got NOTHING.

We got 3 American hostages back and we didn't have to drop a $4 billion cash ransom like Obama did in Iran.

And we gave NK everything they wanted? Are we still in South Korea? Are we still in Japan? It's people like you who add validity to #fakenews

What did we give? We spoke to them, that is exactly my point, if you and me have beef, you don't say, "Ok I will only talk to you if you pay me $1,000 and give me the keys to your car" Out of good faith, NK gave us 3 Americans who were prisoners there! NK shouldn't have to do anything to speak to us. We shouldn't have to do anything to speak to them. Likewise with Russia. It's called DIALOGUE!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
We got 3 American hostages back and we didn't have to drop a $4 billion cash ransom like Obama did in Iran.
Under Obama, North Korea released 10 American prisoners. Clinton and Carter also secured the release of NK prisoners.. Trump has some catching up to do.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Under Obama, North Korea released 10 American prisoners. Clinton and Carter also secured the release of NK prisoners.. Trump has some catching up to do.

Nice diversion, Obama's deal with Iran... hundreds of billions plus a $4 bill cash drop off, OMG AMAZING DEAL, YES YES YES! -hypocrites

Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
Nice diversion, Obama's deal with Iran... hundreds of billions plus a $4 bill cash drop off, OMG AMAZING DEAL, YES YES YES! -hypocrites
How is it a diversion when I am replying directly to the first point in your post?
Obama didn't pay for the 10 North Korean prisoner's' release.
The $4 billion top Iran was part of the no-nuke deal, and was their money that had been frozen by sanctions, It wasn't a gift or money or of pocket. It was their money being returned.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:48 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

That's a good example of right wing fake news. There was no ransom, and it was $1.3 Billion. In the 1970's Iran had a contract with the U.S. to buy fighter jets. Iran paid us the $400 mil; the hostage situation happened and we never delivered the jets.

The $1.3 bil is a refund of the $400 mil, adjusted for inflation. Not ransom. We settled a debt.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Collusion and dialog are two different things.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How is it a diversion when I am replying directly to the first point in your post?
Obama didn't pay for the 10 North Korean prisoner's' release.
The $4 billion top Iran was part of the no-nuke deal, and was their money that had been frozen by sanctions, It wasn't a gift or money or of pocket. It was their money being returned.
This should be stickied. People keep forgetting that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies