Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We already had separate societies back in the old days. It was called Jim Crow. It was called racial discrimination. It was called denial of rights.

And several cities like St. Louis, Memphis, and Philadelphia had slums, crime, and all kinds of problems. I don't blame liberals for that. This has been a problem long before liberals. Several cities had conditions not unlike that which is read about in Charles Dickens' novels. Thugs were rampant in the inner cities long before liberals had much to do with it. This has been a problems even since America existed. Wherever there have been cities, slums and crime have followed.
Do you see any other outcome? Look through history. Humans will protect themselves and they will revolt against any government that prevents them from doing so.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I can't stand thieves. Besides murders and rapists, they are one of the biggest terrors to society.

I mean, think about it this way... You have to install locks and anti-theft devices on literally everything that has contact with the public to keep thieves away.

When a thief steals from another person, they don't even care if that person had to save up for a year to buy that item, if they need it to do their job, if they need it to take care of their kids, or if it has sentimental value.

Worst of all, there are almost no repercussions for theft. The police usually don't do anything if your phone is stolen, even if you know the location.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I can't stand thieves. Besides murders and rapists, they are one of the biggest terrors to society.

I mean, think about it this way... You have to install locks and anti-theft devices on literally everything that has contact with the public to keep thieves away.

When a thief steals from another person, they don't even care if that person had to save up for a year to buy that item, if they need it to do their job, if they need it to take care of their kids, or if it has sentimental value.

Worst of all, there are almost no repercussions for theft. The police usually don't do anything if your phone is stolen, even if you know the location.
And that’s why their hands should be cut off to eradicate theft

Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
And that’s why their hands should be cut off to eradicate theft
I would be will to bet that B&E would stop almost over night mugging, etc as well.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Still, deaths from terrorism in China are orders of magnitude fewer in number than deaths from random street violence in the U.S.
I would be quite worried about terrorism. Nothing to play with.

Quote:
This could be. I just don't know enough about the culture or their mentality to see how big of an influence it is. It's certainly a big influence that the Government and police have such a tight control of everything that's no tolerance for crime. There's no doubt about this being an influence. As far as the cultural aspect, I don't know how large of a contribution it makes.
Well this is what you need to know about. Confucianism is a big part of Chinese culture. Because of the strong obedience and deference to authority, this allows for stricter and tighter control over everything. There isn't much questioning of authority. It is rare.

Quote:
This is true. I've seen this both over there, and also among my Chinese friends and coworkers here.
In China, group has more importance over individual. This is quite different from America.

Quote:
This is also true.
Where people do not have any shame, most forms of punishment won't work. In both cases, committing a crime is a form of hurting society. In China, doing that will make you a pariah. In the USA, the average criminal already sees themselves as a pariah of society and has that "forget society" mentality.

Quote:
I view this as a mentality that's left over from the days of the Old West / Pioneer /Westward expansion.
I don't think so. You find this among Black gang members and racist skinhead gangs. I don't think this so much coming from the Old West, but from mentality of "society is the enemy". And by society, not just the government but the average working person.

Quote:
The only people that own guns in China are the old-time farmers that live in the mountains or the countryside. These are old guns that they inherited.
There is one exception. A gun can be obtained for the purpose of hunting, if a hunting permit is furnished.

Quote:
Interesting statistics. Definitely argues in favor of the cultural hypothesis as a main factor.
I've been pointing to culture. Culture is the big thing people need to look at. Look at Iceland. Plenty of guns in Iceland, but violent crime is rare. Most crimes are rare in general. In Iceland, parents generally don't spank their kids. You have a combination of liberal Nordic views and self-sufficiency/independence. There is a certain sense of community in Iceland.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you see any other outcome? Look through history. Humans will protect themselves and they will revolt against any government that prevents them from doing so.
Well, Jim Crow segregation was tried (or rather it was forced onto Black people). Look what that turned into. The only people hurt by it were Black people and that turned into alot of problems. The only people looking for separate societies are those who espouse bigoted and racially charged views. Many people do not want this. I do wonder if YOU want to have the old days back where things like Jim Crow were the law.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

I do not like thieves either. I was the victim of theives (or robbers rather). The thing is, it is accepted that we need locks and anti-theft devices.

I would not say there are no repercussions for thieves. Thieves do go to prison for what they do. If you're in a city that is soft on punishing theft, then I could understand where you're coming from. I just know that when I called the police on some thugs who jumped and robbed me, they got put in prison.

For the most part, thieves don't care about ANYONE. They will even steal from their own family members. The thief don't care if he/she goes to prison for it.

As for cutting off someone's hand though, I don't know. I think a black market for prosthetic arms could be built up. One man built a DIY prosthetic device (no, he wasn't a thief, he lost some fingers in an accident).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hand/13563683/

Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, Jim Crow segregation was tried (or rather it was forced onto Black people). Look what that turned into. The only people hurt by it were Black people and that turned into alot of problems. The only people looking for separate societies are those who espouse bigoted and racially charged views. Many people do not want this. I do wonder if YOU want to have the old days back where things like Jim Crow were the law.
Jim Crow discriminated against people just because of the color of their skin. The next segregation will be based on people's behavior. There are more and more people coming into adulthood who are ill prepared for being a part of a peaceful society. There were never disciplined or socialized properly.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Jim Crow discriminated against people just because of the color of their skin. The next segregation will be based on people's behavior. There are more and more people coming into adulthood who are ill prepared for being a part of a peaceful society. There were never disciplined or socialized properly.
Well, when you say separate societies, what else is there for me to think other than racial terms? Considering the history of such in this country, what else would I think?

And as long as there is freedom of movement, people, good or bad, will go wherever they want. You can't wall people off, unless you declare martial law.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,068,392 times
"I would love to give you a bowl of porridge but alas you have no hands. The pig sty is over there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies