Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Yesterday after the Trump Putin news conference I was curious what the 24 hour news channels were saying about it. I tuned into Fox News right when Tucker Carlson was starting his monologue. He went into the uproar over Trump's comments and blamed at least part of it on the liberal MSM making it into more than it really was.

So his lead guest Stephen Cohen was touted a leading expert on Russia and a professor at NYU in Russian Studies (the man is 80 years old and actually retired) but anyways. He was brought in to claim Putin is not really that bad and Trump was right in what he said in the news conference.

So I googled Stephen Cohen:

Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
How Stephen F. Cohen became the most controversial Russia expert in America
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Is...Putin-s/241777

Meet Vladimir Putin's American Apologist
https://newrepublic.com/article/1168...erican-leftist

Putin’s Pal
Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin. The Nation just published his most outrageous one yet.
Stephen Cohen, Vladimir Putin’s apologist: The Nation just published the most outrageous defense of the Russian president.

Then I googled Stephen Cohen and RT and got this:

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/420803-cohe...ington-moscow/

He is on RT quite a bit. RT is Russia Today and funded by the Russian government for pro Russia propaganda.

https://www.rt.com/usa/411333-americ...ohen-politics/

So what is going on here? They put someone on that is Putin's biggest fan in America (maybe 2nd to Trump) discredited by almost all experts on Russia because all he does is put out Putin's propaganda all of which you can find out in a one minute google search yet none of this was disclosed.

I thought all the stuff about the secret tape Putin has was ridiculous. Now I am starting to change my tune. And this blatant pro Putin disinformation is put out on Fox News as a unbiased expert on the subject anything is possible.

The interview is on youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Fox News is about feeding propaganda. If they thought it met their political goals, they would have Someone whose family was murdered by Putin come on. Its not about the truth for them. Its about the spin.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fox News is about feeding propaganda. If they thought it met their political goals, they would have Someone whose family was murdered by Putin come on. Its not about the truth for them. Its about the spin.

Its more than spin. Its bringing on someone and claiming they are an unbiased professor who is an expert on Russia when in reality he is most likely on the Putin payroll. If you are going to put on someone working for the Russian government on the air at least say so.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Very good analysis.

If they have a position they need to spin fast, they go to the index and look for someone who can do it for them, and they pay pretty well. They do this staging like the Jerry Springer show does, for a predictable outcome ...

They 'spoon feed' the party line to the audience.

Now that Trump has 'reversed' himself (at least for now) they look pretty bad.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,260 times
Hannity can go down in history as the media outlet for the Trump Administration s treason against its citizens.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Interesting, good job on the research, I learned something on the forum today.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
You may wish to stick to one collusion conspiracy theory at a time. You haven't proven your first one yet, after two years.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Don't be fooled by the word "News" in their name. What they broadcast doesn't even resemble news. They are a 24 hour propaganda station for the right.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
You may wish to stick to one collusion conspiracy theory at a time. You haven't proven your first one yet, after two years.
I am not trying to prove anything. Just pointing out some facts. I am not out to get Trump I have always hoped he would succeed.

I really don't think the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. At least not the way the left sees it. They had and or tried to have meetings with Russians that they should have stayed a mile away from. The Russians like almost everyone else assumed Hillary would win.

However the whole Trump / Putin dynamic is very troublesome. Even today when he walked back his previous statement. Very odd/ And you have Trump supporters who believe Putin before our intelligence agencies. Then you have Tucker Carlson bringing in his lead guest right after the news conference who at the very least is a far left wing communist Putin loyalist who openly mourned the end of the Soviet Union and has spent the past decade doing non stop pro putin propaganda as a fair and balance expert on Russia when that is a total lie and he is most likely being paid by Russia to do what he does. Why lie and mislead your viewers?

So either Fox News does not vet their guests at all or they knew exactly what they were doing.

Something smells really bad here.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-17-2018 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not trying to prove anything. Just pointing out some facts. I am not out to get Trump I have always hoped he would succeed.

I really don't think the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. At least not the way the left sees it. They had and or tried to have meetings with Russians that they should have stayed a mile away from. The Russians like almost everyone else assumed Hillary would win.

However the whole Trump / Putin dynamic is very troublesome. Even today when he walked back his previous statement. Very odd/ And you have Trump supporters who believe Putin before our intelligence agencies. Then you have Tucker Carlson bringing in his lead guest right after the news conference who at the very least is a far left wing communist Putin loyalist who openly mourned the end of the Soviet Union and has spent the past decade doing non stop pro putin propaganda as a fair and balance expert on Russia when that is a total lie and he is most likely being paid by Russia to do what he does. Why lie and mislead your viewers?

So either Fox News does not vet their guests at all or they knew exactly what they were doing.

Something smells really bad here.
Come on man, you act like Fox News is a legitimate news source that all of a sudden has lost its way and is running interference for Trump. They are a propaganda network who has one job: Make the President look good. When you had a few Fox anchors offer up tepid criticism of the train wreck in Helsinki, it's because Trump forced them to with a performance that was largely unprecedented in American history.

Yet you still seem like you are conflicted on how Fox could make such a 'mistake' in vetting their guests. It was no mistake, they have an agenda, and it been obvious for about 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies