Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:32 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And we know that the tax will get passed on to the consumers as usual of course . So this is really a tax on everyone.
Just like tariffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 PM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seattle tried that and had to abolish it. The businesses, you know... those who actually EMPLOY the people living there, threatened to leave Seattle. Same will happen with San Francisco. Contributors are tired of footing the bill for failed liberal policies.
It's already starting to happen. 2 tech companies are moving from San Francisco to South Florida, and I've already made friends with several of their employees. Main reasons they moved is because the taxes and cost of living is lower in Florida than California.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
They should raise property taxes on the tech workers who can afford it. Sales taxes affect everyone, incl the poor.
Property taxes are legalized robbery.

Sales taxes are legalized theft.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I agree it’s a symptom of society . The breakdown of the family is a big one. What did some of these people do to have all their family and friends turn their backs on them and allow them to live on the streets?

Severe mental illness being ignored. The embracing/acceptance of homelessness as a life style choice .
I saw focus on treating the mentally ill and for the able bodied people make it so that the homeless lifestyle is not tolerated to the point where they will get fed up and get a straight job.

The homeless go to cities like SF and L.A because they know leadership is weak and soft and they can do as they please .
Not to mention the weather is mostly nice all year round. I think one of the reasons we in Florida don't see this magnitude of homelessness is because once or twice a year we have hurricanes that come in and clean the place out, literally. Plus, we have lots of churches here, and even though the government is encroaching on their hospitality more and more every year, they still offer shelters and programs to help people get some rest, clean up and get back on their feet.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The people who created the problem want to tax those who didn't create it so they can keep making it worse so they can keep taxing the people who didn't create it so...
Spot on here. This is the liberal tradition to create a problem, force regulation and taxation to correct it, worsening the problem and creating ten more unintended consequences.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's already starting to happen. 2 tech companies are moving from San Francisco to South Florida, and I've already made friends with several of their employees. Main reasons they moved is because the taxes and cost of living is lower in Florida than California.
For now, but only a matter of time before they vote in Democrat policies they are fleeing.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Id like to see you thrusted into a homeless situation and see how easily you can get out. Also you cant use family, you cant use your address, and you suffer from depression.
HA! My family was poor and homeless for a spell. We lived in a van and my dad helped out on the fishing docks and construction centers until he met a man who let us live in a tent till my dad could make enough money to get on his feet. He had a felon on his record, so him getting a normal job was out of the question, so he just did odd jobs here and there as a construction worker. He first started with a church where the pastor taught him the ropes, and later on he saved enough money so we finally got a house, and then he started to build boats and the rest is history. We didn't give up, we stayed together and my dad made it work, which is what a real man does to take care of his family.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
For now, but only a matter of time before they vote in Democrat policies they are fleeing.
I have to agree with you there. There was a time when Southern Democrats used to be there to help preserve and fight for the working class and country folk, but the past 20 years they turned their backs and have been forcing high property taxes and pushing urban sprawl to the country roads, and it's turning into a mess.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
More money will not fix the problem. It's like saying the schools in Baltimore and Chicago are failing because the teachers make 80k a year on average instead of 100k. They need results oriented solutions. They can start by enforcing the laws currently on the books, if someone is openly using drugs or defecating or even just blocking people's paths ARREST THEM.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Not to mention the weather is mostly nice all year round. I think one of the reasons we in Florida don't see this magnitude of homelessness is because once or twice a year we have hurricanes that come in and clean the place out, literally. Plus, we have lots of churches here, and even though the government is encroaching on their hospitality more and more every year, they still offer shelters and programs to help people get some rest, clean up and get back on their feet.
Yeah I’ve spent quite a bit of time in South Florida as I have family there. Definitely noticed a lot less homeless there even in the tourist type neighborhoods. I know Fort Lauderdale at one point had a law saying you couldn’t feed the homeless but I believe they overturned it .

I never saw any tents taking up sidewalks like you see in San Francisco or L.A

People won’t put up with that there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies