Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wages are reasonable. People earn what their skills are worth. The only thing causing a problem is that too many people believe they're somehow entitled to a lifestyle beyond their means. /SMH
How are wages reasonable when they don’t provide the ability to pay for housing, utilities, food, etc.?

Where should these wage slaves live?
Is it entitlement to want to be able to live somewhere other than the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It will settle... NYC's economy is huge... restaurants that can afford to pay employees a reasonable wage is plentiful. I don't believe that a business that cannot afford the $15 in NYC for its employees is a viable business.

You have people who complain about the welfare economy in NYC. The same people that complain and against reasonable wages relative the COL in NYC. Probably the same people that would complain if the price per plate or per cup of coffee doubles or triples with COL. You cannot have it both ways.

If the cost of bringing in a clothed, sheltered, healthy, rested, fed, able to work person in NYC cost $XX amount, then that's what it should be. Anything less would result in tax payer funded welfare to make up the difference..... welfare that the business benefits from. It is one or the other.

We hear all the time that employees shouldn't accept jobs they can't live off. The same can be said for businesses. If the business wants is willing to hire the cost of a homeless person sure.. have at it. If a business thinks it can survive and thrive in a lower COL area, move. People have been faced with the same decision for decades, deal with the high COL or move.
The restaurant business is a tough business with very small margins . People think these businesses are making a fortune but that’s not usually the case. If you have less of these businesses it means less places for people to get entry level work experience .
It seems some think a business should only open if they can pay workers 50k or 100k but the min wage workers usually don’t have the skills for those jobs otherwise they’d be working them .
These cities are actually encouraging more gentrification . We will likely see a lot of restaurants and other types of businesses convert to being luxury apartments /condos or space for tech startups . That’s not going to be beneficial for the poor in nyc .

Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How are wages reasonable when they don’t provide the ability to pay for housing, utilities, food, etc.?
They do provide the ability to pay if one has roommates. They need to live within their means. They're not entitled to any more than what they earn merely because they exist. Some people really need to grow up.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Where should these wage slaves live?
Is it entitlement to want to be able to live somewhere other than the street?
When you talk about housing are you talking Manhattan , the Bronx or parts of New Jersey ?

Should a restaurant only be allowed to operate if they can pay their cashiers and burger flippers enough so they can afford to live in $3000+ a month Manhattan apartments ?

Most of these folks are living with roommates or they live with family . That’s the way it works in these high costs cities . If they are living with family they often aren’t being charged anything .

I see the same thing in L.A. but low wage work doesn’t have to be a life sentence .

The richest man in the world one worked at McDonald’s, Jeff Bezos .

Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
They do provide the ability to pay if one has roommates. They need to live within their means. They're not entitled to any more than what they earn merely because they exist. Some people really need to grow up.
Right . How are being surviving now ? The idea that a restaurant can pay a cashier , cook or waiter enough to live in a $3000+ apartment in Manhattan by themselves is nuts . Plus all the other expenses .
In NYC even people making $100,000 a year have roommates .

People are willing to sacrifice privacy and housing space to live in that city . I don’t really see the appeal personally but I know a lot of people will do anything to live in NYC . It’s a big country but some people act like these high cost cities are the only place to live .

Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Nothing better demonstrates the failure of liberals to understand economics than unemployment due to mandatory minimal wages.

Democrats could make the minimal wage $100 an hour, it makes no difference, no business is going to sacrifice profits to pay burger flippers more money.

Even if the burger flipper gets more money, the studies show they just blow it on strip clubs, jewelry, alcohol, used luxury cars, flat screen TVS, and everything else besides education to advance up the social ladder.
Right. The same things people in your profession (if you even have one) do when they get more money.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:04 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Wages are reasonable. People earn what their skills are worth. The only thing causing a problem is that too many people believe they're somehow entitled to a lifestyle beyond their means. /SMH
Since NYC has a large number of working poor who draw from tax funded welfare, I would argue that the wages are NOT reasonable. Flip it around, what makes the business think it is entitled to the welfare that subsides their employees?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Since NYC has a large number of working poor who draw from tax funded welfare, I would argue that the wages are NOT reasonable.
Eliminate welfare. People should live within their means. There are no excuses to do otherwise except for those who are truly incapacitated.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Sure and they do pay more. Enough that you could provide for a family of 5 and own a home? No. But enough to attract someone willing to live with multiple roommates for awhile as they finish college or try to get some other career going? Sure.

If food service paid what it took to be a sole breadwinner for a household, people wouldn’t be able to afford the increased prices.

It’s a shell game. All that the minimum wage does is force inflation.

Did I say it should provide for family of five and allow them to own a home??? If I did, I was unaware of it. All I said, was that cost of living IS the employers problem, in response to someone who said it isn't. Call me crazy, but I do believe a full time job should pay enough to allow the person to pay rent/utilities, and eat. I know that sounds crazy to some of you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Right if the min wage was all one needed to buy a home and support a family etc why would most people even strive for more .

They think that a high school dropout should have the same lifestyle as a PhD .
Who has said that minimum wage should support a family and buy a home? Who has said that a high school dropout should have the same lifestyle as a PhD? You folks aren't living in reality.

Last edited by ImissThe90's; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling....

Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The restaurant business is a tough business with very small margins . People think these businesses are making a fortune but that’s not usually the case. If you have less of these businesses it means less places for people to get entry level work experience .
It seems some think a business should only open if they can pay workers 50k or 100k but the min wage workers usually don’t have the skills for those jobs otherwise they’d be working them .
These cities are actually encouraging more gentrification . We will likely see a lot of restaurants and other types of businesses convert to being luxury apartments /condos or space for tech startups . That’s not going to be beneficial for the poor in nyc .
Less places for people to work. Business will move out of NYC to try again. People will follow out of NYC to those jobs. I am ok with that. What I am not ok with is the current situation in which private businesses are taking advantage of subsidized labor.

Why all the uproar when it was revealed that Walmart's workers cost $6.2 billion in tax funded assistance but these businesses it is ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies