Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,844,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've known and worked with "poor people" all of my adult life.

1. They do have problems showing up for work on time. There's always some drama in their lives due to stupid friends or needy baby mommas. Or their ill-maintained or riced out older car breaks down.
In my last two positions, I worked in the hotel industry, wherein many employees at the bottom rung (ie: housekeepers, dishwashers, other janitorial staff) were undeniably 'poor'. While the hotel industry on the whole has a super high turnover of staff, there were still many in these positions who had been there for years but earning less than a living wage.

The vast majority of employees in these positions, even those who didn't last long, were good about being on time. Throughout my years in hotel management positions, checking the statements from the time clock system was frequently part of my role. Excessive tardiness was very rarely an issue.

Only one employee stands out as somebody who was frequently a few minutes late- and as she worked 3 jobs to support her family (and sometimes got delayed at one of her other jobs) she was cut a lot of slack for the longest time.

I'm sorry that you've been lumbered with some bad employees/coworkers over the years, but my personal experience significantly differs from yours.

Quote:
2. They don't like doing what they are told to at work. In fact, they tend to be smart-ass slackers who pride themselves with how little work they do and still get paid their full wages. One co-worker boasted to me how at another job, they avoided taking their 30-minute meal breaks in order to get paid "all the money", even though it was Federal law that they take a 30-minute meal break. Instead, they hid from their managers and ate on the sly.
Don't lie.

There is NO Federal law which mandates breaks. The FLSA makes no requirement for it. There are various state laws which require breaks, but those differ by state.

Any manager worth their salt would be checking the time clock statements before things got approved by the payroll dept. This should have been picked up and dealt with the very first time it happened, if it happened at all.

Quote:
3. Obey the law? They don't want to follow the rules, any rules. And any rule that they think is unimportant, they ignore and think that others should do the same.
I can only think of a few circumstances where employees at the "bottom" broke or stretched the rules- and they were usually rules that everybody broke, because they were stupid rules to begin with.

I.e.: if there was any food left over from the buffet at the end of service, it was all meant to go straight in the trash- even if it was a freshly/recently filled dish. Hotel Restaurant staff would make up "to go" boxes with leftovers for themselves and any other employee who asked, before any remainders were trashed as the 'rule' specified.

Quote:
4. Most anyone who is struggling with money has many children to support and they started making babies as teens or very young adults.
Which is precisely why we need to do more to improve our public education system and sex education in schools. It is also why we need to offer free birth control to women and teenaged girls, and have well funded, easily accessible services such as Planned Parenthood.

Quote:
And they are always shocked that I never had kids.
No comment.

Quote:
As if making babies were some irresistible biological drive.
Sex is part of Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs. It is considered a basic, physiological need for most in the animal kingdom, including humans.

Quote:
And the women get pregnant to mark their territory (their man) permanently
Even if he says he doesn't want kids, it doesn't matter to these women.

I'm sorry that the education system and your folks failed you so much, in terms of teaching you about sexual reproduction.

It takes a woman and a man to conceive a baby the traditional way. If men don't want to risk getting the woman pregnant, they can abstain or use contraception.

I could just as easily talk about the number of mem who leave women in the lurch after they get pregnant, if you're so determined to play the blame game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:51 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,089,164 times
Quote:

1. They do have problems showing up for work on time. There's always some drama in their lives due to stupid friends or needy baby mommas. Or their ill-maintained or riced out older car breaks down.

2. They don't like doing what they are told to at work. In fact, they tend to be smart-ass slackers who pride themselves with how little work they do and still get paid their full wages. One co-worker boasted to me how at another job, they avoided taking their 30-minute meal breaks in order to get paid "all the money", even though it was Federal law that they take a 30-minute meal break. Instead, they hid from their managers and ate on the sly.

3. Obey the law? They don't want to follow the rules, any rules. And any rule that they think is unimportant, they ignore and think that others should do the same.

4. Most anyone who is struggling with money has many children to support and they started making babies as teens or very young adults. And they are always shocked that I never had kids. As if making babies were some irresistible biological drive. And the women get pregnant to mark their territory (their man) permanently. Even if he says he doesn't want kids, it doesn't matter to these women.
Its because they know that said rules only apply to them not to the rich buisenss owners. Employees are subject to drug testing, not the owners. Etc etc.

Once someone has resigned to being homeless they are actually free, they can then follow the same rules as the rich rulers and when they are fired they just hang out on public lands.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:15 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,262,473 times
So you are telling me that giving more money to people who will then spend it at other businesses is bad for the economy? Do some people in here really think that paying people as little as possible is going to enhance spending? If people only have enough for the basics they will not be spending it on businesses but apparently some people on here think that people not having money will magically cause them to go out and buy stuff.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:33 PM

18,555 posts, read 7,322,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
Restaurants where staff earn tips are subject to a $5 per hour tip credit, but must pay $10 per hour. That is nearly double the 2014 minimum wage of $8 with a $3 tip credit.
Someone's arithmetic is really bad.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:12 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,089,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So you are telling me that giving more money to people who will then spend it at other businesses is bad for the economy? Do some people in here really think that paying people as little as possible is going to enhance spending? If people only have enough for the basics they will not be spending it on businesses but apparently some people on here think that people not having money will magically cause them to go out and buy stuff.
They hope that people will keep spending on credit so that they can both get the excess labor output and the sales. They know its a house of cards but because our economy is so large and complex they are gambling on not having the hot potatoe when the music stops. If they can get theirs and get to the caribian then what to they care.

When the music stops there will be elites without a chair but I figures things would have colapsed long ago and they are still able to prop it up, but its becoming clear that people are running out of credit because the homeless are rapidly increasing nation wide so the music box is slowing down. The rich are probably scrambing to come up with some kind of scheme.

The biggest card the elite have is the indirect use of the US military to squelch anything that is a threat to the dollar because if the dollar colapses, most other world currancies will be hurting and the swiss are not going to take in every fleeing elite with their phony currancy.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:04 AM

16,960 posts, read 12,529,424 times
Quote:

4. Most anyone who is struggling with money has many children to support and they started making babies as teens or very young adults. And they are always shocked that I never had kids. As if making babies were some irresistible biological drive. And the women get pregnant to mark their territory (their man) permanently. Even if he says he doesn't want kids, it doesn't matter to these women.
Managed MANY poor people. Worked with a ton others.

Your generalization is inaccurate.

Some are guilty of the 4 above. Most are not. #1 Riced out car sounds like the stupidity Jason Chavetz said when he claimed poor people buy a new 600 dollar phone every month. As for #4... really? Yes it happens on occasion but you drastically overstate the commonality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies