Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/n...ump-cuomo.html

Not enough room in the headline for a detailed explanation, but that is in effect what NY & 3 other states claim: a right to foist their high tax structures off onto the other 46 states.

The demise of the SALT deductions in Trump's 2017 tax cut has been one of his greatest, and under-reported achievements. Before that a state could jack up their taxes to the moon, knowing that their rich residents would be able to deduct from their federal taxes. But taxpayers in other states were left with the bill to make up the shortfall of federal revenue.

Starting next year, Gov. Andrew Cuomo knows that he can expect masses of angry missives from NY taxpayers demanding state tax relief. Doubtless he doesn't want to deal with that, so instead he sues.

Fortunately, according to the 'experts' queried by the NYT, most think that the lawsuit has little chance. In other words. Cuomo is wasting more taxpayer dollars. What he should be doing is buckling down to figure out how to cut taxes and spending, since Trump shut down his little scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:40 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Yeah these high tax states have provided all these rich benefits to their citizens and then stuck the bill to the poor red states...well, no more. Time for the tax heavy blue states to pay their fair share.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Try again

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Old 07-18-2018, 12:46 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Actually those states tend to have less favorable send/receive ratios for sending tax to the feds than the poorer red states.

Nice try tho.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
If these services are state or city specific, the state or city needs to find a way to fund those services.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That's a separate issue. The states that receive a disproportionately low level of federal money should be at their US house member's doorstep asking for redress. Every state has their congressional delegation that is supposed to watch things like this.

This is about state and local taxes, and the ability to push them off onto the other states. Trump dealt with that issue in his tax cut legislation. Having closed down that illegitimate pathway, maybe Congress can look at fixing the one you're concerned with.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Maryland(Baltimore) filed the suit.

They are all Democrat ****holes where the middle class is exiting in droves and headed South.

If the people in those states want some relief, get rid of entitled idiots like Cuomo and stop watching his equally idiiotic brother on TV.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's a separate issue. The states that receive a disproportionately low level of federal money should be at their US house member's doorstep asking for redress. Every state has their congressional delegation that is supposed to watch things like this.

This is about state and local taxes, and the ability to push them off onto the other states. Trump dealt with that issue in his tax cut legislation. Having closed down that illegitimate pathway, maybe Congress can look at fixing the one you're concerned with.
LOL you want to talk about one side of the street and ignore the other.

The lawsuit will go nowhere but do not mistake this for anything but a middle finger from the GOP to blue states. Life goes on. Im rich enough to pay Fed Income tax but not rich enough to worry about the SALT cut off. Not rich enough to own a house in NJ where middle class in the northern part starts at like 118K.

I want to leave NJ simply because of cost. I look at what I earn which is well above the median and think "I earn this and Im freaking poor!??!" Otoh all but the worst schools here are well above red state averages as measured by college entry tests.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LOL you want to talk about one side of the street and ignore the other.

The lawsuit will go nowhere but do not mistake this for anything but a middle finger from the GOP to blue states. Life goes on. Im rich enough to pay Fed Income tax but not rich enough to worry about the SALT cut off. Not rich enough to own a house in NJ where middle class in the northern part starts at like 118K.

I want to leave NJ simply because of cost. I look at what I earn which is well above the median and think "I earn this and Im freaking poor!??!" Otoh all but the worst schools here are well above red state averages as measured by college entry tests.
Well from what I read in the Bergen Record, the 3 or 4 NJ Republican Congressional representatives have their heads on the chopping block. Maybe if Congress flips, they could pass a law stating that Federal dollars have to be spent in any given state proportional to the amount they send to the Feds. Then, maybe New Jersey could get back more than the 38 cents per dollar that they send to the Feds and your local taxes would drop a bit!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well from what I read in the Bergen Record, the 3 or 4 NJ Republican Congressional representatives have their heads on the chopping block. Maybe if Congress flips, they could pass a law stating that Federal dollars have to be spent in any given state proportional to the amount they send to the Feds. Then, maybe New Jersey could get back more than the 38 cents per dollar that they send to the Feds and your local taxes would drop a bit!
LOL trade ya locations. I love Charlotte. Have a friend in Waxhaw. Well not really Waxhaw as he lives in a McMansion but Waxhaw zip.

Its all BS anyway. The Dems will reciprocate at some point in the future plus make sure boys who think they are girls on sports teams take shower with girls. Note the .01% did better than the lower upper class businessman that fills out the ranks of the GOP which I find kind of funny.

Also funny is how GOP members will not attack police pensions which can exceed 100K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies