Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:51 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times

Advertisements

Here we go again. New ranking out today by USA Today. And like most of these state economy rankings, blue states dominate the top of the list.

Which state tops list for having the best and worst economies?

Top 10:
1. Colorado
2. Utah
3. Massachusetts
4. New Hampshire
5. Washington
6. Hawaii
7. Minnesota
8. California
9. Idaho
10. Maryland

Only Utah and Idaho are sure-fire red states, I'll be nice and say Colorado and New Hampshire are purple states. That makes 6 sure-fire blue states, plus the 2 purple ones. So I'll compromise and call it "7" blue states at the top of the list.

Now we go to the bottom 10 of the list. And guess what? Yup, you guessed it: It's dominated by red states.

41. Oklahoma
42. Wyoming
43. Arkansas
44. Alabama
45. Kentucky
46. New Mexico
47. Mississippi
48. Louisiana
49. Alaska
50. West Virginia

New Mexico is basically the only blue state on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 05:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Thanks, James!

And, you know, while I was looking at your list, I was thinking: Why do people always focus on money? What if there were some way they could see who was happiest? Well, that's tricky because it's so subjective and self-reporting. But, then, what if you looked at healthiest?

And, gee, guess what? There's a lot of overlap. Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Hawaii are also among the healthiest. And it probably won't surprise you that West Virginia, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Oklahoma are among the unhealthiest.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks, James!

And, you know, while I was looking at your list, I was thinking: Why do people always focus on money? What if there were some way they could see who was happiest? Well, that's tricky because it's so subjective and self-reporting. But, then, what if you looked at healthiest?

And, gee, guess what? There's a lot of overlap. Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Hawaii are also among the healthiest. And it probably won't surprise you that West Virginia, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Oklahoma are among the unhealthiest.
Somewhat related, here's a map I just found:
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/4...-for-2016.html

Old 08-28-2018, 07:25 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Somewhat related, here's a map I just found:
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/4...-for-2016.html
Isn't it ironic that the states with the highest cancer rates that also could probably stand to benefit the most from universal healthcare deny their own needs by electing politicians that would rather they just go without healthcare or simply absorb the healthcare costs themselves. Oh wait? Absorb it themselves? These are also the poorest states in the nation too. These people couldn't pay for private insurance anyway.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks, James!

Poverty also often correlates with obesity and obesity- related health conditions- primarily due to the low cost of carbs and processed foods, in addition to poor education on nutrition.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here we go again. New ranking out today by USA Today. And like most of these state economy rankings, blue states dominate the top of the list.

Which state tops list for having the best and worst economies?

Top 10:
1. Colorado
2. Utah
3. Massachusetts
4. New Hampshire
5. Washington
6. Hawaii
7. Minnesota
8. California
9. Idaho
10. Maryland

Only Utah and Idaho are sure-fire red states, I'll be nice and say Colorado and New Hampshire are purple states. That makes 6 sure-fire blue states, plus the 2 purple ones. So I'll compromise and call it "7" blue states at the top of the list.

Now we go to the bottom 10 of the list. And guess what? Yup, you guessed it: It's dominated by red states.

41. Oklahoma
42. Wyoming
43. Arkansas
44. Alabama
45. Kentucky
46. New Mexico
47. Mississippi
48. Louisiana
49. Alaska
50. West Virginia

New Mexico is basically the only blue state on there.

please DEFINE what a red or blue state are....

Old 08-28-2018, 07:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Good post, James Bond.

Let's see how long it takes for deflection about Obama, Hillary, California, the Dakotas and Fake News

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
Maybe you should thank trump instead of constantly running him down
I regret to inform you that these patterns have been about the same for many years, long pre-dating when Trump took office. Blue states have been dominating US economic activity for many years.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
please DEFINE what a red or blue state are....
Translation: You don't like the pattern, so you're looking for an excuse to dismiss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies