Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Retirees who are bored or want to supplement their pensions now can.

“In a tight labor market, firms find recent retirees increasingly attractive,” said Kathleen Christensen, who funds research on aging and the American labor market at the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. “Their skills are up-to-date, they possess critical institutional knowledge, and they can mentor younger workers.

The tight labor market has also secured higher wages for overtime workers and high-paying, coveted white-collar jobs for American teenagers.

Most recently, Breitbart News reported that the construction industry has had to recruit women to take jobs at higher wages rather than hiring illegal aliens. A Chick-Fil-A in California has even raised wages to $18 an hour to retain workers.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ican-retirees/
I'm not going back to work because there is a hot job market -- I'm going to work so I can help pay for health care in our retirement.

Haven't worked for 20 years. I've been volunteering in classrooms, on finance committees, etc.....but no paid work.

Now I need to get paid.

Retiring in the USA sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm not going back to work because there is a hot job market -- I'm going to work so I can help pay for health care in our retirement.

You still qualify for Medicare.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You still qualify for Medicare.
Yeah but everything I've read says that Medicare alone is not enough.

We have no major health issues -- no medication, nothing...but as we age -- things will pop up.

I

Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So, overall wage growth is about zero. Wages are low anyway.....40% of Americans say they can't come up with $400 cash. Consumer debt is at the highest ever, as is student debt.

The DOW has made 1% for the first 6+ months of the year. Gas is MUCH more expensive, as is health care (and gonna get MUCH worse as Trump destroys the skin-in-the-game)....

But, wow, things are great.

The Mercers...billionaires who own Breitbart, are doing great. But claims of this amazing boom that happened just when Trump took office - total BS and anyone who looks knows it. We have had a slow, but consistent, recovery for at least 6 years - longer if you look at the charts.

This so-called amazing, greatest ever....YUGE economic boom should mean at least an "average" BULL return for stocks like Warren Buffets or other top mutual funds. I remember getting 15% or 20% returns in many of the good years. Yet we have 1% in 6 months and the Trumpies are shouting from the rooftops!

Note - this "great" economy even includes 1.5 TRILLION in free money borrowed from our children...and given to the corporations (largely) that are up that 1% in 2018.

The only thing that is fair to say is that the GW Bush 2008 Recession is largely over (the repercussions will take even longer, tho) and that Trump has not yet created a Global recession or depression. But to say that a 1% drop in unemployment (a continuation of a 5.5% point drop under Obama) is some great shakes....it total BS.

Pie in the Sky. And I say that as an investor and someone who 100% needs to live off that particular savings. I'm not feeling it and the performance graphs in Fidelity and Vanguard aren't showing it.

Now- if I owned some real estate in the Bay Area...then we could talk growth.

The summary has been given by every economist who actually looks at the data...no, not those who send out tweets saying "woo hoo". That is..the rich are getting much richer, but the average joe and john are not getting anywhere.
They own some of it, along with Larry Solov and Susie Breitbart (Andrew Breitbart's widow).

Do you know what percentage the Mercers own?

I doubt it.

Solov appeared before a Standing Committee of the Senate Press Gallery in order to secure press credentials for the site.

Solov had to admit to that committee that he owns the site, along with Susie Breitbart and the Mercer family.

Solov also said in that hearing "I want to disclose as little as possible about financial and ownership structure".

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...mercer-family/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies