Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.
knee jerk ad hominems will forever keep you an INDENTURED SERVANT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sigh he addressed it here, Coates arguments derive from Rothstein's research:
Coates' argument revolves primarily around housing discrimination and how that impacts wealth; the quotes from Rothstein pertain to income and as residinghere2007 already stated, income and wealth are two different things. The writer didn't address any of Coates' points regarding housing discrimination in the mid-20th century at all.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:02 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Even if the kid is completely wrong and slavery and what came after is the cause, what does that leave you with? Nothing but an excuse. Your 30 acres and a mule aren't walking through the door.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
We have successfully black lawyers, doctors, engineers, Supreme Court justice, athletes, celebrities, military officers, businessmen, entrepreneurs, millionaires, billionaires, judges, and a former POTUS.

Slavery! It’s stopping blacks from success!

A black person in any other country would kill someone to live here. African immigrants here never whine or complain here, and get highly educated.

African Americans are the white people of the black global community and all we do is whine.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Even if the kid is completely wrong and slavery and what came after is the cause, what does that leave you with? Nothing but an excuse. Your 30 acres and a mule aren't walking through the door.
It's not an "excuse" if it accurately explains what happened and why it happened.

Thirty acres and a mile? No. But policies on the state and federal levels can be crafted to help reduce the racial wealth gap and growing income inequality in general.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
We have successfully black lawyers, doctors, engineers, Supreme Court justice, athletes, celebrities, military officers, businessmen, entrepreneurs, millionaires, billionaires, judges, and a former POTUS.

Slavery! It’s stopping blacks from success!

A black person in any other country would kill someone to live here. African immigrants here never whine or complain here, and get highly educated.

African Americans are the white people of the black global community and all we do is whine.
Not sure you're in the right thread as nobody's talking about "success;" the subject is racial wealth disparities.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I was wondering, you stated that the wealth gap did not cause blacks to fall away from the pursuit of a middle or even upper class lifestyle. In your opinion, what is the cause then of these failures?
What I have experienced, is that these young men are brainwashed into believing that they aren't black unless they act a certain way. It is hard for me to come to terms with. These were kids I knew, that I hung out with in middle school, I was close friends with many of them. Then the 9th grade comes, and they changed. They no longer cared about school. They wouldn't hang out with me anymore. They became "cliquish". One kid, Antonio, I knew his mom. We stayed at each others houses many times in middle school. We played football together. One day, I'm at lunch and I go to sit down across from him, and the grabs my tray and knocks my food on the floor, tells me "crackers sit over there", and walks off. I just walked away. I never spoke to him again. He didn't even graduate high school. He stands out because we were in advanced math in the 6th and 7th grade.

There are some very educated black men here, have you experienced this in your own families. I don't believe for one second that these were "bad" kids. They just kind of accepted this horrible life, it's like they gave up. I grew up in a very poor area. Google Belle Glade, FL. Look at the Wikipedia page.

For those that say it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand, I don't think it is. Of course slavery had an impact on the Blacks of America. Of course Jim Crow and systemic racism had a hand. Those things alone simply can't explain why so many black men today, are choosing this thug lifestyle, teaching it to the younger generations. We are 4 generations removed from the civil rights era. Those born in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. 40 years later, it seems to be getting worse. Black on Black crime is rampant in certain parts of the country.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:02 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
What I have experienced, is that these young men are brainwashed into believing that they aren't black unless they act a certain way. It is hard for me to come to terms with. These were kids I knew, that I hung out with in middle school, I was close friends with many of them. Then the 9th grade comes, and they changed. They no longer cared about school. They wouldn't hang out with me anymore. They became "cliquish". One kid, Antonio, I knew his mom. We stayed at each others houses many times in middle school. We played football together. One day, I'm at lunch and I go to sit down across from him, and the grabs my tray and knocks my food on the floor, tells me "crackers sit over there", and walks off. I just walked away. I never spoke to him again. He didn't even graduate high school. He stands out because we were in advanced math in the 6th and 7th grade.

There are some very educated black men here, have you experienced this in your own families. I don't believe for one second that these were "bad" kids. They just kind of accepted this horrible life, it's like they gave up. I grew up in a very poor area. Google Belle Glade, FL. Look at the Wikipedia page.

For those that say it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand, I don't think it is. Of course slavery had an impact on the Blacks of America. Of course Jim Crow and systemic racism had a hand. Those things alone simply can't explain why so many black men today, are choosing this thug lifestyle, teaching it to the younger generations. We are 4 generations removed from the civil rights era. Those born in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. 40 years later, it seems to be getting worse. Black on Black crime is rampant in certain parts of the country.

A generation is considered 25 years, roughly, so we are hardly 4 generation removed from the civil rights era.

If your original disease is diabetes.....if it goes to long without proper treatment it can create problems in the kidneys, with vision and other. People don't think of it that way. In other words, they don't think of the complications that arise from centuries of untreated racism and the impact it may have on black psychology, culture and the like.

Maybe if society had given blacks an equal chance there would have been much less concentrated poverty in the black community and therefore less factors that would lead to hustling as a means of getting your piece of the American pie. When you grow up in an area where the people with money, women, cars, cloths, etc....are hustling something illegal, you see that as your means as well, often times.

I just do not see the black condition as being a result of being black in anyway. Its how any group of humans would have ended up if exposed to the scenario we were exposed to. The only relationship it has to being black is that blacks were the group targeted in this scenario. I don't care whatever race you replace us with, they would be in the same economic, cultural, social, behavioral and psychological conditions of African Americans today. It's not like blacks are behaving and performing atypical to the condition we were exposed to, meaning that it's not a "black condition" but rather the "human condition".

This is the thing that I don't understand. If you assume to separate entities are EQUAL the ONLY thing that would explain the entities becoming unequal is if they were treated differently by their environments. Its only when you question whether the entities are indeed or ever were inherently equal that you then don't understand notwithstanding all the evidence of blacks being treated differently.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah this is a strawman as I never made such an argument.

It's very telling that you aren't engaging any of us on the actual points of the essay.
That point was made in the essay.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure you're in the right thread as nobody's talking about "success;" the subject is racial wealth disparities.
Not sure you’re in the right world. There will also be racial disparities. Income, health, housing, wealth, education, etc.

You’ll be long dead before you can sit around waiting for things to ever be equal. Asian Americans actually have the highest median income I believe. How’s that for racial disparity?

Breaking news, nothing will ever be equal because life is not fair. You do the best you can with the cards that life deals you. And being born in America is a pretty sweet deal.

You’re only wasting your life waiting for some magical utopia to appear. I’m living my best life right now as a black man born in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies